2023 Big Sky Predictions

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

2023 Big Sky Predictions

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

• 1. UC Davis ______________8-0____10-1_____ The Aggies looked like a top-10 team during the second half of last season
    2. Idaho___________________7-1_____9-2_____ The Vandals are loaded on offense, so their main focus should be avoiding the dreaded sophomore slump
    3. Montana State__________6-2_____8-3_____ The 'Cats are contenders, of course, but they have too many tough road games
    4. Montana _______________5-3_____8-3_____ Will Bobby Hauck's game of assistant-coach musical chairs pay off?
    5. Weber State____________5-3_____6-5_____ Weber should still be decent, but it's probably "mental" to pick them at the top after their losses on offense
    6. Sacramento State ______5-3_____7-4_____ Having to play their successful, just departed coach in mid-September should make the Hornet non-conference nice & awkward
    7. Eastern Washington____4-4_____4-7_____ The Eags decide to commit schedule suicide again as an 0-5 start is plausible
    8. Portland State__________3-5_____4-7_____ Bruce Barnum looks to get his 8th. straight losing season :?
    9. Northern Arizona ______2-6_____3-8_____ Chris Ball figured out his employment situation as he brought in ≈30 FBS & FCS transfers
    10.Northern Colorado_____2-6_____2-9_____ The Bears enter witness protection after putting the McCaffrey Crime Family away
    11.Cal Poly _______________1-7_____3-8_____ We've officially entered the mirror universe as Paul Wulff is now replacing Beau Baldwin
    12.Idaho State ____________0-8_____0-11____ One Hawkins at the top, the other Hawkins at the bottom…
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2023 Big Sky Predictions

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:19 pm
  • 1. UC Davis ______________8-0____10-1_____ The Aggies looked like a top-10 team during the second half of last season
    2. Idaho___________________7-1_____9-2_____ The Vandals are loaded on offense, so their main focus should be avoiding the dreaded sophomore slump
    3. Montana State__________6-2_____8-3_____ The 'Cats are contenders, of course, but they have too many tough road games
    4. Montana _______________5-3_____8-3_____ Will Bobby Hauck's game of assistant-coach musical chairs pay off?
    5. Weber State____________5-3_____6-5_____ Weber should still be decent, but it's probably "mental" to pick them at the top after their losses on offense
    6. Sacramento State ______5-3_____7-4_____ Having to play their successful, just departed coach in mid-September should make the Hornet non-conference nice & awkward
    7. Eastern Washington____4-4_____4-7_____ The Eags decide to commit schedule suicide again as an 0-5 start is plausible
    8. Portland State__________3-5_____4-7_____ Bruce Barnum looks to get his 8th. straight losing season :?
    9. Northern Arizona ______2-6_____3-8_____ Chris Ball figured out his employment situation as he brought in ≈30 FBS & FCS transfers
    10.Northern Colorado_____2-6_____2-9_____ The Bears enter witness protection after putting the McCaffrey Crime Family away
    11.Cal Poly _______________1-7_____3-8_____ We've officially entered the mirror universe as Paul Wulff is now replacing Beau Baldwin
    12.Idaho State ____________0-8_____0-11____ One Hawkins at the top, the other Hawkins at the bottom…
Very solid list, Mvem. It’s hard to see Davis having more than 2 total losses. And the conference schedule is highly favorable.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:54 amVery solid list, Mvem. It’s hard to see Davis having more than 2 total losses. And the conference schedule is highly favorable.
Thanks. :thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Ain't no way the Manure Pile will be above Sac. While I'm not going to predict an undefeated season again, and it's been a while since I've seen the entire schedule, I see us as 8-3 or better.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:38 pm Ain't no way the Manure Pile will be above Sac. While I'm not going to predict an undefeated season again, and it's been a while since I've seen the entire schedule, I see us as 8-3 or better.
My picks for Sac:

