Playoff Prognostication

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Playoff Prognostication

Post by SuperHornet »

We're probably at about that point in the season where we can at least TENTATIVELY look at the playoffs (including non-participating teams who WOULD be discussed if they DID participate. Naturally, many of these will be discarded later, but I think that we can have a bit of fun with this now. (For sake of discussion, I'll technically separate the WAC from the A-Sun, but we'll see what happens....)

Atlantic Sun

E. Kentucky (5-2, 1-0)
Jacksonville State (3-3, 0-0)
C. Arkansas (2-4, 0-1)

E. KY looks to be the real deal. Jax State made some noise early, but are slowing down. UCA has lost something since the spring season. Of these three, EKU looks to be the only one to get in. As noted below with the WAC, SHSU will claim the AQ7 auto-bid, while EKU gets an at-large.

Big Sky

E. Washington (7-0, 4-0)
Montana State (6-1, 4-0)
Sacramento State (4-2, 3-0)
UC Davis (6-1, 3-1)
N. Arizona (3-3, 2-1)
Portland State (3-4, 2-2)
Montana (4-2, 1-2)

This is about as far as I'm willing to consider for the Sky. EWU, MSU, and UCD appear to be locks. If Montana gets themselves straightened out, it'll be between them and Sac for the 4th spot. If we get five (which I doubt), those are the five. NAU and PSU won't get in. EWU will be the lone seed out of the bunch, however many get in.

Big South

Monmouth (4-3, 3-0)
Kennesaw State (5-1, 2-0)

All others are kaput, IMO. The Big South will be a one-bid conference this year, and the auto-bid goes to Kennesaw.

CAA

Villanova (5-1, 3-0)
James Madison (5-1, 3-1)
Rhode Island (5-1, 3-1)
William & Mary (4-2, 2-1)
Elon (3-3, 2-1)
Towson State (3-3, 2-1)
New Hampshire (3-3, 2-1)
Delaware (3-3, 2-2)

All others are out. I think the CAA will get at least three bids, to wit Villanova, JMU, and Rhode Island. If either UNH or Delaware get their act together, they MIGHT have a shot, particularly if CAA gets more than three bids. JMU will have a seed. I think B&M, Elon, and Towson State are likely staying home.

Ivy League

Princeton (5-0, 2-0)
Harvard (5-0, 2-0)
Dartmouth (5-0, 2-0)
Columbia (4-1, 1-1)

Obviously not participating, but this seems to be a rather competitive year for the Ivies. Were they to play ball with the rest of us, I think it would be a crap shoot between Princeton and Harvard for one bid.

MEAC

SC State (2-4, 1-0)
Howard (2-4, 1-0)
Norfolk State (4-2, 0-0)

A downer year for the MEAC. As of last report, they're holding out for the Celebration Bowl, but if they were to play ball, the only team with a real shot would be Norfolk State with the auto-bid. As it is, I fully expect Norfolk State to get blown out in the Celebration Bowl....

MVFC

S. Illinois (6-1, 4-0)
North Dakota State (6-0, 3-0)
South Dakota (5-2, 3-1)
SW Missouri State (4-2, 3-1)
South Dakota State (5-1, 2-1)

This is about as far as it goes for the MVFC, but I think ALL of these get in. NDSU probably gets a seed.

NEC

Duquesne (4-1, 2-0)
Bryant (4-3, 2-1)
Sacred Heart (4-3, 2-1)
Saint Francis (PA) (3-4, 2-1)

This will be a one-bid conference, as per usual. Duquesne gets the nod.

OVC

TN-Martin (5-1, 2-0)
SE Missouri State (2-5, 2-1)
TN State (3-3, 1-1)
E. Illinois (1-6, 1-1)
TN Tech (2-5, 1-2)
Murray State (3-3, 0-1)

I only took this likely one-bid league out this far to account for the SLIGHT possibility that Murray State MIGHT get it together in time to claim the auto-bid. I don't think that will happen, however. This league goes to Pat Summitt's alma mater.

Patriot

Fordham (4-3, 2-0)
Colgate (2-5, 2-0)
Holy Cross (4-2, 1-0)

This perennial one-bid conference will go to Holy Cross.

Pioneer

Morehead State (4-2, 3-0)
Davidson (4-1, 3-0)
Marist (3-2, 3-0)
St. Thomas (MN) (4-2, 3-1)

I'm still not sure if St. Thomas is eligible, but for a former D-III school, they're certainly making a lot of noise in their first year. Even if they ARE eligible, it probably won't be enough to take the auto-bid, which is what it will take for a Pioneer team to get in this year. I'm seeing Morehead State.

SoCon

E. TN State (6-1, 3-1)
VMI (5-2, 3-1)
Mercer (4-2, 3-1)
Furman (4-2, 2-1)

I see the SoCon as a two-bid conference at best this year, and those will likely be ETSU and either VMI or Mercer. I'm banking on Mercer.

Southland

SE Louisiana (5-1, 3-0)
Incarnate Word (5-1, 3-0)

The Southland COULD be a two-bid league this year, and if so, it's these two. All others will stay home.

SWAC

Prairie View A&M (5-1, 4-0)
Jackson State (5-1, 3-0)
Alcorn State (4-2, 3-0)
Florida A&M (4-2, 2-1)
Southern (3-3, 2-1)
Grambling State (3-4, 2-2)
AL State (3-3, 2-2)

Prairie View and Jackson State would probably be looking at bids if the SWAC were to participate (IF Prairie View were to take the auto-bid), but they're aiming for the Celebration Bowl instead. I think Jackson State will go and destroy Norfolk State.

WAC

Sam Houston State (5-0, 2-0)
Abilene Christian (4-3, 1-0)
Stephen F. Austin (3-3, 1-1)
Tarleton State (3-3, 1-1)

Again, I'm not sure if Tarleton is eligible yet, but it's probably a moot point. They're not getting in. SFA MIGHT, if they fix whatever problems they have. I think Abilene will fall short. For AQ7 purposes, SHSU gets the auto-bid (and a seed), and EKU gets an at-large.

Seeds

1. Eastern Washington
2. Sam Houston State
3. North Dakota State
4. James Madison

Auto-Bids

AQ7: SHSU (Seed)
Southland: SELA
SoCon: ETSU
Pioneer: Morehead State
Patriot: Holy Cross
OVC: TN-Martin
NEC: Duquesne
MVFC: North Dakota State (Seed)
CAA: James Madison (Seed)
Big South: Kennesaw State
Big Sky: Eastern Washington (Seed)

At-Large Bids:

AQ7: E. Kentucky
Big Sky: Montana State, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Montana
Big South: N/A
CAA: Villanova, Rhode Island, Delaware
MVFC: SIU, South Dakota, South Dakota State, SW Missouri State
NEC: N/A
OVC: N/A
Patriot: N/A
Pioneer: N/A
SoCon: Mercer
Southland: Incarnate Word

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Playoff Prognostication

Post by andy7171 »

I'm bored. What about Delaware's 3-3 record is more impressive than Towson's?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

andy7171 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:30 pm I'm bored. What about Delaware's 3-3 record is more impressive than Towson's?
History. I trust Delaware more. But it would be nice to be wrong so we can get some variety....

;)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am SoCon: Mercer
Guessing they will end at 6-4. That's not a bid IMO.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Southern Illinois has a chance to run the table, and go undefeated in FCS. Only loss was a close game to Kansas State. They have UNI, Missouri St, Youngstown and Indiana St left. But anything can happen.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:25 pm Southern Illinois has a chance to run the table, and go undefeated in FCS. Only loss was a close game to Kansas State. They have UNI, Missouri St, Youngstown and Indiana St left. But anything can happen.
USD, SIU, and Missouri State all could play a huge roll. A two loss Valley Chamlnus not out of the question. And yes…SIU is in a good spot.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm
andy7171 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:30 pm I'm bored. What about Delaware's 3-3 record is more impressive than Towson's?
History. I trust Delaware more. But it would be nice to be wrong so we can get some variety....

;)
Got it. Name recognition. Thanks for being honest at least.

...because Towson beat the very same teams that Delaware lost to. I guess the Tigers should go back to playing StFU instead of the NDSU's as OOC schools.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 am I guess the Tigers should go back to playing StFU instead of the NDSU's as OOC schools.
If they were smart. Because we have playoffs (with an overly large field), there's really no incentive for a top tier conference team to play anyone tough OOC. Take your one I-A payday, play two patsies, go 8-3 or 7-4 and make the playoffs. Really not a hidden recipe.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 am
andy7171 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 am I guess the Tigers should go back to playing StFU instead of the NDSU's as OOC schools.
If they were smart. Because we have playoffs (with an overly large field), there's really no incentive for a top tier conference team to play anyone tough OOC. Take your one I-A payday, play two patsies, go 8-3 or 7-4 and make the playoffs. Really not a hidden recipe.
Get higher seeds by virtue of SoS. Play home games in December.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:12 am

Not really. Going 10-1 from the Big Sky, MVFC, CAA... you're a lock.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm

;)

...because Towson beat the very same teams that Delaware lost to. I guess the Tigers should go back to playing StFU instead of the NDSU's as OOC schools.
I din’t think pkaying NDSU hurt TU that much. A 7-4/6-2 TU would a lock for the playoffs. 7-4/5-3 out of the CAA this year might be 50/50 if that. A 7-4/6-2 TU would be ahead of a 7-4/5-3 UD since they don’t play head to head.

Its possible for TU. I imagine favored in 3 of their next 5. @ JMU to end the season. The big ?? is @ UR. Manusco supposedly will be back this upcoming weekend or next, definitey before TU @ UR on 11/6. Without Manusco UR has no offense, a really good front 7, and a suspect secondary, and I’d put my $ on TU. With Manusco I’d put my $$ on UR winning that one. We’ll see.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:14 am

Not necessarily for a 1 or 2 seed. And 1 and 2’s tend to be the locks for the chipper.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

It's difficult to go 10-1 in the Big Sky or MVFC. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 am

Which is why if you do it, you're a lock for a seed. ;)

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:38 am
andy7171 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 am

I din’t think pkaying NDSU hurt TU that much. A 7-4/6-2 TU would a lock for the playoffs. 7-4/5-3 out of the CAA this year might be 50/50 if that. A 7-4/6-2 TU would be ahead of a 7-4/5-3 UD since they don’t play head to head.

Its possible for TU. I imagine favored in 3 of their next 5. @ JMU to end the season. The big ?? is @ UR. Manusco supposedly will be back this upcoming weekend or next, definitey before TU @ UR on 11/6. Without Manusco UR has no offense, a really good front 7, and a suspect secondary, and I’d put my $ on TU. With Manusco I’d put my $$ on UR winning that one. We’ll see.
You would think so. But I remember a 7-4 Towson team that had just shelled UNH 64-30(something) and got whored by the playoff committee no less than 12 hours later on national tv.

If Towson and Delaware both finish 7-4, with Towson beating SB and URI, and UDee gets the bid I'll prolly just go postal and get it over with.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Delaware (3-3, 2-2 CAA): @ #6 JMU (5-1, 3-1 CAA), Dixie State (0-6, 0-1 WAC), William & Mary (4-2, 2-1 CAA), Richmond (2-4, 0-3 CAA), #5 Villanova (5-1, 3-0 CAA)

Towson State (3-3, 2-1 CAA): @ William & Mary (4-2, 2-1 CAA), Albany (0-6, 0-4 CAA), @ Richmond (2-4, 0-3 CAA), Elon (3-3, 2-1 CAA), @ #6 JMU (5-1, 3-1 CAA)

Remaining schedule is mostly a push for me, but Delaware has TWO in-conference toughies coming up, while Towson State only has one. While name recognition MAY get Delaware through, Towson State may well have the better record between the two. On the other hand, one could argue that Towson State performed better with higher SOS in prior games. Delaware's loss to Stony Brook may prove to be a bit of a problem, as the Tigers won their tilt with Stony Brook. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 am

It should be. But NDSU went 43-2 in from 2016-19. Guess it can't be that hard.

Heck, in 2018 TWO teams in the Big Sky went 8-0 in conference.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:04 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:38 am

You would think so. But I remember a 7-4 Towson team that had just shelled UNH 64-30(something) and got whored by the playoff committee no less than 12 hours later on national tv.

If Towson and Delaware both finish 7-4, with Towson beating SB and URI, and UDee gets the bid I'll prolly just go postal and get it over with.
Don’t do it Andy! You have so much to live for!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

This is the scheduling recipe if you want to make the playoffs.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am We're probably at about that point in the season where we can at least TENTATIVELY look at the playoffs (including non-participating teams who WOULD be discussed if they DID participate. Naturally, many of these will be discarded later, but I think that we can have a bit of fun with this now. (For sake of discussion, I'll technically separate the WAC from the A-Sun, but we'll see what happens....)

Atlantic Sun

E. Kentucky (5-2, 1-0)
Jacksonville State (3-3, 0-0)
C. Arkansas (2-4, 0-1)

E. KY looks to be the real deal. Jax State made some noise early, but are slowing down. UCA has lost something since the spring season. Of these three, EKU looks to be the only one to get in. As noted below with the WAC, SHSU will claim the AQ7 auto-bid, while EKU gets an at-large.

Big Sky

E. Washington (7-0, 4-0)
Montana State (6-1, 4-0)
Sacramento State (4-2, 3-0)
UC Davis (6-1, 3-1)
N. Arizona (3-3, 2-1)
Portland State (3-4, 2-2)
Montana (4-2, 1-2)

This is about as far as I'm willing to consider for the Sky. EWU, MSU, and UCD appear to be locks. If Montana gets themselves straightened out, it'll be between them and Sac for the 4th spot. If we get five (which I doubt), those are the five. NAU and PSU won't get in. EWU will be the lone seed out of the bunch, however many get in.

Big South

Monmouth (4-3, 3-0)
Kennesaw State (5-1, 2-0)

All others are kaput, IMO. The Big South will be a one-bid conference this year, and the auto-bid goes to Kennesaw.

CAA

Villanova (5-1, 3-0)
James Madison (5-1, 3-1)
Rhode Island (5-1, 3-1)
William & Mary (4-2, 2-1)
Elon (3-3, 2-1)
Towson State (3-3, 2-1)
New Hampshire (3-3, 2-1)
Delaware (3-3, 2-2)

All others are out. I think the CAA will get at least three bids, to wit Villanova, JMU, and Rhode Island. If either UNH or Delaware get their act together, they MIGHT have a shot, particularly if CAA gets more than three bids. JMU will have a seed. I think B&M, Elon, and Towson State are likely staying home.

Ivy League

Princeton (5-0, 2-0)
Harvard (5-0, 2-0)
Dartmouth (5-0, 2-0)
Columbia (4-1, 1-1)

Obviously not participating, but this seems to be a rather competitive year for the Ivies. Were they to play ball with the rest of us, I think it would be a crap shoot between Princeton and Harvard for one bid.

MEAC

SC State (2-4, 1-0)
Howard (2-4, 1-0)
Norfolk State (4-2, 0-0)

A downer year for the MEAC. As of last report, they're holding out for the Celebration Bowl, but if they were to play ball, the only team with a real shot would be Norfolk State with the auto-bid. As it is, I fully expect Norfolk State to get blown out in the Celebration Bowl....

MVFC

S. Illinois (6-1, 4-0)
North Dakota State (6-0, 3-0)
South Dakota (5-2, 3-1)
SW Missouri State (4-2, 3-1)
South Dakota State (5-1, 2-1)

This is about as far as it goes for the MVFC, but I think ALL of these get in. NDSU probably gets a seed.

NEC

Duquesne (4-1, 2-0)
Bryant (4-3, 2-1)
Sacred Heart (4-3, 2-1)
Saint Francis (PA) (3-4, 2-1)

This will be a one-bid conference, as per usual. Duquesne gets the nod.

OVC

TN-Martin (5-1, 2-0)
SE Missouri State (2-5, 2-1)
TN State (3-3, 1-1)
E. Illinois (1-6, 1-1)
TN Tech (2-5, 1-2)
Murray State (3-3, 0-1)

I only took this likely one-bid league out this far to account for the SLIGHT possibility that Murray State MIGHT get it together in time to claim the auto-bid. I don't think that will happen, however. This league goes to Pat Summitt's alma mater.

Patriot

Fordham (4-3, 2-0)
Colgate (2-5, 2-0)
Holy Cross (4-2, 1-0)

This perennial one-bid conference will go to Holy Cross.

Pioneer

Morehead State (4-2, 3-0)
Davidson (4-1, 3-0)
Marist (3-2, 3-0)
St. Thomas (MN) (4-2, 3-1)

I'm still not sure if St. Thomas is eligible, but for a former D-III school, they're certainly making a lot of noise in their first year. Even if they ARE eligible, it probably won't be enough to take the auto-bid, which is what it will take for a Pioneer team to get in this year. I'm seeing Morehead State.

SoCon

E. TN State (6-1, 3-1)
VMI (5-2, 3-1)
Mercer (4-2, 3-1)
Furman (4-2, 2-1)

I see the SoCon as a two-bid conference at best this year, and those will likely be ETSU and either VMI or Mercer. I'm banking on Mercer.

Southland

SE Louisiana (5-1, 3-0)
Incarnate Word (5-1, 3-0)

The Southland COULD be a two-bid league this year, and if so, it's these two. All others will stay home.

SWAC

Prairie View A&M (5-1, 4-0)
Jackson State (5-1, 3-0)
Alcorn State (4-2, 3-0)
Florida A&M (4-2, 2-1)
Southern (3-3, 2-1)
Grambling State (3-4, 2-2)
AL State (3-3, 2-2)

Prairie View and Jackson State would probably be looking at bids if the SWAC were to participate (IF Prairie View were to take the auto-bid), but they're aiming for the Celebration Bowl instead. I think Jackson State will go and destroy Norfolk State.

WAC

Sam Houston State (5-0, 2-0)
Abilene Christian (4-3, 1-0)
Stephen F. Austin (3-3, 1-1)
Tarleton State (3-3, 1-1)

Again, I'm not sure if Tarleton is eligible yet, but it's probably a moot point. They're not getting in. SFA MIGHT, if they fix whatever problems they have. I think Abilene will fall short. For AQ7 purposes, SHSU gets the auto-bid (and a seed), and EKU gets an at-large.

