College Hoops discussion
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by dal4018 »

Break up the RED STORM!!!!!! THEY BEAT VILLANOVA 79-75!!!!!!!!
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

vutomcat wrote:The Gonzaga game wasn't a game and you can't judge the rest of the conference by comparing them to the best team in the country.

The X and Seton Hall games will be challenging as well as the Butler and Creighton games on the road. It was great to see them run through the Big 5 again with such ease. If Spellman can protect the rim and provide some beef when we play top 10 teams we can make a pretty good run. In the meantime, I will be enjoying each game in the hibernation section of the season.

As far as viewership is concerned, the gap continues to close as the country gets used to tuning into FS1 and the Big East. I have every confidence ESPN numbers will continue to erode while the Big East numbers increase again this year. Don't enter any Math contests Gannon! :)

Call me Kreskin. Funny to wait a few months and re-read the posts and to see who knows something and who just trolls. Butler and Creighton are really tough places to play and are always a struggle.The Creighton game Saturday was one of the most exciting games of the year. What an amazing crowd and place to play.

Cats need to take care of business in the BE tourney and secure the EAST #1 seed. (Hope to avoid St. Johns.) Looking forward to going to Boston this year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
vutomcat wrote:The Gonzaga game wasn't a game and you can't judge the rest of the conference by comparing them to the best team in the country.

The X and Seton Hall games will be challenging as well as the Butler and Creighton games on the road. It was great to see them run through the Big 5 again with such ease. If Spellman can protect the rim and provide some beef when we play top 10 teams we can make a pretty good run. In the meantime, I will be enjoying each game in the hibernation section of the season.

As far as viewership is concerned, the gap continues to close as the country gets used to tuning into FS1 and the Big East. I have every confidence ESPN numbers will continue to erode while the Big East numbers increase again this year. Don't enter any Math contests Gannon! :)

Call me Kreskin. Funny to wait a few months and re-read the posts and to see who knows something and who just trolls. Butler and Creighton are really tough places to play and are always a struggle.The Creighton game Saturday was one of the most exciting games of the year. What an amazing crowd and place to play.

Cats need to take care of business in the BE tourney and secure the EAST #1 seed. (Hope to avoid St. Johns.) Looking forward to going to Boston this year.
If nova doesn't improve their defense they're in for a short stay come March. It's not been a great two months for nova, granted, they've had injury issues. You'd like to see a team getting better as March approaches, but that's not been the case here for nova.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Odd game last night - Both the Hall and Nova couldn't shoot at all. Not sure it was the defense, but at least on paper it goes down as one of the best efforts all year. Improves their Kenpom figure too. Keeps the "not suffering two losses back to back" going. 176 straight games is a testament to how successful the program has been.

#1 in offense and top #25 for defense in Kenpom. Legit contender on paper.

Brunson has moved from facilitator first to look for my shot first. Didn't have any assists last night. Not good for a point guard. Omari Spellman is no Ochefu at this point in his career. Not as good a passer or rim protector. He can really shoot though. Lots of moving parts still but they still have some time to finish the product. Only two games back for Booth. They might need to get used to the old rotation again.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Time for my quarterly HAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING CRAYTON SUCKS post

Crayton not getting out of the first weekend. A tradition unlike any other
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Hey, look, the Big East, yet again, struggles to get out of the first weekend. Again, just one team making it to the Sweet Sixteen. Thankfully, it's hometown nova getting through. Yet again, the Big East comes up small as a conference when it comes to March. Talk about being like Kreskin. :rofl:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Fucking Creighton.....entirely the most over hyped and over loved team in NCAA history.

Endless resources. All the bravado of Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc...

Only 2 times in their entire history have they won more than 2 games in an NCAA tournament....both times it was because it was so long ago they played regional consolation games.

1961-1962 they won 2...one of them being a regional third place game. It got them exactly nothing.
1973-1974 they won 2...one of them being a regional third place game. It got them exactly nothing.

They've literally never won 2 games in a row in the NCAA tournament.

Since that 1974 tournament Creighton has qualified for 17 NCAA tournaments. In those 17 tournaments they are 6-17. Three of those six wins came with Doug McDermott on their roster.

In 14 trips without Doug they are 3-14

That's fucking pathetic. Fucking horrible. They are the definition of a paper tiger carried by some bullshit name that shouldn't have any actual weight behind it.

Pathetic little directional teachers college that didn't move D1 until 1981 - Northern Iowa - has more NCAA wins and S16s than Creighton in that time. Loyola - who replaced Creighton in the MVC - went 33 years between NCAA tournament bids and now has more S16s than Creighton.

I mean - holy fuck
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Nice to see St. John's and DePaul make some progress toward respectability this year. Good for the conference.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Nice to see St. John's and DePaul make some progress toward respectability this year. Good for the conference.
Actually, DePaul is taking a step back - #120 in Kenpom this year, last year DePaul was #99 in Kenpom. Of course, the conference as a whole was much better last year - 5 Big East teams were in the top 30 of Kenpom last year. This year there's just 2 Big East teams in the top 40 with nova, again, being the best team but coming in at #19. Off years for Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton, and especially Xaiver (nose-diving this year). Not a strong year for the Big East at all.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

It's more than a KenPom rating GF. Depaul ended last year with only 11 wins. They already have 11 wins this year as well as a nationally ranked recruiting class coming in next year. I think ESPN had them ranked at #17 overall.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:It's more than a KenPom rating GF. Depaul ended last year with only 11 wins. They already have 11 wins this year as well as a nationally ranked recruiting class coming in next year. I think ESPN had them ranked at #17 overall.
The Kenpom rating comes from actual data, not just hopes and dreams. DePaul this year played the 351st hardest DI non-conference basketball schedule this year. That's out of 353 D1 teams. That means only two teams in all of D1 played an easier non-conference schedule. That's how you get 11 wins, you beat up on MEAC teams (DePaul played 3 MEAC teams this year) and other bottom feeders like UIC, Chicago St, Incarnate Word, and Cleveland St. Couple that with the fact that the Big East is decidedly down versus last year (again, Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton are down and Xavier is way down) and that's why DePaul is rated a good deal lower this year than last year.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Did you check out their wins last year? IU Northwest , Delaware State, Portland, Youngstown State, Central Ct., UIC, Alabama A&M, Miami (OH not FL) , and 4 Big East games. They played the weakest non-conference schedule in the Big East last year as well.

This year they already have 3 Big East wins including a sweep of Seton Hall and a BIG 10 win.
Their SOS is 122 overall this year. Last year it was 124.

Their offense was pitiful last year. KenPom had them at 181. This year they are in top 100.

It wasn't lost on me that you ignored the excellent recruiting class either. I stand by my comment that DePaul has made some progress toward respectability this year. It is a fact, not a hope or dream.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Did you check out their wins last year? IU Northwest , Delaware State, Portland, Youngstown State, Central Ct., UIC, Alabama A&M, Miami (OH not FL) , and 4 Big East games. They played the weakest non-conference schedule in the Big East last year as well.

This year they already have 3 Big East wins including a sweep of Seton Hall and a BIG 10 win.
Their SOS is 122 overall this year. Last year it was 124.

Their offense was pitiful last year. KenPom had them at 181. This year they are in top 100.

It wasn't lost on me that you ignored the excellent recruiting class either. I stand by my comment that DePaul has made some progress toward respectability this year. It is a fact, not a hope or dream.
Great, the offense is better. Defense is in the tank though. They were a top 50 defense last year, now they are number 158. Listen, I don't know what to tell you, the metrics have them as a weaker team overall this year than last year. The metrics don't take into account the potential of a recruiting class that isn't even there yet, so maybe they will be better, eventually. It just isn't showing up this year.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Here’s a metric for you. They are 11-9 this year. A winning record. Last year they were 11-20.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Here’s a metric for you. They are 11-9 this year. A winning record. Last year they were 11-20.
That's cute. How novel of you. They have 12 wins now, and only 3 of those wins (all conference wins, btw, in another measure that the Big East is down this year versus last year) were against teams with winning records. But hey, the non conference schedule strength just moved up to 350 - now there are three teams in D1 who had easier schedules than DePaul. Progress as promised!!! :rofl:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Relax GF. No reason to be embarrassed. I didn't rub it in over the weekend because the point is moot. I'm used to being a good winner, but you are pressing it. Did you go to the annual Hen roasting this year by the football Cats?