W - @ Nicholls (a loss wouldn't shock me since it's in Louisiana in the Summer)
W - Texas A&M-Commerce
L - @ Stanford (I would've picked a win here if Stanford's coach was somebody else)
L - @ Idaho
W - NAU
W - @ Northern Colorado
W - Montana St.
W - Idaho St.
L - @ Montana
W - Cal Poly
L - @ UC Davis
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Thanks for showing me the schedule, Venus. Based on THAT, I'm going 11-1. The only loss is Stanford, which gives us a shot at another undie record since they have a history of playing to the level of the opponent (though not as bad about it as OR State). I'm still going to call that a loss for now, though.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Nice list. I second Kalm.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Idaho State has renovated their stadium, so they’ll win at least a few games, if not more. Bank it! :coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:48 pmImage

Idaho State has renovated their stadium, so they’ll win at least a few games, if not more. Bank it! :coffee:
ISU has maybe 3 winnable games on their schedule: vs. NoCo, vs. EWU, @ PSU. Their non-conference schedule is suicide.

Anything more than 2 wins would really surprise me.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:46 amNice list. I second Kalm.
Thanks. :thumb:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Idaho starts the season @Lamar, @ Nevada, @ California
What’s up with that Mvem?
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

UC Davis plays Oregon State, Eastern Wash, Weber State, Sac State and Montana. You have them going 10-1. You think they’ll go 4-1 or 5-0 against those five teams?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:30 pm
UC Davis plays Oregon State, Eastern Wash, Weber State, Sac State and Montana. You have them going 10-1. You think they’ll go 4-1 or 5-0 against those five teams?
No, I don't think the Manure Pile will beat EWU, Weber, Sac, or Montana. They MIGHT win HALF of those, but they certainly will NOT beat the Hornets. OR State? That's a different story. They have a history of playing to the level of the competition, and have lost to multiple Big Sky teams. I think even Davis has beaten OR State. They even lost to a UOP team that was in a I-A league that was probably equivalent to or even inferior to the Big Sky at the time, and that UOP team gave up the ghost after that season ended. The pressure of the Pac-12 implosion might also have an effect on OR State's season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis beat the Beavers, and then have problems getting through the conference season, simply because I see the entire top half of the Big Sky as better than OR State and Wazzu. (OK, I may be exaggerating that, but I would put Montana, MT State, BBQ, EWU, and Sac in that category.

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:03 pm
BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:30 pm

No, I don't think the Manure Pile will beat EWU, Weber, Sac, or Montana. They MIGHT win HALF of those, but they certainly will NOT beat the Hornets. OR State? That's a different story. They have a history of playing to the level of the competition, and have lost to multiple Big Sky teams. I think even Davis has beaten OR State. They even lost to a UOP team that was in a I-A league that was probably equivalent to or even inferior to the Big Sky at the time, and that UOP team gave up the ghost after that season ended. The pressure of the Pac-12 implosion might also have an effect on OR State's season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis beat the Beavers, and then have problems getting through the conference season, simply because I see the entire top half of the Big Sky as better than OR State and Wazzu. (OK, I may be exaggerating that, but I would put Montana, MT State, BBQ, EWU, and Sac in that category.
Oregon State still hasn’t completed their stadium renovation, so I agreed Davis will give ‘em a fight, but I’ll take the Beavers in that game. OSU better show up this season or they’ll get washed (along with Washington State) in Conference Realignment. I think they know that. I think this season sees Sacramento State, Weber State (renovation), EWU, or MSU at the top. Sac State may not just go away after last season, and Weber State may finally show up late. It’s hard to forecast.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:21 pmIdaho starts the season @Lamar, @ Nevada, @ California
They don't like playing in the Kibbie Dome, I guess? :?

