Big Sky Pre-Season Poll

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Big Sky Pre-Season Poll

Post by SuperHornet »

I don't agree with this for a minute....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Big Sky Pre-Season Poll

Post by dbackjon »

Agreed - no way NAU and UC-D should be behind Sac State!
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:47 pm Agreed - no way NAU and UC-D should be behind Sac State!
NAU: “Stuck in the middle with you”
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:47 pm Agreed - no way NAU and UC-D should be behind Sac State!
You and AZ ...
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 am Sac goes 4-7 and won’t have to worry about who they’re playing in the playoffs.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Looks about right. The trick is predicting which bottom 6 team will surprise and finish in the top 3? NAU? PSU? ISU looked solid after the blow out loss to Weber at the start of the season.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 am Looks about right. The trick is predicting which bottom 6 team will surprise and finish in the top 3? NAU? PSU? ISU looked solid after the blow out loss to Weber at the start of the season.
I'll take PSU over NAU any day of the week, though I don't think they'll be Top 3. NAU is notorious for their mid-season swoons....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:37 am
NAU: “Stuck in the middle with you”
NAU: 6-5/5-6 is our motto
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Turns out that the top half of the coaches poll looked like this:

1. Weber State (7)
2. Montana (2)
3. Eastern Washington (2)
4. Montana State (1)
5. Sacramento State (1)

The top half of the media poll:

1. Weber State (14)
2. Montana (4)
3. Eastern Washington (3)
4. Montana State (3)
5. Sacramento State

Stupid media types....

https://bigskyconf.com/news/2021/7/26/f ... -j_aDJ8fYE

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Unusual amount of consensus there…
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Preseason Predictions

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

• 1. Eastern Washington____8-0____11-0_____ They get Weber & the Montanas at home as well as a crappy FBS opponent—what's not to like?
    2. Weber State____________7-1_____9-2_____ Weber's games are always ugly, but they almost always win them
    3. Montana _______________7-1_____9-2_____ The Griz are solid all around, but they seem to lack enough star power to compete for a national title
    4. Sacramento State ______6-2_____8-3_____ Sac doesn't have a 46-year old QB anymore, but they do have a favorable schedule
    5. UC Davis ______________5-3_____7-4_____ Can Hunter Rodrigues help the Aggies rebound from a disappointing 2019?
    6. Montana State__________5-3_____7-4_____ Hiring the OC from a team that routinely ranks at-or-near the bottom of the MWC in offense is… :?
    7. Northern Arizona ______4-4_____4-7_____ NAU's defense has to massively improve for Chris Ball to even reach a quarter of Jerome Souers's tenure
    8. Idaho State ____________3-5_____4-7_____ ISU gave Rob Phenicie a contract extension in January :?
    9. Idaho___________________3-5_____4-7_____ Just 2 more years until Paul Petrino is free…
    10.Southern Utah _________2-6_____3-8_____ The odd-numbered-year magic for the T-Birds appears to be long gone
    11.Portland State__________1-7_____2-9_____ Bruce Barnum is 12-34 since his surprising first season
    12.Cal Poly _______________1-7_____1-10____ Transitioning a team away from the triple option is a grueling process, I imagine
    13.Northern Colorado_____0-8_____1-10____ McCaffrey hasn't even coached a game yet, and there already seems to be a lot of disarray behind the scenes
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Venus: Ouch!

While I still stand by my undefeated prediction for Sac, this seems like a much better deal than the other polls I've seen so far. I don't expect the Manure Pile to be that high, though, and I expect PSU to be a bit higher (higher than NAU, Idalol and the Bungles, at any rate). But other than that, Venus makes more sense than those other polls. Regardless of who's right, though, I think that a lot will hinge on what affect the spring season will have on BSC schools: injuries/COVID vs. the extra practice and real-game situations vs. rest and focus on "normal" spring ball installations. Sac stands to look like geniuses if the latter happens; some of the others like BBQ went the other way. The Griz tried to split the difference, and it'll be intriguing to see if PSU and a "play-down scrimmage" or two will benefit them....

JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: Preseason Predictions

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:27 am 11.Portland State__________1-7_____2-9_____ Bruce Barnum is 12-34 since his surprising first season
And one of those wins was in Missoula. :lol:

I'm going to continue hanging my hat on that until something else comes along. :mrgreen: :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:17 am
You and AZ ...
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 am Sac goes 4-7 and won’t have to worry about who they’re playing in the playoffs.
Don't worry, I'm keeping tabs. :coffee:

Yes BSC, please underestimate us...again... :twisted:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:27 am
  • 1. Eastern Washington____8-0____11-0_____ They get Weber & the Montanas at home as well as a crappy FBS opponent—what's not to like?
    2. Weber State____________7-1_____9-2_____ Weber's games are always ugly, but they almost always win them
    3. Montana _______________7-1_____9-2_____ The Griz are solid all around, but they seem to lack enough star power to compete for a national title
    4. Sacramento State ______6-2_____8-3_____ Sac doesn't have a 46-year old QB anymore, but they do have a favorable schedule
    5. UC Davis ______________5-3_____7-4_____ Can Hunter Rodrigues help the Aggies rebound from a disappointing 2019?
    6. Montana State__________5-3_____7-4_____ Hiring the OC from a team that routinely ranks at-or-near the bottom of the MWC in offense is… :?
    7. Northern Arizona ______4-4_____4-7_____ NAU's defense has to massively improve for Chris Ball to even reach a quarter of Jerome Souers's tenure
    8. Idaho State ____________3-5_____4-7_____ ISU gave Rob Phenicie a contract extension in January :?
    9. Idaho___________________3-5_____4-7_____ Just 2 more years until Paul Petrino is free…
    10.Southern Utah _________2-6_____3-8_____ The odd-numbered-year magic for the T-Birds appears to be long gone
    11.Portland State__________1-7_____2-9_____ Bruce Barnum is 12-34 since his surprising first season
    12.Cal Poly _______________1-7_____1-10____ Transitioning a team away from the triple option is a grueling process, I imagine
    13.Northern Colorado_____0-8_____1-10____ McCaffrey hasn't even coached a game yet, and there already seems to be a lot of disarray behind the scenes
Curious, who do you have as our BSC losses? I assume montucky is one of them.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 pmCurious, who do you have as our BSC losses? I assume montucky is one of them.
That is one of them. The other two are Cal & Davis.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 pmCurious, who do you have as our BSC losses? I assume montucky is one of them.
We'll win the Causeway. Agree about Cal and griz. All our games on the schedule are winnable.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:27 am
So you have Weber beating JMU OOC (unless you have them beating Utah)…

Possible, as I have JMU at 10-1 (no I-A game). Most likely loss, either @ Weber or @ UD (on a 2nd straight road game)..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:10 pmSo you have Weber beating JMU OOC (unless you have them beating Utah)…

Possible, as I have JMU at 10-1 (no I-A game). Most likely loss, either @ Weber or @ UD (on a 2nd straight road game)..
Yeah. Long road-trip game between top-10 teams, so I went with home field.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 pm

We'll win the Causeway. Agree about Cal and griz. All our games on the schedule are winnable.
Did we ever finalize our bet? I’ll go 6-5 if you want the over.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:50 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Already back pedaling on your 4-7 prediction I see. Typical AZ. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:08 pm

No shit... :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

no, not backpedaling. Just that you were soooo confident...I was trying to give your Suck State guys a little more credit. Won't happen again.

You didn't answer my question: did we ever finalize our bet?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 am
no, not backpedaling. Just that you were soooo confident...I was trying to give your Suck State guys a little more credit. Won't happen again.

SD, take the over on AZ's 4-7 prediction.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:53 am

I thought I already did? :?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:36 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 am
I thought I already did? :?
AZ, the bet is finalized. SD has the over on Sac finishing better than 4-7. You've bet your yacht and SD has bet a case of Modelo. :D