Page 52 of 52

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am
by vutomcat
The Big East is the only conference that had all teams invited to a post season tournament. A good reflection on the improvement of the bottom of the conference. Four of the teams invited to the NCAA tourney. Xavier's new coach, Travis Steele looks like a good fit. His team's improvement toward the end of the year bodes well for that program (recruiting class 20) . Look for them to be near the top of the conference for years to come. Nova's incoming class (3 in nation) gives hope to another championship run in the next year or two. DePaul surprisingly has a top recruiting class as well.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 am
by GannonFan
You're touting the CBI now? For shame. You do realize that teams pay to be in that tournament, correct? Most teams don't even bother. At least DePaul has company in dipping down to play in the CBI as that rugged West Virginia team (12-19 on the year, 4-14 in Big 12 play) decided to write a check to keep playing too. First time there's been a team from the Power 5 or the Big East in that tournament since 2015.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 am
by vutomcat
Touting the Big East.

What tourney is Delaware playing in?

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am
by GannonFan
vutomcat wrote:Touting the Big East.

What tourney is Delaware playing in?


Does Delaware even play basketball? :rofl:

At least they're not burning money to play in a tournament like some young kids travel team.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 am
by GannonFan
One round and more than half of the Big East is homeward bound. 1-3 so far in the NCAA, 2-3 in the NIT, and 1-0 in the tournament where you pay to play. Purdue is a tough matchup for nova this year (nova has gotten better, but still isn't a great defensive team) so we'll see how that goes.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am
by dbackjon
vutomcat wrote:This is too funny. DePaul wins again. Ken Pomeroy is a little slow but eventually he catches up.



Big East so far:

NCAA tourney: 1-3 (only Nova wins)
NIT: 2-3 (Xavier and Creighton won)
CBI: 1-0 (DePaul)

Stellar performance so far!

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:08 am
by GannonFan
GannonFan wrote:One round and more than half of the Big East is homeward bound. 1-3 so far in the NCAA, 2-3 in the NIT, and 1-0 in the tournament where you pay to play. Purdue is a tough matchup for nova this year (nova has gotten better, but still isn't a great defensive team) so we'll see how that goes.


The fear was realized - nova was a bad defensive team to start the year, but once they got into the safety net of the new Big East it looked like they were getting better. Ended up being a mirage, though, as Purdue, granted, a good offensive team, did whatever they wanted to do for 40 minutes. nova has become feast or famine - only 2 out of 10 times this decade did nova reach the Sweet Sixteen - both in the title years. The titles are great, but the other 8 years of not getting out of the first weekend are a bit troubling too.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am
by vutomcat
Tough year for the conference. I agree. There were some bright spots, but overall, a disappointing year.

But, you don't really want to pretend this loss was troubling, do you? The loss was expected. Purdue was the favorite and the Cats just weren't one of the top 16 teams this year. Let's keep it real.

Jay's post season record is excellent. He has a couple years where his team was upset but, any troubling thoughts were totally dispelled after the TWO championships. He is 20-7 in the post season 2009-2019. I'm not going to do the searching, your troubled soul can do it, but there aren't many programs with that many wins from 2009 forward.

And, prior to that, the run in 2006 losing in the elite eight to the eventual champ Florida, the sweet 16 run in 2005 losing to NC by a point on a BS call. He has been extremely successful over a long period of time.

There are over 300 coaches in the NCAA's. Jay is on a very short list of the elite.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:45 pm
by GannonFan
vutomcat wrote:Tough year for the conference. I agree. There were some bright spots, but overall, a disappointing year.

But, you don't really want to pretend this loss was troubling, do you? The loss was expected. Purdue was the favorite and the Cats just weren't one of the top 16 teams this year. Let's keep it real.

Jay's post season record is excellent. He has a couple years where his team was upset but, any troubling thoughts were totally dispelled after the TWO championships. He is 20-7 in the post season 2009-2019. I'm not going to do the searching, your troubled soul can do it, but there aren't many programs with that many wins from 2009 forward.

And, prior to that, the run in 2006 losing in the elite eight to the eventual champ Florida, the sweet 16 run in 2005 losing to NC by a point on a BS call. He has been extremely successful over a long period of time.

