Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

2023 FCS Playoff Thread, brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Post by JohnStOnge »

Where is the thread about who's in the playoff field? i know it must be there and I'm not recognizing it.

I wanted to write about how cool it is that the best HBCU is going to be in the playoffs this year instead of in the Celebration Bowl.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Help me out here

Post by 89Hen »

Regionality sucks giant dicks.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Davis got screwed.

It will be fun to watch NDSU hit the road.

NCCU deserves it. They scheduled and beat 3 CAA’s.

Pleased they didn’t give ICW a bid.

What ‘89 said.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

The committee didn't do a good job, to be honest.

Richmond shouldn't even have been sniffing an at-large (didn't play Albany, Villanova, Delaware, or UNH).
Holy Cross should've been in, as well as UCA.
Sac gets in ahead of Davis? Second-straight year Davis has been left out in favor of a less-deserving conference opponent.
NDSU should've been seeded, especially after how they've played the last two weeks.
I also don't think NC Central should've gotten in… maybe if they'd lost to Howard close instead of getting blown out, but that's not what went down.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:45 pm I wanted to write about how cool it is that the best HBCU is going to be in the playoffs this year instead of in the Celebration Bowl.
i missed that Florida A&M is 10-1 and ranked higher than North Carolina Central in the polls.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:57 pm The committee didn't do a good job, to be honest.

Richmond shouldn't even have been sniffing an at-large (didn't play Albany, Villanova, Delaware, or UNH).
Sac gets in ahead of Davis? Second-straight year Davis has been left out in favor of a less-deserving conference opponent.
NDSU should've been seeded, especially after how they've played the last two weeks.
I also don't think NC Central should've gotten in… maybe if they'd lost to Howard close instead of getting blown out, but that's not what went down.
Totally agree on the Bison. But I can still be happy seeing them hit the road. :)

The CAA might be worse for all the additions. Richmond loss to Morgan State. That’s 4 CAA losses to the MEAC. 😳
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:10 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:57 pm The committee didn't do a good job, to be honest.

Totally agree on the Bison. But I can still be happy seeing them hit the road. :)

The CAA might be worse for all the additions. Richmond loss to Morgan State. That’s 4 CAA losses to the MEAC. 😳
Norfolk State finished with 2 CAA wins and 1 MEAC win. :lol:
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

Being honest I only pay attention to the Big Sky. So can someone help me understand why regionality sucks? Were some matchups unfair or crappy or something?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Vidav wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:55 pm Being honest I only pay attention to the Big Sky. So can someone help me understand why regionality sucks? Were some matchups unfair or crappy or something?
7-4 and 8-3 BSC and MVFC typically get matched up in the opening round. CAA and SoCon are more likely to face a AQ from a weaker conference.

Seeding the entire field would avoid this. That’s too expensive for the NCAA.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:22 pm
Vidav wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:55 pm Being honest I only pay attention to the Big Sky. So can someone help me understand why regionality sucks? Were some matchups unfair or crappy or something?
7-4 and 8-3 BSC and MVFC typically get matched up in the opening round. CAA and SoCon are more likely to face a AQ from a weaker conference.

Seeding the entire field would avoid this. That’s too expensive for the NCAA.
Ah okay. Appreciate the explanation. :thumb:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:57 pm Davis got screwed.

It will be fun to watch NDSU hit the road.

NCCU deserves it. They scheduled and beat 3 CAA’s.

Pleased they didn’t give ICW a bid.

What ‘89 said.
NCCU will matchup with Richmond and ppl are saying that the Spiders are not that good but they have a 9-2 mark so my school the Eagles better not take them lightly and Davis Richard needs to use this game as a NFL AUDITION he has enough size at 6-3 220 to play at the next level.He is a Detroit native what if Lions spot him and take him in the draft.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:45 pm Where is the thread about who's in the playoff field? i know it must be there and I'm not recognizing it.

I wanted to write about how cool it is that the best HBCU is going to be in the playoffs this year instead of in the Celebration Bowl.
Howard University QB Quinton Williams needs to use the Celebration Bowl as a NFL AUDITION he is 6-5 200 and he has the obvious size to play in the NFL.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sac St got in because of the Stanford win, says Montanas AD.

Holy Cross lost to BC
SIU beat NIU
NIU beat BC

FBS wins helped 2 teams get in.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:08 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:45 pm I wanted to write about how cool it is that the best HBCU is going to be in the playoffs this year instead of in the Celebration Bowl.
i missed that Florida A&M is 10-1 and ranked higher than North Carolina Central in the polls.
Doesn’t mean there better
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

89Hen wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:51 pm Regionality sucks giant dicks.
Totally ruined the playoffs

FCS needs a sugar daddy
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Where is the thread about who's in the playoff field? i know it must be there and I'm not recognizing it.

Lo and behold, you started the very thread you were looking for.

Mods, can someone give JSO a hand by renaming this thread to 2023 Playoff Thread or similar?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:06 am
JohnStOnge wrote:Where is the thread about who's in the playoff field? i know it must be there and I'm not recognizing it.

Mods, can someone give JSO a hand by renaming this thread to 2023 Playoff Thread or similar?
Done
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

2023 FCS Playoff Thread, brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:26 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:06 am

Done
Perfect! :clap:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:51 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:08 pm

Well, they're rated higher in model power ratings too. Not by much. But rated higher.

I continue to think it's sad that the two most prominent HBCU leagues opt out just like I think it's sad that the Ivy opts out.

To my knowledge, none of those leagues opt out of any other NCAA tournament. Not basketball. Not baseball. So on and so forth.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:59 pm

Well, they're rated higher in model power ratings too. Not by much. But rated higher.

I continue to think it's sad that the two most prominent HBCU leagues opt out just like I think it's sad that the Ivy opts out.

To my knowledge, none of those leagues opt out of any other NCAA tournament. Not basketball. Not baseball. So on and so forth.
The Southland Champ lost to one of the last 4 in. :o
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

I don’t blame your HBCUs at all. Follow the money the fans love the celebration bowl.

But I agree with you I would love to see them in the playoffs with the Ivy League as well
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:51 pm

The Southland Champ lost to one of the last 4 in. :o
Well, they were actually in all along because they had an automatic bid. But the Southland has fallen off the edge.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2023 FCS Playoff Thread, brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:59 pm Well, they're rated higher in model power ratings too. Not by much. But rated higher.

I don’t blame your HBCUs at all. Follow the money the fans love the celebration bowl.

But I agree with you I would love to see them in the playoffs with the Ivy League as well
+1
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:10 pm

Everyone is attacking Richmond inspite of their 9-2 record NCCU should not take them lightly.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Re: 2023 FCS Playoff Thread, brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:56 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote:

+1
Point taken about the money the HBCU FAMILY is trying to get paid but I still want to see what the SWAC&MEAC could do vs the big boys in the postseason.I want to see these leagues get some recognition nationwide.