NCAA.com Playoff Predictions

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

NCAA.com Playoff Predictions

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not sure I agree with automatically assuming that a team that beat the then-#5 team in the country (though I do think we generally agree that said ranking was artificially inflated) would automatically lose to a school that has been ranked much lower all season and STILL make the playoffs at 8-3. I'm not sure 8-3 is a lock this year, but 9-2 probably is. I do like the spread of 4 Sky and 4 MVFC teams, but I'm surprised that only a pair of CAA teams get in under this scenario. I was also surprised (though I suspect most of you already knew) that the seeds have doubled. Also, it appears that the bracket is at least roughly geographically podded, thereby making it harder for OOC first-round games in the West. Villanova heads perhaps the most diverse region, but I suppose that one could call EWU the West Region, SIU the Southeast Region, Sam Houston the Southwest Region, and Villanova the Midwest Region. Not fully traditional, but certainly functional....

Seeds/Byes:

1. Sam Houston State
2. E. Washington
3. S. Illinois
4. Villanova
5. ND State
6. James Madison
7. E. TN State
8. SD State

First Round Games (and where they go after that)

Incarnate Word at SW Missouri State (winner to 1. SHSU)
South Dakota at TN-Martin (winner to 8. SD State)
UC Davis at Montana (winner to 5. ND State)
New Hampshire at Holy Cross (winner to 4. Villanova)
Kennesaw State at SELA (winner to 3. S. Illinois)
Duquesne at VMI (winner to 6. James Madison)
Davidson at TN-Chattanooga (winner to 7. E. TN State)
Sacramento State at Montana State (winner to 2. E. Washington

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... eeds-picks

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
canyoncat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Re: NCAA.com Playoff Predictions

Post by canyoncat »

I was under the impression that conference foes can't play each other in the first round.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:44 am I'm not sure I agree with automatically assuming that a team that beat the then-#5 team in the country (though I do think we generally agree that said ranking was artificially inflated) would automatically lose to a school that has been ranked much lower all season and STILL make the playoffs at 8-3. I'm not sure 8-3 is a lock this year, but 9-2 probably is. I do like the spread of 4 Sky and 4 MVFC teams, but I'm surprised that only a pair of CAA teams get in under this scenario. I was also surprised (though I suspect most of you already knew) that the seeds have doubled. Also, it appears that the bracket is at least roughly geographically podded, thereby making it harder for OOC first-round games in the West. Villanova heads perhaps the most diverse region, but I suppose that one could call EWU the West Region, SIU the Southeast Region, Sam Houston the Southwest Region, and Villanova the Midwest Region. Not fully traditional, but certainly functional....

Seeds/Byes:

1. Sam Houston State
2. E. Washington
3. S. Illinois
4. Villanova
5. ND State
6. James Madison
7. E. TN State
8. SD State

First Round Games (and where they go after that)

Incarnate Word at SW Missouri State (winner to 1. SHSU)
South Dakota at TN-Martin (winner to 8. SD State)
UC Davis at Montana (winner to 5. ND State)
New Hampshire at Holy Cross (winner to 4. Villanova)
Kennesaw State at SELA (winner to 3. S. Illinois)
Duquesne at VMI (winner to 6. James Madison)
Davidson at TN-Chattanooga (winner to 7. E. TN State)
Sacramento State at Montana State (winner to 2. E. Washington

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... eeds-picks
Will be anxious to see what Montana State's passing attack does in the playoffs this could be a possible NFL Audition for QB McKay&WR McCutcheon.Wonder who Sacramento St will send to stop these two in their secondary.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

South Dakota? Are they really going to get in at 6-5???
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

89: That was posted prior to this past weekend's games. There might be an update coming.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

canyoncat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 am I was under the impression that conference foes can't play each other in the first round.
Only if they played each other during the regular season.

In this bracket's case for the Big Sky, MSU didn't play Sac State and UM didn't play UC Davis, so they could end up playing.
canyoncat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by canyoncat »

uofmman1122 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:17 pm
canyoncat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 am I was under the impression that conference foes can't play each other in the first round.
Only if they played each other during the regular season.

In this bracket's case for the Big Sky, MSU didn't play Sac State and UM didn't play UC Davis, so they could end up playing.
Thanks I wasn't aware of that!