As for St. John's, they may have a chance tonight against Marquette who is pointing to this weekend's big game with Nova. The only thing that gives me pause is the revenge factor, since St. John's won handily in the first game.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

As of now, only two teams (Nova and Marquette) have winning records in conference.
:thumb:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Good point. Two dominant teams again this year not too different from last year with X and Nova.

St John's completes the sweep of Marquette moving to 17-6 overall. 5-5 in conference. They are solidly in the tournament at this juncture.

Big game this weekend for Marquette and Nova. The winner will only have a short time to enjoy it though since they will probably square off two more times by the end of the year. With the Kansas, Michigan State and Marquette losses last night Nova has a chance to move back into the top 10.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Relax GF. No reason to be embarrassed. I didn't rub it in over the weekend because the point is moot. I'm used to being a good winner, but you are pressing it. Did you go to the annual Hen roasting this year by the football Cats?

As for St. John's, they may have a chance tonight against Marquette who is pointing to this weekend's big game with Nova. The only thing that gives me pause is the revenge factor, since St. John's won handily in the first game.
Winning? I'm still waiting for your prediction of Kris Dunn to be a superstar in the NBA comes to pass. Should be any decade now. :lol:

And yes, I did go to the football game this year. I'm glad you read about it in your alumni newsletter that just recently came out. If you ever need directions to the football stadium in Radnor just let me know and I'll forward you the google directions. :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Good point. Two dominant teams again this year not too different from last year with X and Nova.

St John's completes the sweep of Marquette moving to 17-6 overall. 5-5 in conference. They are solidly in the tournament at this juncture.

Big game this weekend for Marquette and Nova. The winner will only have a short time to enjoy it though since they will probably square off two more times by the end of the year. With the Kansas, Michigan State and Marquette losses last night Nova has a chance to move back into the top 10.
Well, other than the fact that last year Xavier and nova were #1 seeds, and this year Marquette and nova are tracking to be somewhere between #3 seeds or #5 seeds, and other than the fact that the Big East got 6 teams in last year and looks to maybe get 4 in this year, yes, not too different if we overlook those facts. Just about the same. :rofl:

St John's is projecting as a #10 or #11 seed, so yes, while they are projecting in at the moment, they don't have a lot of room for error. Need to finish the year strong and need to avoid an early exit in the Big East tourney.

As for nova, things picked up once they got into the conference schedule and things got easier. Not a lot of stellar defenses in the Big East this year so nova, who can fill the bucket pretty well, has had an easier time than they did in the non conference schedule. They still don't play very good defense, which is going to be their undoing in the tournament. They'll have to be hot offensively to make it out of the first weekend this year.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Your rant is silly. This thread right now is about the improvement of St. John's and DePaul which any knowledgeable fan would agree is undeniable. As far as Nova is concerned, if you think they haven't improved since earlier in the season and the reason for their winning streak is the conference, you are sadly mistaken. Which reminds me of a movie -----

As cousin Vinny said "I'm finished with this guy".
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Your rant is silly. This thread right now is about the improvement of St. John's and DePaul which any knowledgeable fan would agree is undeniable. As far as Nova is concerned, if you think they haven't improved since earlier in the season and the reason for their winning streak is the conference, you are sadly mistaken. Which reminds me of a movie -----

As cousin Vinny said "I'm finished with this guy".
Darn it, someone needs to tell Ken Pomeroy that he is not "knowledgeable" because vutomcat has deemed it so. :rofl:

As for nova, everybody is basically improved since the start of the season (barring injuries) normally, so yes, they are better. But they are still weak defensively and that's a problem, assuming you've been watching. Heck, I know you don't watch nova football games, but apparently you don't watch nova basketball games either.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

I’m a season ticket holder for both GF.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:I’m a season ticket holder for both GF.
Like I said, that just proves you don't watch nova football since even the season ticket holders don't show up. :rofl:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

This is too funny. DePaul wins again. Ken Pomeroy is a little slow but eventually he catches up.