Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Teams folding

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:10 pm BDK: College sports aren't like the NFL. Short of the Vanderbilt option (which would be VERY difficult at best in the numbers which would be required; even Vanderbilt only did it for the kicker position), you can't just sign a bunch of free agents. There's very little wiggle room to schedule replacement games. As disappointing as it is, these schools likely evaluated the one-platoon scenario and possibly even the Vanderbilt option, and concluded that such things wouldn't work in their case. For me, while I'm highly disappointed, I say welcome them back in the fall without all the griping. Yes, they're making the season harder for their scheduled opponents, but there ARE solutions available for them (except maybe for those they were scheduled to play this weekend). We COULD record these as forfeit wins for those they were scheduled to play, though I'm not sure if that helps for playoff selection and seeding.

Quit this liberal name-calling. There's a HUGE difference between light-hearted teasing (like "Suck State") and this vindictiveness. It's unbecoming....
What the heck is the Vanderbilt option? Getting a female kicker as a publicity stunt?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm Other teams of note on BDkkk's list of quitters:
  • Evansville basketball, 1977-1978
  • Marshall football, 1970
  • Cal Poly football, 1960
:roll:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm Other teams of note on BDkkk's list of quitters:
When a team asked a lady from the girls soccer team to step in and kick, he went bezerk. Just a guy that likes to complain.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Teams messing with BDkkk

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm
They quit in the middle of their seasons because they didn't have enough players.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm
They quit in the middle of their seasons because they didn't have enough players.
Yeah, almost an entire team dying in a plane crash is comparable to publics with probably around 70+ of 90+ players available..:dunce:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:10 pm BDK: College sports aren't like the NFL. Short of the Vanderbilt option (which would be VERY difficult at best in the numbers which would be required; even Vanderbilt only did it for the kicker position), you can't just sign a bunch of free agents. There's very little wiggle room to schedule replacement games. As disappointing as it is, these schools likely evaluated the one-platoon scenario and possibly even the Vanderbilt option, and concluded that such things wouldn't work in their case. For me, while I'm highly disappointed, I say welcome them back in the fall without all the griping. Yes, they're making the season harder for their scheduled opponents, but there ARE solutions available for them (except maybe for those they were scheduled to play this weekend). We COULD record these as forfeit wins for those they were scheduled to play, though I'm not sure if that helps for playoff selection and seeding.

Quit this liberal name-calling. There's a HUGE difference between light-hearted teasing (like "Suck State") and this vindictiveness. It's unbecoming....
You think I'm bad. :roll: MaineJeff is trolling all over the JMU board, and I'm thinking he's probably on the UD board, too. So I go over there, and sure enough, MaineJeff is trolling over all the UD board, too. Meanwhile, I notice on the UD board they have a big thread about Albany quitting. LOTS of posts as critical if not more so than mine. Apparently Albany has 95 players on their roster, and vs SBU last Sat had a sideline full of players. If you think any of these quitter these schools were anywhere remotely close to having to as you put it "one platoon scenario" then I have some oceanfront property in the Mojave to sell you. Injuries is the just the excuse for being a bunch of quitters, sore losers, and bad conference mates.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:09 pm

What the heck is the Vanderbilt option? Getting a female kicker as a publicity stunt?
One, it wasn't just a publicity stunt. They found a legitimate kicker to fill a need provoked by the COVID crisis. And she did exactly what was asked of her, something the rest of the team can't say. But I'm not intending this to convey that recruiting from the student body should be restricted to girls. Find ANYONE in the student body (though they would most likely come from volunteers in other sports programs already at the school). Kickers would likely come from the soccer team, wide outs and running backs from the track team (heck, linemen could also come from the shot putters and discus throwers on the track team), and tight ends could come from post-players on the basketball team (think Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and Tony Gonzalez). Heck, my own cross-town rivals, Tokay High, produced a guy who played mostly hoops, including two trips to the NCAA Tournament with Portland State, until finding his groove as a tight end, and did great things in the NFL. His name is Julius Thomas.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

WIU are the lastet quitters.

SIU HC nails it:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyP2x4lWEAAabZZ.jpg
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNH quits.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

:lol: And then not even use her for something more than a squib kick??
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:27 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Yeah, almost an entire team dying in a plane crash is comparable to publics with probably around 70+ of 90+ players available..:dunce:
Don't make excuses for those quitters! That was just fake news.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Wofford announced Monday its football team is opting out of the remainder of the spring season due to a shortage of available players with COVID-19 opt-outs and injuries.

The program would've fallen short of Southern Conference guidelines regarding having a mandated number of players available for specific position groups. The canceled games are Saturday at Western Carolina and April 17 at Furman.
https://www.goupstate.com/story/sports/ ... 094941002/

Really - they couldn't stand the loss to The Citadel so they're taking their ball and going home.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 am
:lol: And then not even use her for something more than a squib kick??
She also kicked a couple extra-points the following week.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

URI (2-1) quits..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:52 pm Quitters list:
-ILSU (1-3)
-Albany (1-3)
-Cal Poly (0-3)
-Chattanooga (3-2/3-1) (Quit today). Chattanooga still had 3 games left, and was still in the running for the So-Con title. Why would they pull pull puss?
-WIU (1-5)
-Wofford (1-4)
-UNH (0-1)
-URI (2-1)
Bump..