There are over 300 coaches in the NCAA's. Jay is on a very short list of the elite.


I agree that the loss was expected, the severity of the loss though, you have to admit, was awful. That looked like the cats did in December when they got exposed by Penn. The defense was a glaring problem all year and the offense was too spotty. Booth was an issue with the spotty shooting so if someone can step in for him then losing him may not be as big of an issue as it could be.

As for Jay, of course he's secure in his job. He can retire from nova whenever he wants. There are still people that remember the disaster of the Lappas years so no one would ever want to go back to that again. But as good as Jay Wright is, and he's great, even the most rose-colored fan like yourself has to admit that a decade, 2010-2019, with just two Sweet 16 appearances (so 8 out of 10 years not making it to the Sweet 16) is less than what one would hope for such a secure program.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:08 am
by vutomcat
Lappas! Now there's a coach that couldn't win in the tournament. His team with Williams, Kittles, Lawson and Kornegay was as talented as any.

Makes you appreciate Rollie and Jay's successes. Good time to be a Villanovan. Now, if we can just get Ferrante to follow in Andy Talley's footsteps, things will be back to normal. The last two years have been very frustrating.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 am
by GannonFan
vutomcat wrote:Lappas! Now there's a coach that couldn't win in the tournament. His team with Williams, Kittles, Lawson and Kornegay was as talented as any.

Makes you appreciate Rollie and Jay's successes. Good time to be a Villanovan. Now, if we can just get Ferrante to follow in Andy Talley's footsteps, things will be back to normal. The last two years have been very frustrating.



Although truth be told, I only really remember Kittles showing up in that 3OT loss to ODU. Lawson was notorious for not showing up in big games.

As for Ferrante, apparently Talley was working magic because winning football at nova is apparently much harder than at first glance. Ferrante lost both his coordinators from last year so you have to figure he's the next to go if they don't win, and the end for him could even be as soon as this year.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 am
by vutomcat
Report: Rick Pitino Reached Out to St. John's About Head Coaching Job

Former Louisville coach Rick Pitino reportedly expressed interest in coaching St. John's if the head-coaching position was to open, according to the New York Post.

According to the Post, St. John's coach Chris Mullin has reportedly stepped down following a four-year stint at his alma mater. St. John's has yet to publicly make any statements regarding Mullin's status.

In the meantime, Pitino has presented a case as for why the the two-time national championship winner should be considered for St. John's potential opening.

Pitino reportedly told the New York Times' Adam Zagoria via text that he "would bring St. John's to the Elite level not seen since Louie (Lou Carnesecca) roamed the sidelines."

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:43 pm
by GannonFan
vutomcat wrote:Report: Rick Pitino Reached Out to St. John's About Head Coaching Job

Former Louisville coach Rick Pitino reportedly expressed interest in coaching St. John's if the head-coaching position was to open, according to the New York Post.

According to the Post, St. John's coach Chris Mullin has reportedly stepped down following a four-year stint at his alma mater. St. John's has yet to publicly make any statements regarding Mullin's status.

In the meantime, Pitino has presented a case as for why the the two-time national championship winner should be considered for St. John's potential opening.

Pitino reportedly told the New York Times' Adam Zagoria via text that he "would bring St. John's to the Elite level not seen since Louie (Lou Carnesecca) roamed the sidelines."


I'm sure Pitino would bring some success. He's also a piece of crap as a person so he'd be bringing that as well.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am
by UNI88
UConn coming home?
https://sports.yahoo.com/uconn-returnin ... 54658.html

UConn is back where it belongs.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 am
by vutomcat
Not totally sure this is all good news. UCONN has a different profile than the rest of the conference. But, my first thought was that it is good news. Certainly for Women's Bball it is.

It will be interesting to see how the TV money goes from here. I heard it might give the Big East an opportunity to re-negotiate with Fox though. The article pointed to a clause adding new members re-opens the negotiations.

They have outperformed their contract. Just look at the contract the AAC just signed as proof. A 12 year billion dollar contract makes the Big East's 12 year 500 million dollar contract look paltry.

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 am
by clenz
It's been far too long so.....


Fuck sCUm