THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

College Hoops discussion
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by vutomcat »

RU's win against Seton Hall was without Powell I believe. I think he only played a few minutes. These two teams play each other next so one of them will be on a three game losing streak.

Can't wait for March Madness.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Out of conference stats to consider:

The Big East leads all conferences with an 80.1 percent winning percentage, ahead of the Big 12 (76.5%), Big Ten (75.7%), ACC (75.3%), Pac-12 (74.2%), AAC (70.5%) and SEC (70.4%).

The Big Ten and Big East are knotted 8-8 through 16 non-conference games this season so even though the Big Ten won the 2019 Gavitt Tip-Off games 5-3 this season, the two conferences are even thus far. Other competitive series include the Big Ten leading the ACC 11-9, the SEC 5-3, and the Big 12 and A-10 4-3; the Big 12 leading the Pac-12 5-4; the ACC and the Big 12 tied with three wins apiece against each other.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 am even though the Big Ten won the 2019 Gavitt Tip-Off games 5-3 this season...
Kind of funny to look at those results and where those teams are now...

Depaul beat Iowa.... not sure they do that today.
Michigan beat Creighton.... not sure they do that today.
Ohio State pasted Villanova....
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:09 am
vutomcat wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 am even though the Big Ten won the 2019 Gavitt Tip-Off games 5-3 this season...
Kind of funny to look at those results and where those teams are now...

Depaul beat Iowa.... not sure they do that today.
Michigan beat Creighton.... not sure they do that today.
Ohio State pasted Villanova....
November/December basketball is for message board fodder. The real season starts in March. Everything before then is basically pre-season. Still fun, but March dominates everything.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Tough loss for the Scarlet Knights last night. Hard to see them in the tournament with a 1-10 record on the road and neutral court.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Dumb win for the Terps last night. Had no business winning that game at Minny. But I'll take it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 am Tough loss for the Scarlet Knights last night. Hard to see them in the tournament with a 1-10 record on the road and neutral court.
They're almost a lock to be in the tournament now. Kenpom rating is in the 20's. It would be almost unheard of to not include a team with that good of a rating and 20+ wins, as Rutgers will have by the time the Big 10 tournament is over.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Beating the #9 team in the nation certainly helps. Let me go out on a limb and predict a first round loss in the NC tourney. Still have only 1 win out of their own gym.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:22 pm Beating the #9 team in the nation certainly helps. Let me go out on a limb and predict a first round loss in the NC tourney. Still have only 1 win out of their own gym.
Well, let's be honest, that's a weird stat you're pulling up. They played like what, one non-conference game on the road? So you're basically just saying they have one road win in the Big 10 this year. What you're also not saying is that they've been in every game they've lost on the road - the biggest margins of defeat since the New Year are an 8 point loss at Wisconsin and then two 6 point losses at Michigan and at Ohio State. If they were non-competitive in any of these games you might have a point, but they've been in every game and they didn't get to play the bottom feeders (if there are any) in the Big Ten on the road except for Nebraska (their win). When you play at Mich St, at Illinois, at Iowa, at Michigan, at Maryland, at Ohio St, at Wisconsin, and at Penn St, all 8 of which are currently ranked I think, I don't think anyone in the country can lay claim to a harder road schedule.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict they play an easier team in the first round than any of the teams they've played and lost to on the road this year.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:27 pm
vutomcat wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:22 pm Beating the #9 team in the nation certainly helps. Let me go out on a limb and predict a first round loss in the NC tourney. Still have only 1 win out of their own gym.
Well, let's be honest, that's a weird stat you're pulling up. They played like what, one non-conference game on the road? So you're basically just saying they have one road win in the Big 10 this year. What you're also not saying is that they've been in every game they've lost on the road - the biggest margins of defeat since the New Year are an 8 point loss at Wisconsin and then two 6 point losses at Michigan and at Ohio State. If they were non-competitive in any of these games you might have a point, but they've been in every game and they didn't get to play the bottom feeders (if there are any) in the Big Ten on the road except for Nebraska (their win). When you play at Mich St, at Illinois, at Iowa, at Michigan, at Maryland, at Ohio St, at Wisconsin, and at Penn St, all 8 of which are currently ranked I think, I don't think anyone in the country can lay claim to a harder road schedule.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict they play an easier team in the first round than any of the teams they've played and lost to on the road this year.
They lost to Pitt (113 on KenPom), at Pitt, so no that won't happen. But you make some good points about them staying in games against quality opponents.

Weird stat maybe, but factual. Like a lot of teams, they aren't the same without their home crowd's support. They still travel to Purdue next, so another opportunity for them to show they are capable. 1-10 is not good, no matter how you want to slice it. Losing 6 out of your last 9 games isn't good for your resume either. If they lose to Purdue Saturday that would be 7 of the last 10 and the tournament is in Indianapolis, so they're looking at another game out of their gym after that. I guess they will be like between a 7-10 seed at the Big 10 tournament? Lose that first game against another team on the bubble and you might just have played yourself out.

But, if like you say, it's just a weird stat, and they win at Purdue and get another win or two in the Big 10 tournament, it's another story.

Remember, we are talking Rutgers here.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:09 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:27 pm

They lost to Pitt (113 on KenPom), at Pitt, so no that won't happen. But you make some good points about them staying in games against quality opponents.

