Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Hey, DJH....

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:So, all THOSE guys were overpriced, but Mauer is just fine at $23,000,000?

:rofl: :ohno:
People come to games in droves, buying Mauer merchandise from the Pro Shops. Mauer pennants, bats, jersey's, even Mauer sideburns. You see more young ladies with Mauer jersey's than any other player. Mauer/Morneau bobblehead night this Friday, it should be a packed house. The hometown guy has paid great dividends off the field and is a decent player on the field. If it's just his on field results, of course he is overpaid, but is hometown is helping support the salary.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:So, all THOSE guys were overpriced, but Mauer is just fine at $23,000,000?

:rofl: :ohno:
People come to games in droves, buying Mauer merchandise from the Pro Shops. Mauer pennants, bats, jersey's, even Mauer sideburns. You see more young ladies with Mauer jersey's than any other player. Mauer/Morneau bobblehead night this Friday, it should be a packed house. The hometown guy has paid great dividends off the field and is a decent player on the field. If it's just his on field results, of course he is overpaid, but is hometown is helping support the salary.
Me thinks the "hometown" is tiring of losing.

2010 Attendance: 39,798
2011 Attendance: 39,113
2012 Attendance: 34,275

Uh oh...I sense a trend here....hmmm....wonder what 2013 is YTD?

2013 YTD Attendance: 31,062

That's a reduction of 8,736 fans PER GAME on average x $50 per fan (ticket & food) x 81 games = $35,380,080 in reduced revenue---PER YEAR---since they opened Target Field.

Yep, they're REALLY helping support his salary. :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Me thinks the "hometown" is tiring of losing.

2010 Attendance: 39,798
2011 Attendance: 39,113
2012 Attendance: 34,275

Uh oh...I sense a trend here....hmmm....wonder what 2013 is YTD?

2013 YTD Attendance: 31,062

That's a reduction of 8,736 fans PER GAME on average x $50 per fan (ticket & food) x 81 games = $35,380,080 in reduced revenue---PER YEAR---since they opened Target Field.

Yep, they're REALLY helping support his salary. :roll:
The novelty of the new stadium is wearing off, but next year the lure of All-Star game tickets will get the crowds back up again. Hometown thing has already paided off, with out Mauer, 5 figure attendence would be a good day.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: The novelty of the new stadium is wearing off, but next year the lure of All-Star game tickets will get the crowds back up again. Hometown thing has already paided off, with out Mauer, 5 figure attendence would be a good day.
All Star game = one-year gimmick.

Without Mauer, WINNING would probably improve attendance. It ain't rocket science, Gil. Just look at their history. This is a team that won six division titles in a nine-year span not too long ago. This is a team that won 94 games in 2010. This is a team that drew over 37,000 per game in the shithole known as the Metrodome after winning the World Series in 1987.

Mauer is single-handedly driving a stake into the franchise. Hope he sleeps well at night cashing that blood-money check. :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote: The novelty of the new stadium is wearing off, but next year the lure of All-Star game tickets will get the crowds back up again. Hometown thing has already paided off, with out Mauer, 5 figure attendence would be a good day.

Without Mauer, WINNING would probably improve attendance. It ain't rocket science, Gil. Just look at their history. This is a team that won six division titles in a nine-year span not too long ago. This is a team that won 94 games in 2010. This is a team that drew over 37,000 per game in the shithole known as the Metrodome after winning the World Series in 1987.

Mauer is single-handedly driving a stake into the franchise. Hope he sleeps well at night cashing that blood-money check. :coffee:
Twins have been in the post-season 3 times with Mauer. They have the money, they just haven't spent it. Twins made a lot of money during Mauer's early years too, before the big contract.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Twins have been in the post-season 3 times with Mauer. They have the money, they just haven't spent it. Twins made a lot of money during Mauer's early years too, before the big contract.
Twins have not been in the post season since they paid Mauer. Oh, and Revenue is down $35,000,000 from that last year they signed him to the huge contract. Coincidence? I think not...
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Twins have not been in the post season since they paid Mauer. Oh, and Revenue is down $35,000,000 from that last year they signed him to the huge contract. Coincidence? I think not...
Doesn't take a banker to figure that out.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
But apparently it escapes the morons running the Twins.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
But apparently it escapes the morons running the Twins.
It's the same morons that won 6 of 9 titles. Bill Smith era, at the end of the 6 for 9 was when Mauer was signed, a lot of talent was traded away, and led to today's debacle. Terry Ryan, who got the Twins setup for those titles, is back in charge and has traded for a lot of young players that will be showing up in the next few years. Twins would be chasing 120 losses if Smith was in charge.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The Twins aren't hurting for money....

