I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Teams folding

Post by BDKJMU »

Quitters list:
-ILSU (1-3)
-Albany (1-3)
-Cal Poly (0-3)
-Chattanooga (3-2/3-1) (Quit today). Chattanooga still had 3 games left, and was still in the running for the So-Con title. Why would they pull pull puss?
-WIU (1-5)
-Wofford (1-4)
-UNH (0-1)
-URI (2-1)
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Teams folding

Post by CID1990 »

The Citadel could potentially pull the plug but we’ll see.

Between opt outs and NCAA suspensions due to a campus bookstore compliance SNAFU, we are basically playing with our scout team. We dressed something like just 35 players against Samford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:11 pm The Citadel could potentially pull the plug but we’ll see.

Between opt outs and NCAA suspensions due to a campus bookstore compliance SNAFU, we are basically playing with our scout team. We dressed something like just 35 players against Samford

You mean the Citadel (0-9), likely 0-11, is going to duck playing VMI (5-0), likely 6-0?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:11 pm The Citadel could potentially pull the plug but we’ll see.

You mean the Citadel (0-9), likely 0-11, is going to duck playing VMI (5-0), likely 6-0?
We may not have a choice - if we halt the season it will be because we literally don’t have the roster. We could actually have a player or two playing both ways.

We may also not have a QB

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I understand pulling out due to COVID reasons, but when you have teams like Albany pull out because they don't want to lose any more games then you have to question why they even started playing in the first place. Heck, Albany quit on Wednesday, again nothing to do with COVID, and left UD with no time to get a replacement game. And they had just upped the allowable capacity at the stadium and tickets were pretty much sold out for the reduced stadium side. Weak move on Albany's part for sure.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 am I understand pulling out due to COVID reasons, but when you have teams like Albany pull out because they don't want to lose any more games then you have to question why they even started playing in the first place. Heck, Albany quit on Wednesday, again nothing to do with COVID, and left UD with no time to get a replacement game. And they had just upped the allowable capacity at the stadium and tickets were pretty much sold out for the reduced stadium side. Weak move on Albany's part for sure.
Sounds like Albany quit because of number of injuries, similar to Illinois St. Not enough players at certain position groups can really take a team down.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 am I understand pulling out due to COVID reasons, but when you have teams like Albany pull out because they don't want to lose any more games then you have to question why they even started playing in the first place. Heck, Albany quit on Wednesday, again nothing to do with COVID, and left UD with no time to get a replacement game. And they had just upped the allowable capacity at the stadium and tickets were pretty much sold out for the reduced stadium side. Weak move on Albany's part for sure.
Sounds like Albany quit because of number of injuries, similar to Illinois St. Not enough players at certain position groups can really take a team down.
Sure. Good thing injuries don't happen in the fall when we play football. Certainly wouldn't want teams opting not to continue the season in the fall for the same rationale. QB is a pretty shallow position in terms of numbers. I think it's a great idea if we just skip games when we think our starting QB might be unable to play. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Which they could have done on Sunday (like ILSU did) or Monday, so UD would have time to get a replacement opponent (ex CAA this weekend W&M off because Elon virus protocols, and SBU has a scheduled bye). Complete BS move by Albany. If you're a public, you likely have 90+ to 100+ on a roster. If you have 50+ players available, you can play. Heck, sounds like the Citadel is doing it with less than that, but the military isn't filled with a bunch of quitters. Guys can switch positions. Its one thing to say before the season that you're not playing (Towson, the Montana schools, Sac St, etc). Its one thing if down to 2-3 games left an you have a virus breakout. Another thing just to quit ecause "Wah, we have too many injuries, we suck, and can't win the conference title or make the playoffs, leaving your opponents, and the fans of the schools, in the lurch. What these quitter teams are doing is no different than a 1-7 or 2-6 team quitting in late Oct/early Nov.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 am

Which they could have done on Sunday (like ILSU did) or Monday, so UD would have time to get a replacement opponent (ex CAA this weekend W&M off because Elon virus protocols, and SBU has a scheduled bye). Complete BS move by Albany. If you're a public, you likely have 90+ to 100+ on a roster. If you have 50+ players available, you can play. Heck, sounds like the Citadel is doing it with less than that, but the military isn't filled with a bunch of quitters. Guys can switch positions. Its one thing to say before the season that you're not playing (Towson, the Montana schools, Sac St, etc). Its one thing if down to 2-3 games left an you have a virus breakout. Another thing just to quit ecause "Wah, we have too many injuries, we suck, and can't win the conference title or make the playoffs, leaving your opponents, and the fans of the schools, in the lurch. What these quitter teams are doing is no different than a 1-7 or 2-6 team quitting in late Oct/early Nov.
You should probably talk to the Albany AD. I'm sure his email and phone are public information. He would be interested in your input. I could really care less why they quit.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:15 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 am
You should probably talk to the Albany AD. I'm sure his email and phone are public information. He would be interested in your input. I could really care less why they quit.
Obviously not, since you bothered to read about why they claimed to have quit, then bothered to post on it. :lol:
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 am Sounds like Albany quit because of number of injuries, similar to Illinois St. Not enough players at certain position groups can really take a team down.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Robert BDK Byrd wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:32 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:15 am

Obviously not, since you bothered to read about why they claimed to have quit, then bothered to post on it. :lol:
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 am Sounds like Albany quit because of number of injuries, similar to Illinois St. Not enough players at certain position groups can really take a team down.
You should probably talk to the Albany AD. I'm sure his email and phone are public information. He would be interested in your input.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:05 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:32 am
You should probably talk to the Albany AD. I'm sure his email and phone are public information. He would be interested in your input.
Ok, Gil Biden, whatever you say there. Isn't it your nap time?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Robert BDK Byrd wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:05 am

Ok, Gil Biden, whatever you say there. Isn't it your nap time?
OK Robert BDK Byrd.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Looks like the CAA is cancelling all games for the rest of the season, including Delaware and JMU football games.

CAA Football News Link
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not sure I like the description of these decisions as the teams "folding." If that were the case, these schools would become I-AAA schools. While these decisions are disappointing, it sounds like they plan on fully competing in the 2021 fall season. I understand the angst, as they COULD have done what Vanderbilt did in the fall, only on a larger scale. Playing both ways would also have been an option, as it was back in the day. As a coach, I would have pushed BOTH of those options before throwing in the towel. But labeling someone a "quitter" and a program as "folding" when they clearly plan on playing in the fall is counterproductive, IMO.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:35 pm I'm not sure I like the description of these decisions as the teams "folding." If that were the case, these schools would become I-AAA schools. While these decisions are disappointing, it sounds like they plan on fully competing in the 2021 fall season. I understand the angst, as they COULD have done what Vanderbilt did in the fall, only on a larger scale. Playing both ways would also have been an option, as it was back in the day. As a coach, I would have pushed BOTH of those options before throwing in the towel. But labeling someone a "quitter" and a program as "folding" when they clearly plan on playing in the fall is counterproductive, IMO.
They ARE QUITTING on the season that they committed to play because of "injuries", not the virus. A lame excuse, because EVERY team gets injuries every season. If they weren't committed to playing the whole season, they should have sat out. They're like the sore loser kid who takes his ball and goes home. If JMU was 1-3 and just quit on their last 2-3 games, not because of the virus, but because a "too many injuries", I'd be done with them..I hope other schools use it against the quitters in recruiting..
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDK: College sports aren't like the NFL. Short of the Vanderbilt option (which would be VERY difficult at best in the numbers which would be required; even Vanderbilt only did it for the kicker position), you can't just sign a bunch of free agents. There's very little wiggle room to schedule replacement games. As disappointing as it is, these schools likely evaluated the one-platoon scenario and possibly even the Vanderbilt option, and concluded that such things wouldn't work in their case. For me, while I'm highly disappointed, I say welcome them back in the fall without all the griping. Yes, they're making the season harder for their scheduled opponents, but there ARE solutions available for them (except maybe for those they were scheduled to play this weekend). We COULD record these as forfeit wins for those they were scheduled to play, though I'm not sure if that helps for playoff selection and seeding.

Quit this liberal name-calling. There's a HUGE difference between light-hearted teasing (like "Suck State") and this vindictiveness. It's unbecoming....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:35 pm I'm not sure I like the description of these decisions as the teams "folding." If that were the case, these schools would become I-AAA schools. While these decisions are disappointing, it sounds like they plan on fully competing in the 2021 fall season. I understand the angst, as they COULD have done what Vanderbilt did in the fall, only on a larger scale. Playing both ways would also have been an option, as it was back in the day. As a coach, I would have pushed BOTH of those options before throwing in the towel. But labeling someone a "quitter" and a program as "folding" when they clearly plan on playing in the fall is counterproductive, IMO.
They ARE QUITTING on the season that they committed to play because of "injuries", not the virus. A lame excuse, because EVERY team gets injuries every season. If they weren't committed to playing the whole season, they should have sat out. They're like the sore loser kid who takes his ball and goes home. If JMU was 1-3 and just quit on their last 2-3 games, not because of the virus, but because a "too many injuries", I'd be done with them..I hope other schools use it against the quitters in recruiting..
Only losers and quitters throw in the towel. Screw the student athletes. Their health and safety is irrelevant. I'm a fan and I want to watch football and cheer for my team. I want, I want, I want!

Last edited by UNI88 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 pm
Only losers and quitters throw in the towel. Screw the student athletes. Their health and safety is irrelevant. I'm a fan and I want to watch football and cheer for my team. I want, I want, I want!
:clap:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am Looks like the CAA is cancelling all games for the rest of the season, including Delaware and JMU football games.

CAA Football News Link
Gil...you dirty rotten son of a bitch!!!!!!!!

:lol:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:58 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am Looks like the CAA is cancelling all games for the rest of the season, including Delaware and JMU football games.

CAA Football News Link
Gil...you dirty rotten son of a bitch!!!!!!!!

:lol:
Gil isn't the only one pulling AFD jokes. Tom Brady is getting panned for his.
Bill Russell (basketball type) is getting rave reviews for his.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:10 pm BDK: College sports aren't like the NFL. Short of the Vanderbilt option (which would be VERY difficult at best in the numbers which would be required; even Vanderbilt only did it for the kicker position), you can't just sign a bunch of free agents. There's very little wiggle room to schedule replacement games. As disappointing as it is, these schools likely evaluated the one-platoon scenario and possibly even the Vanderbilt option, and concluded that such things wouldn't work in their case. For me, while I'm highly disappointed, I say welcome them back in the fall without all the griping. Yes, they're making the season harder for their scheduled opponents, but there ARE solutions available for them (except maybe for those they were scheduled to play this weekend). We COULD record these as forfeit wins for those they were scheduled to play, though I'm not sure if that helps for playoff selection and seeding.

Quit this liberal name-calling. There's a HUGE difference between light-hearted teasing (like "Suck State") and this vindictiveness. It's unbecoming....
Its no different than a team with a losing record in late Oct/early Nov quitting the season, canceling their last several games because of a "too many injuries" excuse..
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

What's wrong with just saying someone's action is wrong without resorting to the vindictive name-calling?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:03 pm Its no different than a team with a losing record in late Oct/early Nov quitting the season, canceling their last several games because of a "too many injuries" excuse..
SuperHornet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:09 pm What's wrong with just saying someone's action is wrong without resorting to the vindictive name-calling?
Where is the vindictive name calling in the post you just responded to? :suspicious:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Other teams of note on BDkkk's list of quitters:
  • Evansville basketball, 1977-1978
  • Marshall football, 1970
  • Cal Poly football, 1960
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm