Griz take down Southern Utah

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Griz take down Southern Utah

Post by MrTitleist »

37-17. Closer than most of us thought, but SUU played very well, very few penalties, and had a surprising good QB. He wasn't too shabby at all.
ImageImageImageImageImage
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
A.K.A.: Chupacabra

Re: Griz take down Southern Utah

Post by NDSUFREAK »

SUU has definitely gotten better........so what was the secret weapon :mrgreen:
enicmt

Post by enicmt »

their QB
xtremegriz

Post by xtremegriz »

I was very impressed to SUU today. Even with their strong schedule, I expect them to win a few games this season. Best of luck to them for the rest of the season.
MONTANA MONTANA STATE
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

Looked to me as if the Griz played it very close to the vest during the game. I haven't watch a replay of the game but I don't recall seeing the defense blitz at all. Maybe I just missed it.

Additionally, from the sounds of it, it seemed like Hauck must have played 50 - 60 different kids through out the game. He likes to do that and that's one of the reasons he likes an easier OOC schedule. I happen to agree with that as well. Build depth!

I sure wouldn't want to be the Griz center this week. Seemed like 3/4 of the snaps when the Griz were in the shot gun formation were received by the QB at ankle hight or lower! I bet that kid doesn't get to stand up straight all week except to run sprints!

OL needs more work as does everyone. It will be interesting to see how far the team progresses by the time Albany comes to town.

Of SPECIAL MENTION, this is the 1st game that I can recall in years where it can't even complain a bit about the play calling! Good job coaches!!!
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

VictorG wrote:Looked to me as if the Griz played it very close to the vest during the game. I haven't watch a replay of the game but I don't recall seeing the defense blitz at all. Maybe I just missed it.

Additionally, from the sounds of it, it seemed like Hauck must have played 50 - 60 different kids through out the game. He likes to do that and that's one of the reasons he likes an easier OOC schedule. I happen to agree with that as well. Build depth!

I sure wouldn't want to be the Griz center this week. Seemed like 3/4 of the snaps when the Griz were in the shot gun formation were received by the QB at ankle hight or lower! I bet that kid doesn't get to stand up straight all week except to run sprints!

OL needs more work as does everyone. It will be interesting to see how far the team progresses by the time Albany comes to town.

Of SPECIAL MENTION, this is the 1st game that I can recall in years where it can't even complain a bit about the play calling! Good job coaches!!!
My only complaint was that it didn't seem like there was any attempt to stretch the field. I can't recall Berquist going downfield even once (didn't see every play though, so could be wrong). Really wish the OC would put a little more pizazz in the offense, unless he/Hauck were just keeping things under wraps for conference play.... :cry:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

What a change from last year when 3rd and 2 ended up an incomplete 20 yard side line pattern 3 or 4 times a game! (Although we were pretty good at getting 3rd and 15!)

No, we never tried stretching the field. I do believe we do need to try it at least once or twice a game. I think the longest attempt was Allens second TD if I'm not mistaken.

We'll see what happens against Albany. Next week will be nothing more than a scrum, but fun for me anyway!
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I could see a 20-yd out route once or twice a game on 3rd & 2, but if it's every stinking down, then it's NEVER going to work since the defense is going to discount the run. Gotta mix in some dive, lead, toss sweep (my favorite there), and sneak. This will allow those 20-yard routes to be believable, particularly if they're run off of dive or lead play action. That long pass route run as a straight pass will almost never work.

Good luck next week, Vic. The last thing we need is for the Griz to be this week's Michigan, particularly when Montana is being set up to win the NC not only by history (every six years) but by a certain jinx that's about to hit Appy.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
WYOBISONMAN
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The NDSU Bison

Post by WYOBISONMAN »

Nothing would please me more than to see Southern Utah knock the hell out of UND!
Kelly Green
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by Kelly Green »

WYOBISONMAN wrote:Nothing would please me more than to see Southern Utah knock the hell out of UND!
Nothing?
Kelly Green
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by Kelly Green »

WYOBISONMAN wrote:Nothing would please me more than to see Southern Utah knock the hell out of UND!
37 UND
10 SUU

Final