Week 1 Score Thread

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Week 1 Score Thread

Post by SuperHornet »

#11 Central Arkansas beat #10 Austin Peay 24-17 in the FCS Kickoff event at Montgomery, AL last night before an estimated 2K crowd, properly social distanced and wearing masks (allegedly).

The Governors dropped a bomb on the Bears on the opening play from scrimmage with a 75-yard run for a touchdown, but it was mostly downhill from there for Peay, as their OL had problems with the UCA defensive line all night long. Returning star QB Jeremiah Oatsvall was barely able to hang in there as UCA held a 17-10 lead late into the fourth quarter before a drive that tied the score, capped by an Oatsvall one-yard run with about two minutes or so left. The tie didn't last long, though, as a weary Governor defense allowed a quick UCA score. Oatsvall had no quit, however, as he called his own number on a ballsy quarterback draw on 4th and 10 with 8 seconds left in the game, ducking out of bounds with two ticks left. It was all for naught, however, as the clock ran out as his OL caved on the last play, forcing his Hail Mary to fall woefully short.

This game was majorly affected by COVID issues, from lack of conditioning for the Peay OL to lack of practice time (an early snap went over the Peay punter's head for a UCA safety). There were also officiating issues, including hot mikes (one official was heard to mutter "GD masks!" on Peay's opening TD run), coaches having mask issues, and problems with the electronic whistles that replaced physical whistles over COVID concerns. There was even a delay of game against the UCA DEFENSE for a late substitution (which it appeared that UCA felt was either NOT late, or they were not aware of that rule). Hopefully, these issues are cleared up as teams get in more practice time, and officials get more practice with their new gear.

Anyways, college football has started! It's about time.

Upcoming D-I schedule (Lots of FBS/FCS intermixing as teams scramble to schedule due to COVID hangups; odds courtesy of Yahoo! Sports.)

THU 03 SEP:

South Alabama at Southern Miss, 1800 PT (USM -14, O/U 52.5)

SAT 05 SEP:

Eastern Kentucky at Marshall, 1000 PT (No odds.)
Middle Tennessee State at Army, 1030 PT (Army - 5.5, O/U 54.5)
SMU at Texas State, 1330 PT (SMU -21, O/U 65.5)
Houston Baptist at North Texas, 1630 PT (No odds.)
Arkansas State at FBS #17 Memphis State, 1700 PT (Memphis State -20, O/U 71.5)
Stephen F. Austin at UTEP, 1800 PT (No odds.)

MON 07 SEP (Labor Day)

BYU at FBS #20 Navy, 1700 PT (Navy -3, O/U 53.5)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Week 1 Score Thread

Post by Ivytalk »

I hear Liberty is changing its name from the Flames to the Poolboys.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:06 pm I hear Liberty is changing its name from the Flames to the Poolboys.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Liberty Cucks.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:Liberty Cucks.
Liberty Goat Head Pentagram Cunt Farts would be my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Jealous, we don't have a game until October.