Football Championship Subdivision discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Massey Ratings

Post by kalm »

Not bad at all for this early in the season.

1. Weber State
2. Montana
3. North Dakota State
4. South Dakota State
5. Sacramento State
6. UIW
7. Chattanooga
8. Delaware
9. William & Mary
10. North Dakota

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings……..(I like the regular version…it’s easier to navigate and read)

Top 12 in SoS are from the Big Sky and MVFC

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Massey Ratings

Post by AZGrizFan »

Is that SOS for the whole season, or just the first three games? Because I’m not sure how Montana could be 2nd, and ahead of schools that have played an FBS team….
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Just because 89 isn't here anymore doesn't mean that Massey all of sudden isn't full of it.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:24 pm Just because 89 isn't here anymore doesn't mean that Massey all of sudden isn't full of it.
Massey is solid as far as ratings go. A few outliers each year but stronger the deeper into the season it goes.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Massey's always sucked in all sports it purports to track, including women's semipro football.

That said, I've heard in the past that it takes a few weeks to "kick in." I'm not sure why. A stat-driven thing should be good from the get-go. Unless it's one of those abstract "made-up" stats we see these days like WAR....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:31 pm Massey's always sucked in all sports it purports to track, including women's semipro football.

That said, I've heard in the past that it takes a few weeks to "kick in." I'm not sure why. A stat-driven thing should be good from the get-go. Unless it's one of those abstract "made-up" stats we see these days like WAR....
Because everyone starts from the same point, opponents results are weighed heavily, and in the Massey FCS ratings, margin of victory is a factor.

I like late in the season as it will rate a 4 or 5 loss MVFC like UNI ahead of many teams from weaker conferences with less losses.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Even Tami Maida's movie boyfriend Scott Massey stunk....

(He was a wanna-be lumber jack and couldn't handle it when she came running to find out he was OK after he fell during a competition, costing him the championship.)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:04 pm Even Tami Maida's movie boyfriend Scott Massey stunk....

(He was a wanna-be lumber jack and couldn't handle it when she came running to find out he was OK after he fell during a competition, costing him the championship.)
Well juggling chainsaws is risky business.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:20 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:24 pm Just because 89 isn't here anymore doesn't mean that Massey all of sudden isn't full of it.
Massey is solid as far as ratings go. A few outliers each year but stronger the deeper into the season it goes.
And every year 89 pointed out just the opposite. I fail to see how Massey is suddenly "solid" now just because the poster most critical of it (with evidence) doesn't post here anymore.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:46 am
kalm wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:20 pm

And every year 89 pointed out just the opposite. I fail to see how Massey is suddenly "solid" now just because the poster most critical of it (with evidence) doesn't post here anymore.
It appears you think there’s some weird gotcha moment here. :?

89 was always “garbage in”. I partially agreed with him and IIRC had discussions with him on it. Obviously, none of the computer models are perfect. Massey’s SoS and easy to use format to look at schedules and results is a good resource and decently predictive.

The AGS poll is still the best poll and the “How They Fared” spreadsheet is also very informative.

If 89 lurks, he can feel free to set me straight.

Thanks for your awesome contribution. :thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:09 am
SuperHornet wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:04 pm Even Tami Maida's movie boyfriend Scott Massey stunk....

Well juggling chainsaws is risky business.
:rofl: