22%

Total votes: 9

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Re: “Conference Realignment…”

Post by BlackFalkin »

So where does the Cardinal go from here? Stanford head coach Troy Taylor revealed on Wednesday that the only goal his program has is to play Power-Five football moving forward.
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... departures

That sounds like either Independent or just like the other six members, they’ll be FORCED to find a “Power-Five” home.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:17 pm
dal4018 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:00 am

What about San Diego St would they be interested in joining the Pac-12
There is a TON of speculation regarding San Diego State. Much of it surrounds their pre-emptive move to leave the MWC that nearly backfired when the Pac-12 fiddle-farted with the invite the Aztecs clearly expected. You can probably blame the incompetent commissioner for that. Now there's all sorts of stuff going around about SDSU's failed attempt to create their own super-conference. They're probably as much persona non grata right now as AZ State is after their AD ran his mouth about Morgantown....
Yes I saw that what's his problem with West Virginia?????
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Reser Stadium poses a problem after Pac-12 shakeup

Experts and OSU athletic faculty mention the terrible situation OSU is in because of the hiccups with the Reser Stadium renovation. Last season Reser Stadium sat 23k, this season it will sit 35k. They also mention that “Oregon State is looking for a new conference!:?

https://www.kgw.com/video/news/investig ... 327bf2475b
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:33 pm Reser Stadium poses a problem after Pac-12 shakeup

Experts and OSU athletic faculty mention the terrible situation OSU is in because of the hiccups with the Reser Stadium renovation. Last season Reser Stadium sat 23k, this season it will sit 35k. They also mention that “Oregon State is looking for a new conference!:?

They might be heard to The Big XII
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:53 pm
BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:33 pm Reser Stadium poses a problem after Pac-12 shakeup

They might be heard to The Big XII
From my understanding, adding teams to a conference with an existing media deal reduces the payout to the schools currently in the conference unless the media partners are willing to pony up more money.

For example. The B1G0 schools were set to earn $60 million/year. Just adding Oregon & Washington would have reduced that by almost $7 million/year/school. They obviously didn't want to do that. They asked their media partners how much more they'd give if Oregon & Washington were added and those additional funds will be their interim share.

Unfortunately for Oregon State they don't have the national cache that Oregon does so their media value is significantly less than Oregon's or even the 4 corners schools. I don't think the Big XII is going to give them a lot of money to join. If they get an offer and take it it's probably in anticipation of being a full member and benefiting from the next media deal in 231 which is a long way off.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:32 pm
dal4018 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:53 pm
They might be headed to The Big XII
From my understanding, adding teams to a conference with an existing media deal reduces the payout to the schools currently in the conference unless the media partners are willing to pony up more money.

For example. The B1G0 schools were set to earn $60 million/year. Just adding Oregon & Washington would have reduced that by almost $7 million/year/school. They obviously didn't want to do that. They asked their media partners how much more they'd give if Oregon & Washington were added and those additional funds will be their interim share.

Unfortunately for Oregon State they don't have the national cache that Oregon does so their media value is significantly less than Oregon's or even the 4 corners schools. I don't think the Big XII is going to give them a lot of money to join. If they get an offer and take it it's probably in anticipation of being a full member and benefiting from the next media deal in 231 which is a long way off.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

So the Beavers are staying put
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

The Pac-12 is looking for future members to save this once popular conference and one of the schools in the running is SMU which is in BIG XII TERRITORY.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:56 pm The Pac-12 is looking for future members to save this once popular conference and one of the schools in the running is SMU which is in BIG XII TERRITORY.
The PAC12 can't do anything until they know if Stanford and Cal are going to the ACC. It's probably curtains if they make that jump. If they don't, Oliver Luck might be able to pull off a miracle and snag some AAC teams like SMU this year and then some Mountain West teams next year.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

The end result will be semi-pro college football league or leagues.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am
dal4018 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:56 pm The Pac-12 is looking for future members to save this once popular conference and one of the schools in the running is SMU which is in BIG XII TERRITORY.
The PAC12 can't do anything until they know if Stanford and Cal are going to the ACC. It's probably curtains if they make that jump. If they don't, Oliver Luck might be able to pull off a miracle and snag some AAC teams like SMU this year and then some Mountain West teams next year.
Stanford University said that they would play in the ACC for free just saw this story about this school.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:50 am The end result will be semi-pro college football league or leagues.
With the obvious exception of the SEC&BIG 10
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Has Hawaii been asked to join the Pac-12
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

dal4018 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:56 pm The Pac-12 is looking for future members to save this once popular conference…
Source? :coffee:

“The PAC 12” is just a name without its CORE members, without USC, UCLA, UO, UW, UA, & ASU it will probably lose its “Power 5” designation. If that happens the Mountain West teams may as well stay put. Hawaii had its chance, they didn’t rebuild the old 50k stadium. None of the Mountain West teams ever made a move towards Power 5 status, that’s why the Pac12 went with Utah & Colorado during the previous round of conference realignment.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Stanford and SMU are holding out hope for the ACC, despite the fact that the ACC has already said no. The AAC is apparently considering Cal and Stanford. The best bet would be a merger with the Mountain West, but even that isn't a guaranteed thing, and may include the purge of Hawai'i, San Jose State, and Nevada. Cal and Stanford COULD survive on the indy route, but Wazzu and OR State patently CANNOT. They may well end up having to go begging to the Big Sky, but I'm not sure even the Big Sky would accept them. Taking Nevada back might be a better option, but nobody's talking about that, either....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

If Stanford and Cal leave for the ACC, which reportedly has more momentum than ever, Washington State really will essentially have their choice of the Mountain West or the American. This is of course assuming that Oliver Luck is unable to attract programs to the Pac-12.

While many people think of the new rivalries and more money their favorite program will bring in, not many consider the effects that realignment has on a program like Washington State whose future is likely trending to no longer being in a Power 5 conference.
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ng-forward

So if Cal & Stanford bolt to the ACC, Oregon State & Wazzu will go down to Group of 5 Football. :lol:

Btw, both schools had decades to ready themselves for this eventuality.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

The Big Ten expansion could hit the East Coast in the future, with the conference having plans to lure teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The league recently added Oregon and Washington from the Pac-12 but still has plans to expand.

According to college football insider Greg Swaim, the Big Ten has spoken with Florida State and Clemson about potential realignment through third parties. The Seminoles and Tigers are exploring leaving the ACC for a stronger Power Five league.

They are unhappy with the ACC's revenue distribution model and the current media rights deal with ESPN that runs until 2036.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/college ... es-reports

The ACC is could turn into crap without Clemson & Florida State