College Hoops discussion
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Two DI universities prohibited from practicing BB

Post by JALMOND »

Portland State University and the University of Portland are the only two DI universities in the country that are currently not allowed by their state to have full basketball practices.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... s-sea.html

Oregon and Oregon State are both allowed to have full basketball practices as well as every other DI basketball program.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Re: Two DI universities prohibited from practicing BB

Post by JALMOND »

Per Oregon governor Kate Brown..."that exemption does not extend beyond the Pac-12 at this time"

Per KPTV in Portland...

https://www.kptv.com/news/psu-up-athlet ... a5902.html
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Jesus, that is pure bullshit. “Doesn’t extend past PAC-12”....There’s ZERO chance my team wouldn’t be practicing if I was the president of one of those two universities. FUCK that governor. It’s idiotic, haphazardly enforced dipshit rules like THIS that cause people across the country to just say, “fuck it’, I’m not complying”.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Oregon governor Kate Brown not backing down.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... tland.html

Just a note, Portland Stat4 is letting the University of Portland take the lead on this fight for fear that if they do speak out, they may lose state funding. Kate Brown is a very direct and vindictive person so any fears by PSU about that could hold some merit. UP is private so, while they do receive some state funding, it is definitely not on the same level as PSU.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

What's the rationale for allowing the PAC 12 schools in the state to have one set of rules and other colleges in the same state to have a different set of rules.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:47 am What's the rationale for allowing the PAC 12 schools in the state to have one set of rules and other colleges in the same state to have a different set of rules.
The rationale that was given was essentially that we have other, more important priorities ...
Here is where Governor Brown’s focus is: Getting kids back in schools who haven’t been in a classroom since last spring. Finding a way for families to safely visit the loved ones in long term care facilities they haven’t seen since early March. Making sure Oregonians who lost everything to wildfires have a warm place to call home before winter. Bringing case counts under control so that we can keep businesses open.
The reality IMO is that Kate Brown is focused on what makes Kate Brown look good and shutting down Oregon and Oregon State would have caused a sh!tstorm of protest. She doesn't think enough people care about PSU and UP so she doesn't care about PSU or UP or being even-handed in her approach to college athletics.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Talk on Portland sports talk radio today is both UP and PSU have "amended" their prior request to now allow them to play their games in the state of Oregon. This is gaining support among Oregon and Oregon State as both the Ducks and Beavers had scheduled non-conference games with the Vikings and Pilots, and if Kate Brown denies this, those games will not happen.

As stated on the talk show, Kate Brown is a lame-duck governor in a non-election year. She is trying to stay relevant.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Exemption granted to Portland and Portland State from the governor's office to practice basketball at the same level as the Pac-12.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... grams.html
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown now putting all college basketball programs in state at disadvantage
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown kicked up her game this week. She’s graduated from selectively distributing exemptions to putting every Division I basketball program in our state at a competitive disadvantage.
The Vikings remain in bureaucratic purgatory as of Monday and now the Ducks and Beavers are being sucked into the vortex, too.

Oregon’s previously scheduled men’s basketball game on Wednesday against Eastern Washington was postponed due to COVID-19. The Ducks are now trying to schedule the PSU men’s program for a game on Saturday, per a source. The Oregon State men’s program would like to play on Friday, per a source in Corvallis. The Vikings would like very much to play both of those games, but they’re not allowed until they’re cleared.
I’m sure you’ve made your mind up whether you think college basketball is a priority or not. It’s certainly not more important than available hospital beds and flattening the rate of infection. But if you’re among those who believe that college athletes are much safer when subject to contact tracing, daily testing and strict protocols, you’re likely puzzled by the Governor’s incongruent stance.
Oregon and OSU find themselves wondering if they’ll have to travel outside the state next weekend to find a men’s college basketball game. Or maybe import a team from California, Washington, Arizona, Montana or Idaho or someplace else.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

New Mexico teams are in the same boat. New Mexico State is practicing in Phoenix right now.

Of course, with dozens of games already cancelled, who knows how many games will be played in the next month
:thumb:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Oregon governor would rather arrest people for not wearing masks than to clear the PSU basketball team for practicing.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/11/13/ ... trictions/