Seeds

1. Eastern Washington
2. Sam Houston State
3. North Dakota State
4. James Madison

Auto-Bids

AQ7: SHSU (Seed)
Southland: SELA
SoCon: ETSU
Pioneer: Morehead State
Patriot: Holy Cross
OVC: TN-Martin
NEC: Duquesne
MVFC: North Dakota State (Seed)
CAA: James Madison (Seed)
Big South: Kennesaw State
Big Sky: Eastern Washington (Seed)

At-Large Bids:

AQ7: E. Kentucky
Big Sky: Montana State, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Montana
Big South: N/A
CAA: Villanova, Rhode Island, Delaware
MVFC: SIU, South Dakota, South Dakota State, SW Missouri State
NEC: N/A
OVC: N/A
Patriot: N/A
Pioneer: N/A
SoCon: Mercer
Southland: Incarnate Word
This is why I wished that the SWAC had not relinquished its AQ status yrs ago this is the perfect time for the SWAC to put itself on the map for FCS FOOTBALL.I wanted to see what Deion and his staff would do in the playoffs nothing against the Celebration Bowl but I want too see the SWAC play against the cream of the crop at the FCS level in the postseason.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dal4018 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:02 am This is why I wished that the SWAC had not relinquished its AQ status yrs ago this is the perfect time for the SWAC to put itself on the map for FCS FOOTBALL.I wanted to see what Deion and his staff would do in the playoffs nothing against the Celebration Bowl but I want too see the SWAC play against the cream of the crop at the FCS level in the postseason.
0-18
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am
dal4018 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:02 am This is why I wished that the SWAC had not relinquished its AQ status yrs ago this is the perfect time for the SWAC to put itself on the map for FCS FOOTBALL.I wanted to see what Deion and his staff would do in the playoffs nothing against the Celebration Bowl but I want too see the SWAC play against the cream of the crop at the FCS level in the postseason.
0-18
Is that an all time record or just their last 18?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am

0-18
SWAC all-time playoff record.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 am
kalm wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 am

Perhaps for the SWAC as a conference. That's certainly NOT true of every current SWAC team. FAMU, a D-II SIAC school at the time but now in the SWAC, won the first I-AA National Championship in 1978. As the only at-large that year, they beat South champ Jackson State (not sure why Jackson was chosen over SWAC Champ Grambling) in the first round, while East/Yankee Conference champ UMASS blew out West Champ Nevada (independent). FAMU beat UMASS 35-28 for the title. Interestingly enough, the SWAC had TWO bids in 1985, but they didn't fare all that well: Georgia Southern beat Jackson State 27-0, while AR State beat Grambling 10-7. It hasn't always blowouts, though. In 1989, SFA beat Grambling by only a FG in a shootout.

That said, the MEAC has had some success in the playoffs. For example, SC State beat TN State in the first round in 1981, before getting trashed by ID State. They followed that up with a first-round shutout of Furman in 1982. Even as recently as 1998, FAMU beat Troy State in the first round, and made the semis in 1999. It seems that FAMU has had the most playoff success of all of the HBCUs. Dal might be able to correct me on that, as he seems to be the most up on HBCUs....

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 am
Perhaps for the SWAC as a conference. That's certainly NOT true of every current SWAC team. FAMU, a D-II SIAC school at the time but now in the SWAC, won the first I-AA National Championship in 1978. As the only at-large that year, they beat South champ Jackson State (not sure why Jackson was chosen over SWAC Champ Grambling) in the first round, while East/Yankee Conference champ UMASS blew out West Champ Nevada (independent). FAMU beat UMASS 35-28 for the title. Interestingly enough, the SWAC had TWO bids in 1985, but they didn't fare all that well: Georgia Southern beat Jackson State 27-0, while AR State beat Grambling 10-7. It hasn't always blowouts, though. In 1989, SFA beat Grambling by only a FG in a shootout.

That said, the MEAC has had some success in the playoffs. For example, SC State beat TN State in the first round in 1981, before getting trashed by ID State. They followed that up with a first-round shutout of Furman in 1982. Even as recently as 1998, FAMU beat Troy State in the first round, and made the semis in 1999. It seems that FAMU has had the most playoff success of all of the HBCUs. Dal might be able to correct me on that, as he seems to be the most up on HBCUs....
If you knew anything, you'd know that FAMU was a MEAC team up until this past season. So their '78 NC doesn't count towards SWac STATISTICS..