CAA Forecast - William & Mary

Football Championship Subdivision discussions

How do you think William & Mary will fare in 2009??

Poll ended at Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:00 am

At least 8 wins, and more than 1 playoff win.
10%
At least 8 wins, and only 1 playoff win.
10%
At least 8 wins, but no playoff wins.
No votes
7 wins and makes the playoffs.
20%
7 wins and doesn't make the playoffs.
40%
Less than 7 wins.
20%

Total votes: 10

jstclmet
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Villanova

CAA Forecast - William & Mary

Post by jstclmet »

The Pluses:
1. 15 starters returning (8 Def + 7 Off), plus others who have started at times during the season.

2. 4 of the OL return, only the tackles are plus 300.

3. DL returns at full strength.

4. QB new, but experienced.

5. RB's are good.

6. Could win a number of other conferences.

The negatives:
1. The middle of the OL is < 300, and the word last year was that the OL was not very strong. Hopefully, their strength & conditionin program improved during the off season.

2. Both DE's are on the small side (Tracey 243 & Herbert 237).

3. Will only be as good as their running game. Very heavy burden on the OL, and will still have to outpoint teams to win. Very unlikely, they'll be able to shut the better teams down.

On to the schedule;

9/5 @ UVA - UVA's fanbase is very confident (over confident) that this game will be a cakewalk. UVA is not a very strong ACC team, and is very young. However, W&M does not appear to have the horses to run with UVA. That smallish def will get run over here. Tough to pick a score, but I'd say something like 27 - 10 UVA.

9/12 vs Central Connecticut State - CCSU has a lot to work out, and will run into a W&M team that's angrier than #@$%. 35 - 3 W&M.

9/19 @ Norfolk St. - In state rivalry games are always fun. W&M exercises their run and passing game, and breezes for another W, 31 - 13.

9/26 vs Delaware - Two years ago, UD came into Zable stadium, and set all kinds of records on opening night. W&M seeks to erase these demons and prove to the world that they are a contender in the CAA South. The W&M ground game runs over, through, and around UD for a convincing 28 - 17 win.

10/3 @ Villanova - The first game with one of the CAA South big boys. Nova's fast and aggressive def proves to be to quick for the W&M OL, and the Nova O wears down the W&M DL for a 38 - 21 Nova win.

10/10 @ Northeastern - Fired up from the previous week's loss, W&M takes it out on lowly NU. NU is in major rebuilding mode, and is worn down quickly. W&M 24 - 7.

10/17 Bye

10/24 vs JMU. This is the game that may very well decide if W&M makes the playoff. At this point W&M only has two losses on the season, one to a FBS team, the other to a ranked opponent. Win here, and W&M could be in the Catbird seat. Lose here, and it's a tough road ahead. JMU is also in Major Re-Build, but there's still a lot left in the cupboard. W&M had two weeks to prepare. Shaking my Magic 8 ball, and flipping a coin, I'm going with W&M in a close one 24 - 21.

10/31 @ URI. Riding last week's high, W&M does not dare let down @ URI. Feeling the playoff momentum beginnng to build, W&M wins going away 33 - 10.

11/7 vs Towson. Another must win for W&M. W&M dispatches TU who's in the middle of rebuilding for a 24 - 0 win.

11/14 vs New Hampshire. W&M stole one @ UNH in 08. Now in the comforts of Zable, W&M wins the home finale with the playoffs in sight 28 - 24.

11/21 @ Richmond. Season finale at the Defending Champs. Unfortunately for W&M the Spiders are not ready to give up their trophy yet. UR prevails 27 - 23.

Overall 8 - 3, CAA 6 - 2.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: CAA Forecast - William & Mary

Post by dbackjon »

Very good analysis

7 wins with no playoffs. Only one I disagree on is the JMU game.
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

jstclmet wrote:10/3 @ Villanova - The first game with one of the CAA South big boys.
:lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Bosco
A.K.A.: Feldman

Post by wideright82 »

93henfan wrote:
jstclmet wrote:10/3 @ Villanova - The first game with one of the CAA South big boys.

4 in a row.
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wideright82 »

dbackjon wrote:Very good analysis

These team by team analysis he did last year were great. Glad were back into em!
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

dbackjon wrote:Very good analysis

This game will be the weekend after JMU has faced Nova and Richmond back to back at home. Depending on how those games go could determine how JMU comes into this game mentally and physically. Best case scenario I think JMU will have 1-2 loses at this point of the season... if they lose to both Nova and Richmond, JMU could be a three loss team at this point. W&M is also coming off a bye week prior to the JMU game...

I don't foresee us losing this game, but that could also depend on what state the team is at this point in the season, considering we don't really have a bye week this year.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

wideright82 wrote:
93henfan wrote:

4 in a row.
That's how many playoff games it takes to win the FCS championship. Maybe Nova can figure that out one year.
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wideright82 »

93henfan wrote:
wideright82 wrote:

4 in a row.
That's how many playoff games it takes to win the FCS championship. Maybe Nova can figure that out one year.

:lol: I can't wait for football season, more importantly, I can't wait for the last game of the regular season.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

wideright82 wrote:
93henfan wrote:

:lol: I can't wait for football season, more importantly, I can't wait for the last game of the regular season.
Agreed. The game will be settled on the field, but the trash talking is just as much fun. You guys do look good on paper this year though.
wideright82
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wideright82 »

93henfan wrote:
wideright82 wrote:

Agreed. The game will be settled on the field, but the trash talking is just as much fun.

Oh it is great. You just had to go right for the low blow.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I've circled 9/26 on my calendar! Hoping to meet both UD and W&M posters there. :)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.