The Twins have been hurting for a GM who wants to spend that money on multiple players.

That ain't on Joe.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: But apparently it escapes the morons running the Twins.
It's the same morons that won 6 of 9 titles. Bill Smith era, at the end of the 6 for 9 was when Mauer was signed, a lot of talent was traded away, and led to today's debacle. Terry Ryan, who got the Twins setup for those titles, is back in charge and has traded for a lot of young players that will be showing up in the next few years. Twins would be chasing 120 losses if Smith was in charge.
In the next couple years Joe Mauer will be a shell of his former self and STILL making $23,000,000 per year.

Then what?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
In the next couple years Joe Mauer will be a shell of his former self and STILL making $23,000,000 per year.

Then what?
Twins payroll will go up and down with the other players salaries. We will see how good of a GM Terry Ryan is.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Then what?
Twins payroll will go up and down with the other players salaries. We will see how good of a GM Terry Ryan is.
Jesus Christ himself couldn't field a winning team with that much money locked up in one player...unless he's given an open checkbook like Cashman had/has in NY.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Jesus Christ himself couldn't field a winning team with that much money locked up in one player...unless he's given an open checkbook like Cashman had/has in NY.
Mauer has been referred to as the "Baby Jesus" by the local media. :lol:

"Jesus, I like Jesus"
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Re: Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

Post by DJH »

dbackjon wrote:SS: J.J. Hardy, Orioles - was not able to be resigned at end of 2010 because of Mauer contract
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox - stupidly traded long before Mauer

RHP: Grant Balfour %, A's - long since gone
RHP: Jesse Crain *, White Sox - why is he an All-star?
RHP: Joe Nathan, Rangers - was not able to be resigned at end of 2011 because of Mauer contract

OF: Torii Hunter, Tigers - not resigned after in 2007

National League

Reserves
OF: Michael Cuddyer, Rockies - was not able to be resigned at end of 2011 because of Mauer contract
OF: Carlos Gomez, Brewers - traded for Hardy, who they had to let go because of Mauer contract
What a load of shit. Not factual at ALL.
UNI FIGHT
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

AZ continues to expose himself as a sports retard. Its been fun to watch.
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:
dbackjon wrote:SS: J.J. Hardy, Orioles - was not able to be resigned at end of 2010 because of Mauer contract
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox - stupidly traded long before Mauer

RHP: Grant Balfour %, A's - long since gone
RHP: Jesse Crain *, White Sox - why is he an All-star?
RHP: Joe Nathan, Rangers - was not able to be resigned at end of 2011 because of Mauer contract

OF: Torii Hunter, Tigers - not resigned after in 2007

National League

Reserves
OF: Michael Cuddyer, Rockies - was not able to be resigned at end of 2011 because of Mauer contract
OF: Carlos Gomez, Brewers - traded for Hardy, who they had to let go because of Mauer contract
What a load of shit. Not factual at ALL.
I agree. Only Ortiz really deserved to be an all star.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:AZ continues to expose himself as a sports retard. Its been fun to watch.
The retard is the guy who signed Mauer to that fat contract. :nod: :nod:
Enjoy last place for the forseeable future. :dunce:
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

I'll chime in...the sports retards are those that think paying a singles-hitting catcher with no other elite skills $23M per year is feasible when your team is as tight-fisted as they come. I'm a Yankees fan, so I know shitty contracts when I see one. That Mauer one ranks right up there with A-Rod's in my mind, but at least Mauer can still play a little.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

rkwittem wrote:I'll chime in...the sports retards are those that think paying a singles-hitting catcher with no other elite skills $23M per year is feasible when your team is as tight-fisted as they come. I'm a Yankees fan, so I know shitty contracts when I see one. That Mauer one ranks right up there with A-Rod's in my mind, but at least Mauer can still play a little.
To start off, I'm not even a Twins fan, but as a fan of one of their division rivals, it's humorous to see people bashing them for where they are today in the standings, and blaming the Mauer contract. These are the same lowly Twins that just won 2 out of 3 in Yankee Stadium, and after Mauer's game winning hit last night, have a 3 game winning streak. Sure the Mauer contract isn't the best bang for the buck, but they don't need to spend money to get back to the top. They didn't spend money to get there in the early 2000's either. Bill Smith took them down with his dealings, but Terry Ryan, the architect of the 10 year run in the first part of the 21st century is back as GM. It will be a couple years, but the Twins have some pretty good players in the minor's. Talked to a friend of mine at the Twins game last night. He used to be a MLB scout. He watches a lot of minor league ball in Florida, and says Sano, Buxton and Meyer (6'9" pitcher), are going to be good.

