Remember the East vs. West discussion prior to the move to Frisco?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Remember the East vs. West discussion prior to the move to Frisco?

Post by JohnStOnge »

I can't remember if the discussions were on AGS, both AGS and here, or here. But I recall that, when the title game was moved to Frisco, there was discussion of whether it should have been moved further west since programs East of the Mississippi had won the overwhelming majority of national championships and had comprised a substantial majority of programs that made the game.

From the start of IAA/FCS championship games in 1978 through that last one prior to the move to Frisco in 2009, programs East of the Mississippi won 81% (26 of 32) titles and comprised 70% (45 of 64) of the game berths.

Since the game moved to Frisco, programs from WEST of the Mississippi have won 92% (11 of 12) of the championships and comprised 67% (16 of 24) of the game berths.

That is obviously mostly because of North Dakota State. But it is interesting to note that 2 of the 3 titles NOT won by the Bison were won by programs West of the Mississippi. And if South Dakota State wins this season's title, it'll be 3 of 4. Since the game moved to Frisco and counting this season, there have been 6 cases where both programs in the title game were from West of the Mississippi and only 1 case in which both programs were from East of the Mississippi. This is going to be the third consecutive season during which both programs in the title game are from West of the Mississippi.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Remember the East vs. West discussion prior to the move to Frisco?

Post by kalm »

West is best duh!

Also worthy of note, home teams are 22-2 this year.

Hosting bids, seeds, and order of seeds matter. Unless you’re UND who outbid Weber by a bunch.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:45 am Like this blast from the past:
https://www.championshipsubdivision.com ... =4&t=12338
The reference on the first page to schools being within 15 hours drive time is interesting given this year's situation. As of now, according to Goggle Maps, Frisco is a 15.8 hour drive from Fargo, North Dakota and a 13.1 hour drive from Brookings, South Dakota. Chattanooga is an 18.2 hour drive from Fargo and a 16.1 hour drive from Brookings. Not a huge difference but interesting. Looking at who has been in since the game moved to Frisco. I think the average distance between competing schools and game site has definitely been shorter than it would have been if the game had stayed in Chattanooga. You've got all those North Dakota State appearances, two South Dakota State appearances, three Sam Houston State appearances (2.8 hour drive), and a Montana State appearance.
Could I ever be a star?

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

How about a three-year alternation between, oh, say, SoFi Stadium, AT&T Stadium, and Lambeau Field?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:17 am West is best duh!
It wasn't like that before the game moved to Frisco. As noted: Before the championship game moved to Frisco, 26 of 32 national championships were won by programs east of the Mississippi River. I mean, it's coincidence. North Dakota State didn't win all those national titles because the game moved to Frisco. Eastern Washington didn't win its title because the game moved to Frisco.

Maybe Sam Houston State was helped by that. But I think the Bearkats were helped a lot more by South Dakota State having its starting QB knocked out of the game on the first series. And if that hadn't happened it still would have been a program from West of the Mississippi that won the national title. Probably South Dakota State instead of Sam Houston State. Either way a team from West of the Mississippi.

But, even though moving the game to Frisco didn't cause a run of wester teams winning, it's still interesting to see how things turned out given the discussion that was going on.
Could I ever be a star?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

The SoCon, the dominant source of I-AA titles prior to the move, decimating itself with the top half of the conference moving to FBS, probably had as much to do with this shift as anything. The CAA had its decade of glory in the aftermath of this, but couldn't sustain it for multiple reasons. And of course, NDSU being so good really tilted the scales as well. Location of the title game was really not relevant to any of this.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

NDSU makes this conversation null & void.
:coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

This will be the 13th year in Frisco. Most times played at one site. Chatty is next at 12.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm This will be the 13th year in Frisco. Most times played at one site. Chatty is next at 12.
Chattanooga had 13, too (1997-09).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:07 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm This will be the 13th year in Frisco. Most times played at one site. Chatty is next at 12.
Chattanooga had 13, too (1997-09).
Correct, I read incorrect info and didn't check it.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BlackFalkin wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:11 pm NDSU makes this conversation null & void.
Teams from West of the Mississippi only won 6 championships in 32 years prior to the first title game in Frisco. They only won two in the last 20 years prior to the move. If South Dakota State wins this year, teams from West of the Mississippi OTHER THAN North Dakota State will have won 4 national championships in 13 years.

Besides, it doesn't matter if North Dakota State is the biggest factor. It's still interesting that, before the move, people were arguing that the game shouldn't go to Frisco because Frisco is farther from where most of the programs making the championship game were. Turned out not to be an issue.
Could I ever be a star?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:51 pm
BlackFalkin wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:11 pm NDSU makes this conversation null & void.
Teams from West of the Mississippi only won 6 championships in 32 years prior to the first title game in Frisco. They only won two in the last 20 years prior to the move. If South Dakota State wins this year, teams from West of the Mississippi OTHER THAN North Dakota State will have won 4 national championships in 13 years.

Besides, it doesn't matter if North Dakota State is the biggest factor. It's still interesting that, before the move, people were arguing that the game shouldn't go to Frisco because Frisco is farther from where most of the programs making the championship game were. Turned out not to be an issue.
Most of the noise came from GSU and Appy St folks. They obviously enjoyed the proximity to Chattanooga. Now that they are both playing FBS, clearly they don't care about the increased distance to Frisco.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation