2021 Walter Payton Award - Eric Barriere (EWU)

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

2021 Walter Payton Award - Eric Barriere (EWU)

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Including the playoffs, Barriere completed 65% of his passes for 5070 yards, 46 TDs, and 8 INTs (a 167.2 efficiency rating). He also ran for 222 yards and 4 touchdowns. Barriere is the fourth EWU player to win the Payton.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/01/easte ... -the-year/
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2021 Walter Payton Award - Eric Barriere (EWU)

Post by Gil Dobie »

Great player, Congrats!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Not happy with this...but can't really argue with it either. A guy who can throw for 600+ in a single game and 500+ in a few others is not to be sneezed at....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I wonder what the difference from this past Spring was. Cole Kelly won it then. This year he had a higher completion percentage (74% vs. 65%), a higher passing efficiency rating (174.21 vs. 167.05), and more passing yards (5,124 to 5,055) than Barriere. He also had more net rushing yards (491 vs. 222) and more rushing TDs (16 vs. 4).

Barriere had a couple of more passing TDs (46 vs. 44), but you can do the math and see that Kelly had a pretty good edge in TDs accounted for (60 vs. 50). And of course Kelly led FCS in total offense while Barriere was #2 (5,609 vs. 5,277).

Yes Eastern Washington played a tougher schedule than Southeastern Louisiana did but that was the case last year as well. Also I don't think the difference in schedule strength is that big. As an example: Sagarin rates the average strength of D-I teams on Eastern Washington's schedule at 48.73 and the average strength of D-I teams on Southeastern Louisiana's schedule at 46.87.

I wonder why last Spring's award winner didn't win it again when he clearly had the best statistics. Not overwhelmingly so but definitely better.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:23 am Not happy with this...but can't really argue with it either. A guy who can throw for 600+ in a single game and 500+ in a few others is not to be sneezed at....
That 600 yd game was the clincher too bad Barriere does not have the NFL Size.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:23 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:23 am Not happy with this...but can't really argue with it either. A guy who can throw for 600+ in a single game and 500+ in a few others is not to be sneezed at....
Define "NFL Size," dal.

You DO remember QBs named Eddie LeBaron (5'7"), Pat Haden (5'11"), and Doug Flutie (5'10")? They did very well. Other older QBs who were successful include Sonny Jurgensen (5'11"), Tommy O'Connell (5'11"), Seneca Wallace (5'11"), Frankie Albert (5'10"), More recently, successful QBs under 6 feet have included superstar Kyler Murray (5'10") and Russell Wilson (5'11").

Barriere is 6'1 and 210. There shouldn't be ANY issue with his size, dal. Generally, if you're over 6', you're fine. Generally, 6'2" is the so-called "gold standard," but one stinking inch isn't going to make all that much of a difference. What will be held against him, if anything, will be the fact that he played for Eastern Washington as opposed to, say, Alabama.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 am I wonder what the difference from this past Spring was. Cole Kelly won it then. This year he had a higher completion percentage (74% vs. 65%), a higher passing efficiency rating (174.21 vs. 167.05), and more passing yards (5,124 to 5,055) than Barriere. He also had more net rushing yards (491 vs. 222) and more rushing TDs (16 vs. 4).

Barriere had a couple of more passing TDs (46 vs. 44), but you can do the math and see that Kelly had a pretty good edge in TDs accounted for (60 vs. 50). And of course Kelly led FCS in total offense while Barriere was #2 (5,609 vs. 5,277).

Yes Eastern Washington played a tougher schedule than Southeastern Louisiana did but that was the case last year as well. Also I don't think the difference in schedule strength is that big. As an example: Sagarin rates the average strength of D-I teams on Eastern Washington's schedule at 48.73 and the average strength of D-I teams on Southeastern Louisiana's schedule at 46.87.

I wonder why last Spring's award winner didn't win it again when he clearly had the best statistics. Not overwhelmingly so but definitely better.
Seeing Kelley vs JMU, would have been a joke if he won it.
Same with Briscoe 2016. Putting up big stats vs cupcake competition.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:53 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 am I wonder what the difference from this past Spring was. Cole Kelly won it then. This year he had a higher completion percentage (74% vs. 65%), a higher passing efficiency rating (174.21 vs. 167.05), and more passing yards (5,124 to 5,055) than Barriere. He also had more net rushing yards (491 vs. 222) and more rushing TDs (16 vs. 4).

JMU had a very good defense. I think it was better than any defense Eastern Washington played against this year. When Barriere played against Montana State he threw for 214 yards and had a 68% completion percentage. Kelly completed 72% of his passes and threw for 397 yards against JMU.

Another thing I noted earlier that I didn't write about was how each did against their FBS opponent. Both were bad FBS teams Eastern Washington against 2-10 UNLV and Southeastern Louisiana against 3-9 Louisiana Tech. Barrier hit 74% of his passes and threw for 374 yards against UNLF. Kelly hit 75% of his passes and threw for 495 yards against Louisiana Tech.

Do you have any reason to think that Barriere would've done better playing on the road against JMU's defense than Kelly did? I didn't get to watch the game but it looks to me in looking at the reports that the problem for Southeastern Louisiana against JMU wasn't Kelly. It was their defense and the fact that JMU could run the ball and they could not.

I also am guessing that JMU had a lot of pass rush pressure against Kelly. I say that because he got sacked 4 times and he is hard to sack even when protection breaks down.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:16 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:53 pm
JMU had a very good defense. I think it was better than any defense Eastern Washington played against this year. When Barriere played against Montana State he threw for 214 yards and had a 68% completion percentage. Kelly completed 72% of his passes and threw for 397 yards against JMU.

Another thing I noted earlier that I didn't write about was how each did against their FBS opponent. Both were bad FBS teams Eastern Washington against 2-10 UNLV and Southeastern Louisiana against 3-9 Louisiana Tech. Barrier hit 74% of his passes and threw for 374 yards against UNLF. Kelly hit 75% of his passes and threw for 495 yards against Louisiana Tech.

Do you have any reason to think that Barriere would've done better playing on the road against JMU's defense than Kelly did? I didn't get to watch the game but it looks to me in looking at the reports that the problem for Southeastern Louisiana against JMU wasn't Kelly. It was their defense and the fact that JMU could run the ball and they could not.

I also am guessing that JMU had a lot of pass rush pressure against Kelly. I say that because he got sacked 4 times and he is hard to sack even when protection breaks down.
Well about 150 of that was in garbage time vs JMU 2nd/3rd string, after JMU was up 59-13 under 4 min left in the 3rd. In non garbage time Kelly threw for about 250, 1 TD/3 INT, including a pick six. 2 fumbles, 1 lost…

Granted he was probably better than Briscoe 2016.

In non garbage time Barierre probably would have done better.

Playoff games should matter. Are they still doing the nonsense of voting before the playoffs? Johnson had 2 very good games (combined 616 yds/7 TDs/0 INTs) followed by a not so good @ NDSU, but not terrible (25 of 34 (73%), 210 yds, 2 TDs/2 INTs).

Looking at the passing TD/INT
Kelly 44/10,
Barriere 46/8
Johnson 41/4

I would have gone:
1. Barriere
2.Johnson
3. Kelly
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:28 pm
dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:23 pm

Define "NFL Size," dal.

You DO remember QBs named Eddie LeBaron (5'7"), Pat Haden (5'11"), and Doug Flutie (5'10")? They did very well. Other older QBs who were successful include Sonny Jurgensen (5'11"), Tommy O'Connell (5'11"), Seneca Wallace (5'11"), Frankie Albert (5'10"), More recently, successful QBs under 6 feet have included superstar Kyler Murray (5'10") and Russell Wilson (5'11").

Barriere is 6'1 and 210. There shouldn't be ANY issue with his size, dal. Generally, if you're over 6', you're fine. Generally, 6'2" is the so-called "gold standard," but one stinking inch isn't going to make all that much of a difference. What will be held against him, if anything, will be the fact that he played for Eastern Washington as opposed to, say, Alabama.
To me when it comes to Black QBs I wished he was 6'4 or taller for the simple fact when it comes to black QBs if they have one ounce of athletic ability pro scouts they will force them to move to another position to take advantage of their athleticism.But yes I see your point with those players that didn't have the necessary size they showed that they are productive.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

2 time Payton Award winners are rare. Splitting the two seasons so each could win one was probably as much a factor for voters as stats. And not all of these voters are logical or non-biased. EWU’s SoS was 13, SELA’s was 58 according to Massey. EWU faced 3 teams in the top 25 of FCS defenses. SELA didn’t face one in the top 60.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:43 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:28 pm

Define "NFL Size," dal.

To me when it comes to Black QBs I wished he was 6'4 or taller for the simple fact when it comes to black QBs if they have one ounce of athletic ability pro scouts they will force them to move to another position to take advantage of their athleticism.But yes I see your point with those players that didn't have the necessary size they showed that they are productive.
Looks around the NFL…sees a number of black QB’s.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:25 am
dal4018 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:43 am
Looks around the NFL…sees a number of black QB’s.
Yes I know they are all over the place at all sizes at one time that was not the case.I know about the history of black QBs and what they had to deal with just to get their foot in the door.