Weird stat maybe, but factual. Like a lot of teams, they aren't the same without their home crowd's support. They still travel to Purdue next, so another opportunity for them to show they are capable. 1-10 is not good, no matter how you want to slice it. Losing 6 out of your last 9 games isn't good for your resume either. If they lose to Purdue Saturday that would be 7 of the last 10 and the tournament is in Indianapolis, so they're looking at another game out of their gym after that. I guess they will be like between a 7-10 seed at the Big 10 tournament? Lose that first game against another team on the bubble and you might just have played yourself out.

But, if like you say, it's just a weird stat, and they win at Purdue and get another win or two in the Big 10 tournament, it's another story.

Remember, we are talking Rutgers here.
It would take the largest number of conference title upsets maybe ever to knock Rutgers out of the NCAA's now - they're getting in. What they do there is another story, but they've almost crossed into lock territory.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Quite a year for College Bball. Who would have predicted Dayton, San Diego State and Creighton to be top 10 programs.

Gotta believe there will be more upsets than usual. The teams look so evenly matched. Just throwing it out there. How many teams have a shot to win it all? Thoughts? Predictions?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

vutomcat wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:12 am Quite a year for College Bball. Who would have predicted Dayton, San Diego State and Creighton to be top 10 programs.

Gotta believe there will be more upsets than usual. The teams look so evenly matched. Just throwing it out there. How many teams have a shot to win it all? Thoughts? Predictions?
Just rattling a few of my head that could win:

Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Duke
Louisville
Florida
Kansas
SDSU
Dayton
Baylor
Gonzaga
Creighton
Villanova
Maryland

These hasn't been a dominate team.
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

tomcat, going through the channel guide last night I saw a special called Big East at 40. I assume you watch that with your pants down?
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am
vutomcat wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:12 am Quite a year for College Bball. Who would have predicted Dayton, San Diego State and Creighton to be top 10 programs.

Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Duke
Louisville
Florida
Kansas
SDSU
Dayton
Baylor
Gonzaga
Creighton
Villanova
Maryland

Crazy that many teams could win... and I would add Seton Hall, Houston, West Virginia and Michigan.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm Crazy that many teams could win... and I would add Seton Hall, Houston, West Virginia and Michigan.
That's a negative on Michigan. Maryland was super sloppy on Sunday and the game was never in doubt.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

vutomcat wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am

Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas
Duke
Louisville
Florida
Kansas
SDSU
Dayton
Baylor
Gonzaga
Creighton
Villanova
Maryland

Crazy that many teams could win... and I would add Seton Hall, Houston, West Virginia and Michigan.
Maybe add Seton Hall to the list. Other three I can't see winning 5 in a row.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Add yet another year Creighton has yet to win more than 1 NCAA tournament game.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

It only took a world wide virus to extend it. They were very likely to win one or two this year. And, from what I read and can see about next year, they might be a top 10 team.

Early predictions have Nova in 1 or two. Would be nice the see a fourth title come to the Main Line.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

CREIGHTON with another win in the tourney! How 'bout them Blue Jays!

Big East with two teams in the Sweet Sixteen but they now play the top two teams in the country in Baylor and Gonzaga. An upset in one of the games would be huge. Gonzaga did look human against Oklahoma though. Nova benefitted from an upset last round and North Texas really isn't a very good team. Baylor will be a big challenge. Threes will have to fall, foul shots made, and D has to be really solid.

Big 10 flop totally unexpected. Michigan will need to carry the torch again.

The Syracuse wins at the hand of Buddy Boeheim are something else. I saw the Cuse play a few games early and they looked overmatched.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Creighton got here by having UCSB miss a point blank layup that would've bounced them from the tourney. And then they got the benefit of playing a team that pulled a first round upset. Give them credit, they didn't lose to the teams they shouldn't lose to, and there are plenty of teams, especially Big 10 ones, that did, but the run ends with Gonzaga, a team they couldn't match up worse against. Same with nova unfortunately, Baylor is exactly the kind of team they don't want to play.

Syracuse is playing inspired ball, and yes, it's a departure from how they played most of the year. Loved that 'Cuse/West Virginia game, reminded me of the days when the Big East was THE conference in the country and how great those games were. I give Syracuse a fighter's chance against Houston, that's a game that a hot Buddy Boeheim can win. I think the real story, though, might be Loyola-Chicago - they might get back to the Final Four and it would be totally legit - they can play.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Loyola -Chicago is so fundamentally sound. The coach has done another amazing job.

If Buddy continues his streak the Cuse has a chance for another upset, I agree.

Let's see what the weekend brings. I am sure there will be a surprise or two. This tournament never disappoints.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Wow. Rutgers upset over Purdue at the RAC was totally unexpected. It is a tough venue though. It will be interesting to see if they are as poor on the road as last year, or if they are really improved.

Purdue, Gonzaga, UCLA, Kansas, Baylor are the best teams I have seen so far. Might be a short list of real contenders this year. Haven't seen Arizona.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

vutomcat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:26 am Wow. Rutgers upset over Purdue at the RAC was totally unexpected. It is a tough venue though. It will be interesting to see if they are as poor on the road as last year, or if they are really improved.

Purdue, Gonzaga, UCLA, Kansas, Baylor are the best teams I have seen so far. Might be a short list of real contenders this year. Haven't seen Arizona.
Next few weeks should give a good feel for Arizona:

At Illinois
At Tennessee
At UCLA
At USC

Plus a couple of should be easy home games
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:26 am Wow. Rutgers upset over Purdue at the RAC was totally unexpected. It is a tough venue though. It will be interesting to see if they are as poor on the road as last year, or if they are really improved.

Gotta put Duke in that list too, they did beat Gonzaga after all.

Agree with dback, we'll find out about Arizona one way or the other. Mathurin looks like the real deal, though, he's a stud.