Mauer's contract isn't even close to the bad A-Rod contract. Let start with public perceptions where a-rod is very low, and should be banned permanently from baseball for cheating, and that helped his team win games. Mauer is the clean cut all-american kid that get's bashed for not hitting 30 home runs per year. Mauer, will be 35 when his contract ends, A-roid was over-the-hill when he signed the contract.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
rkwittem wrote:I'll chime in...the sports retards are those that think paying a singles-hitting catcher with no other elite skills $23M per year is feasible when your team is as tight-fisted as they come. I'm a Yankees fan, so I know shitty contracts when I see one. That Mauer one ranks right up there with A-Rod's in my mind, but at least Mauer can still play a little.
To start off, I'm not even a Twins fan, but as a fan of one of their division rivals, it's humorous to see people bashing them for where they are today in the standings, and blaming the Mauer contract. These are the same lowly Twins that just won 2 out of 3 in Yankee Stadium, and after Mauer's game winning hit last night, have a 3 game winning streak. Sure the Mauer contract isn't the best bang for the buck, but they don't need to spend money to get back to the top. They didn't spend money to get there in the early 2000's either. Bill Smith took them down with his dealings, but Terry Ryan, the architect of the 10 year run in the first part of the 21st century is back as GM. It will be a couple years, but the Twins have some pretty good players in the minor's. Talked to a friend of mine at the Twins game last night. He used to be a MLB scout. He watches a lot of minor league ball in Florida, and says Sano, Buxton and Meyer (6'9" pitcher), are going to be good.

Mauer's contract isn't even close to the bad A-Rod contract. Let start with public perceptions where a-rod is very low, and should be banned permanently from baseball for cheating, and that helped his team win games. Mauer is the clean cut all-american kid that get's bashed for not hitting 30 home runs per year. Mauer, will be 35 when his contract ends, A-roid was over-the-hill when he signed the contract.
That is some funny shit right there.

a) The Twins suck, even after taking 2 of 3 from the Yankees. Have you SEEN the Yankees DL list lately? The Twins are 3-12 in their last 15.
b) Kitten wasn't comparing personalities, he was comparing CONTRACTS. And Mauer's contract sucks, just like A-Roid's did for the Rangers. Is it coincidence that the Rangers got good a few years AFTER getting rid of that albatross? I think not.

If Mauer wants to earn that contract perhaps he should find out who A-Roid's doctor was. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: That is some funny **** right there.

a) The Twins suck, even after taking 2 of 3 from the Yankees. Have you SEEN the Yankees DL list lately? The Twins are 3-12 in their last 15.
b) Kitten wasn't comparing personalities, he was comparing CONTRACTS. And Mauer's contract sucks, just like A-Roid's did for the Rangers. Is it coincidence that the Rangers got good a few years AFTER getting rid of that albatross? I think not.

If Mauer wants to earn that contract perhaps he should find out who A-Roid's doctor was. :coffee:
You are having a D1Bachmann moment today. Twins suck, but they beat the Yankees is the point. Mauer and A-Roid's contracts suck, but Mauer will still be playing at the end.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: That is some funny **** right there.

You are having a D1Bachmann moment today. Twins suck, but they beat the Yankees is the point. Mauer and A-Roid's contracts suck, but Mauer will still be playing at the end.
So what? They beat the Yankees? Nobody expects the Twinkies to go 0-162...they're going to win some games, whether by luck or by actually playing halfway decent. And trying to make Mauer's contract look good by comparing it to ANOTHER shitty decision is just foolish.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: You are having a D1Bachmann moment today. Twins suck, but they beat the Yankees is the point. Mauer and A-Roid's contracts suck, but Mauer will still be playing at the end.
So what? They beat the Yankees? Nobody expects the Twinkies to go 0-162...they're going to win some games, whether by luck or by actually playing halfway decent. And trying to make Mauer's contract look good by comparing it to ANOTHER shitty decision is just foolish.[/quote]

Witten made the initial comparison. Even Mauer's, as bad as it is, isn't close to as bad as A-Roids.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
So what? They beat the Yankees? Nobody expects the Twinkies to go 0-162...they're going to win some games, whether by luck or by actually playing halfway decent. And trying to make Mauer's contract look good by comparing it to ANOTHER shitty decision is just foolish.
Witten brought up he was a Yankees fan, so that was directed at him, sorry I didn't know you were a closet Yankees fan. :kisswink: