Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Barnum buying the beer at Portland State game

Post by JALMOND »

Portland State coach Bruce Barnum will buy the beer for everyone 21 and older at the Portland State/Western Oregon game on Saturday.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/338 ... -this-week

If you are in the area come on out. You can wear your school colors but you have to cheer for the Viks. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Barnum buying the beer at Portland State game

Post by SDHornet »

Good move...a desperate move...but a good move.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I'd like to see a FCS school institute Prohibition....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 pm Good move...a desperate move...but a good move.
Desperate? How?

PSU is the one famous for Pokey Allen, who once rode a donkey down Broadway Ave in Portland, and who would let the fans decide on whether a play would be a pass or a run. Allen would do anything to get people to come see PSU football.

His first season as head coach at PSU, Barnum would buy two beers for the fans whenever PSU would win.

Whenever you play in the shadow of two successful Pac-12 schools, you will do what you need to do to get butts in the seats. This weekend, the Ducks and Beavers are playing home games at the same time as the Viks. Needed to think of something to get people there.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

The only good thing to come out of PSU was Don Read.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

What a circus…
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 am The only good thing to come out of PSU was Don Read.
Read actually came out of Sacramento State, having played there in the 1950's. Pokey Allen actually was a Montana guy, graduating from Hellgate High School (I believe). Left Missoula and went to Portland. Smart guy.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 am The only good thing to come out of PSU was Don Read.
Read actually came out of Sacramento State, having played there in the 1950's. Pokey Allen actually was a Montana guy, graduating from Hellgate High School (I believe). Left Missoula and went to Portland. Smart guy.
Yes, but he came directly FROM PSU to Montana in ‘85.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 am
JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 am

And then promptly lost to PSU and Pokey Allen in '87. Former Missoulian beat Read the Traitor in Missoula. :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 am

And then promptly lost to PSU and Pokey Allen in '87. Former Missoulian beat Read the Traitor in Missoula. :thumb:
1995 national champion.

Scoreboard. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 am
JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 am

1995 national champion.

Read: 2 Conference titles in 11 years at Montana. Allen: 5 Conference titles in 7 years at PSU.

Read: 19 wins in 5 years at PSU (his second term). Nigel Burton: 21 wins in 5 years at PSU.

Take away Read's outlier in 1983 when he went 8-3 that year at PSU, he won 11 games in 4 years. Compared to Jerry Glanville's 9 wins in 4 years.

Need I go on? :|
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:06 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 am

1995 national champion.

Read: 2 Conference titles in 11 years at Montana. Allen: 5 Conference titles in 7 years at PSU.

Read: 19 wins in 5 years at PSU (his second term). Nigel Burton: 21 wins in 5 years at PSU.

Take away Read's outlier in 1983 when he went 8-3 that year at PSU, he won 11 games in 4 years. Compared to Jerry Glanville's 9 wins in 4 years.

That’s cute you have to resort to “conference” titles. We strive a little higher here at UM. :coffee: :coffee:

It always astounded me how he even got hired at Montana given his coaching record at PSU. Seriously. he wouldn’t get a SNIFF today with that historical performance….just tells you how badly Larry Donovan’s teams performed that Read’s record/performance was considered an upgrade. :lol:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Are you kidding me? Have you forgotten about Mouse Davis? How about Neil Lomax and Julius Thomas?

:ohno:
Last edited by SuperHornet on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 am
Are you kidding me? Have you forgotten about Mouse Davis?

Mouse Davis never coached at Montana. Mouse Davis never brought Montana a national title.

Who gives a FVF about Mouse Davis? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:26 am

That’s cute you have to resort to “conference” titles. We strive a little higher here at UM. :coffee: :coffee:

It always astounded me how he even got hired at Montana given his coaching record at PSU. Seriously. he wouldn’t get a SNIFF today with that historical performance….just tells you how badly Larry Donovan’s teams performed that Read’s record/performance was considered an upgrade. :lol:
UM football certainly didn't care about "striving a little higher" when Read got there, nor for the first eight years that he was there. Read took the reins from Davis and PSU football fell flat. Allen came in when Read left and took the program higher. The coaching efforts of both Davis and Allen got PSU to the big time. Nothing that Read did at PSU got us close to that level. And yes, one could argue that if it wasn't for the mess that Donovan left, Read would not have lasted as long as he did at UM.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

That’s cute you have to resort to “conference” titles. We used to strive a little higher here at UM. :coffee: :coffee:

FYP ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:32 am
SuperHornet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:30 am

Are you kidding me? Have you forgotten about Mouse Davis?

Mouse Davis never coached at Montana. Mouse Davis never brought Montana a national title.

That's not what you said. You made the bald statement that "nothing good ever came out of PSU," without any reference to leaving PSU to coach at Montana. Hence the citation of Mouse Davis, Neil Lomax, and Julius Thomas ARE, indeed relevant (though I HIGHLY dislike Thomas because he went to the wrong high school)....

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am

That’s cute you have to resort to “conference” titles. We used to strive a little higher here at UM. :coffee: :coffee:

FYP ;)
Remind me again how many UNI has? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:48 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:32 am

That's not what you said. You made the bald statement that "nothing good ever came out of PSU," without any reference to leaving PSU to coach at Montana. Hence the citation of Mouse Davis, Neil Lomax, and Julius Thomas ARE, indeed relevant (though I HIGHLY dislike Thomas because he went to the wrong high school)....
Doesn’t matter what I said. It’s what I meant. :tothehand: :tothehand:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am

UM football certainly didn't care about "striving a little higher" when Read got there, nor for the first eight years that he was there. Read took the reins from Davis and PSU football fell flat. Allen came in when Read left and took the program higher. The coaching efforts of both Davis and Allen got PSU to the big time. Nothing that Read did at PSU got us close to that level. And yes, one could argue that if it wasn't for the mess that Donovan left, Read would not have lasted as long as he did at UM.
I don’t disagree. There’s no WAY he’d get the kind of rope now that he did in ‘85-‘94 before finally winning it all.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:01 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am
FYP ;)
Remind me again how many UNI has? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Z E R O but I still have to take my shots when I see them ... :poke:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Neil Lomax?

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm
JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am

I don’t disagree. There’s no WAY he’d get the kind of rope now that he did in ‘85-‘94 before finally winning it all.
Hard to say. The Griz were 57-87-2 over the previous 14 years, so winning 6-7 games most every season from 1986-92 seemed pretty damn good at the time (and they did go to the Semis in '89).
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:12 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:01 pm

Z E R O but I still have to take my shots when I see them ... :poke:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:48 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 pm Good move...a desperate move...but a good move.
Desperate? How?

PSU is the one famous for Pokey Allen, who once rode a donkey down Broadway Ave in Portland, and who would let the fans decide on whether a play would be a pass or a run. Allen would do anything to get people to come see PSU football.

His first season as head coach at PSU, Barnum would buy two beers for the fans whenever PSU would win.

Whenever you play in the shadow of two successful Pac-12 schools, you will do what you need to do to get butts in the seats. This weekend, the Ducks and Beavers are playing home games at the same time as the Viks. Needed to think of something to get people there.
Hence the desperation. And for clarity, I'm not knocking this move to get people to tune in.