I still have them going 2-1: Lamar's terrible and both FBS games are winnable (especially Nevada).
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:30 pmUC Davis plays Oregon State, Eastern Wash, Weber State, Sac State and Montana. You have them going 10-1. You think they’ll go 4-1 or 5-0 against those five teams?
I have them losing to OSU and narrowly edging out Weber on the road. They get the other 3 at home (and I think they're better than those 3 anyway).
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:39 am
BlackFalkin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:21 pmIdaho starts the season @Lamar, @ Nevada, @ California

I still have them going 2-1: Lamar's terrible and both FBS games are winnable (especially Nevada).
So that could be a 3-0 start to the Idaho’s 2023 campaign, YEAH Go VANDALS! In 2022 Idaho & UC Davis finish 4th & 5th, and this season they’re walking through 2 FBS teams on the road, and winning an FCS Championship. You’re either a genius or pickin up cow pies for 40 years has rotten you brain Mvem. Yoooo Hoo! Go Vandals!!
Last edited by BlackFalkin on Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BlackFalkin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:46 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:39 am

So that could be a 3-0 start to Davis’ 2023 campaign, YEAH Go AGGIES! In 2022 Idaho & UC Davis finish 4th & 5th, and this season they’re walking through 2 FBS teams on the road, and winning an FCS Championship. You’re either a genius or pickin up cow pies for 40 years has rotten you brain Mvem. Yoooo Hoo! Go Aggies! Gunrock!
I didn't pick Davis to win an FBS game; I have them losing to Oregon State.

Davis & Idaho didn't lose much, and they get most all of their tough conference games at home. MSU has some difficult road games, while Sac/Weber lost a lot on offense as well as their successful head coaches. As for the Griz… I just don't see them being much (if any) better than last year overall.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Big Sky has lots of good teams until the playoffs start

Media darlins
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:15 am Big Sky has lots of good teams until the playoffs start

Media darlins
Something’s never change…

BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:01 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:15 am Big Sky has lots of good teams until the playoffs start

Media darlins
Something’s never change…

Speaking of Brandon Kaufman diving into the endzone, Delaware really hasn’t recovered from that loss in Frisco. Have they Caribbean Hen? ;)
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

• 1. Montana _______________7-1____10-1_____ +2/+2 vs. my predictions
    2. Idaho __________________6-2_____8-3_____ -1/-1 vs. my predictions
    3. Montana State__________6-2_____8-3_____ Nailed It!
    4. Northern Arizona ______5-3_____5-6_____ +3/+2 vs. my predictions
    5. UC Davis_______________5-3_____7-4_____ -3/-3 vs. my predictions
    6. Sacramento State ______4-4_____7-4_____ -1/0 vs. my predictions
    7. Portland State__________4-4_____5-6_____ +1/+1 vs. my predictions
    8. Weber State____________4-4_____6-5_____ -1/0 vs. my predictions
    9. Idaho State ____________3-5_____3-8_____ +3/+3 vs. my predictions
    10.Eastern Washington____3-5_____4-7_____ -1/0 vs. my predictions
    11.Cal Poly _______________1-7_____3-8_____ Nailed It!
    12.Northern Colorado_____0-8_____0-11____ -2/-2 vs. my predictions

I only nailed 2 teams, one less than last year, but I did get the overall records for 3 other teams (all won a non-conference game I didn't expect).
It's the second-straight year I've nailed the records for MSU and Cal Poly.
The Griz went from looking much worse than I expected in September to looking a bit better than I figured in October/November.
Davis wasn't as good as I expected—even with Larison available the whole season, I doubt they would've gone 10-1
Chris Ball almost certainly keeps his job if his team bothers to show up for Utah Tech. :?
Ed Lamb has even more work to do than I thought. :ohno:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:38 pm Ain't no way the Manure Pile will be above Sac. While I'm not going to predict an undefeated season again, and it's been a while since I've seen the entire schedule, I see us as 8-3 or better.
Well...
:thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:45 pm
Well...
SH mysteriously hasn't logged in since August, so I have no idea if he'll see this.