Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
So what? They beat the Yankees? Nobody expects the Twinkies to go 0-162...they're going to win some games, whether by luck or by actually playing halfway decent. And trying to make Mauer's contract look good by comparing it to ANOTHER shitty decision is just foolish.
Witten brought up he was a Yankees fan, so that was directed at him, sorry I didn't know you were a closet Yankees fan. :kisswink:
Yeah, I'm a yankmees fan. :lol: :lol: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Witten brought up he was a Yankees fan, so that was directed at him, sorry I didn't know you were a closet Yankees fan. :kisswink:
Yeah, I'm the Pride of the Yankees :nod:
FIFY
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mauer's Value

Strib Link
Everytime I write something nice or even neutral on Joe Mauer, I get emails. Oh, I get emails. Mostly from people telling me he's overpaid.

Well, if he is overpaid, it's not by much.

There are two ways of assessing a veteran player's monetary value. One is anecdotal. Talk to people in the game. They said Mauer would have made a killing as a free agent had he become one. Can you imagine what the Red Sox would have paid for a potential Hall of Fame catcher in his prime with a swing that might produce 50 doubles a year off the Green Monster, and who would constantly be on base in front of their sluggers? Probably $25 million a year. And all quality free agents end up being paid more than their actual value, because the bidding becomes a competition between super powers.

So Mauer is certainly worth $23 million anecdotally.

In terms of statistical valuation, I always turn to the great site Fangraphs.com, which calculates the obective value of a player.

Here is how Fangraphs values Mauer, year by year, since 2006: $23.1 million, $12.7 million, $26.6 million, $34.5 million, $21 million, $6.1 million and $21.2 million. This year, he is valued, so far, at $21.5 million.

Obviously, when he doesn't stay on the field, he's not worth the money, which is why 2011 was such an abomination.

When he is on the field, he's worth about what the Twins are paying him. Factor in that the Twins signed him in part to keep his contract status from ruining the opening season at Target Field, and he was an incredible bargain from 2006 through 2009, and the Twins and their fans have little to complain about other than the mystery ailments of 2011.

Mauer's real problem is he plays for a bad team. He doesn't have people on base ahead of him, and he doesn't have people who can drive him in batting behind him. He's not as valuable as Miguel Cabrera, but he's more valuable than the great majority of players with big-money contracts.

He's also the Twins' only above-average position player. He's not the guy you should be complaining about.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:Mauer's Value

Strib Link
Everytime I write something nice or even neutral on Joe Mauer, I get emails. Oh, I get emails. Mostly from people telling me he's overpaid.

Well, if he is overpaid, it's not by much.

There are two ways of assessing a veteran player's monetary value. One is anecdotal. Talk to people in the game. They said Mauer would have made a killing as a free agent had he become one. Can you imagine what the Red Sox would have paid for a potential Hall of Fame catcher in his prime with a swing that might produce 50 doubles a year off the Green Monster, and who would constantly be on base in front of their sluggers? Probably $25 million a year. And all quality free agents end up being paid more than their actual value, because the bidding becomes a competition between super powers.

So Mauer is certainly worth $23 million anecdotally.

In terms of statistical valuation, I always turn to the great site Fangraphs.com, which calculates the obective value of a player.

Here is how Fangraphs values Mauer, year by year, since 2006: $23.1 million, $12.7 million, $26.6 million, $34.5 million, $21 million, $6.1 million and $21.2 million. This year, he is valued, so far, at $21.5 million.

Obviously, when he doesn't stay on the field, he's not worth the money, which is why 2011 was such an abomination.

When he is on the field, he's worth about what the Twins are paying him. Factor in that the Twins signed him in part to keep his contract status from ruining the opening season at Target Field, and he was an incredible bargain from 2006 through 2009, and the Twins and their fans have little to complain about other than the mystery ailments of 2011.

Mauer's real problem is he plays for a bad team. He doesn't have people on base ahead of him, and he doesn't have people who can drive him in batting behind him. He's not as valuable as Miguel Cabrera, but he's more valuable than the great majority of players with big-money contracts.

He's also the Twins' only above-average position player. He's not the guy you should be complaining about.
Yeah. THERE'S an objective source. :rofl: :rofl:

Listen: Any time ONE player takes up 30% of a team's payroll, of COURSE he's going to play for a bad team. He's overpaid simply because they refuse to pay anyone ELSE to play along side of him. Example: The Twinkies have TWO players making over $10,000,000....Mauer and Morneau. And they're both WAY over $10,000,000, at $23 mil and $15 mil respectively. That's $38 million of a $75 million salary figure. Because of the limitations this puts on the team's flexibility, their NEXT highest paid player makes just $4.5 million, and they have NINE guys on the team making the league minimum. This translates into a 45-58 record, the 5th worst in baseball. Conversely, the Arizona Diamondbacks' two highest paid players make $20 million COMBINED, allowing them to put better players overall on the field by signing guys like Jason Kubel, Eric Chavez, Aaron Hill, etc. They have SIX guys on the roster making between $4 mil and $10 mil...more $$ buys better players. This translates into a record of 54-52, and a team that has spent the better part of the season in first place in the NL West.

It's like the Twins tried to pretend they're the NY Yankees with Mauer and Morneau, and they're the Miami Marlins with everybody else. That ain't gonna work.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

That's not Mauers fault.

The Twins have more than enough money to spend over 120 million per year on the team...they haven't had a GM to do that.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:That's not Mauers fault.

The Twins have more than enough money to spend over 120 million per year on the team...they haven't had a GM to do that.
Don't get me wrong: If I were Joe Mauer and some stupid GM was willing to give ME $23 mil on the basis of one decent season I'd do it too....but the fact they don't spend money on anybody else doesn't make Mauer's contract make sense. And certainly not with his production SINCE he signed that contract.

I'm PRETTY sure they Twins could have the 5th worst record in baseball WITHOUT paying Mauer $23 mil a year to do it.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote:
I'm PRETTY sure they Twins could have the 5th worst record in baseball WITHOUT paying Mauer $23 mil a year to do it.
This line completely invalidates everyone of your arguments thus far. How is it Mauer's fault that the Twins are terrible, if they are terrible no matter what he is paid?

The Pohlad family is one of the richest in baseball, and they are willing to spend the money.

The GM has to take advantage of that. The last one did't. We'll see what happens with Ryan back in charge
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

clenz wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
This line completely invalidates everyone of your arguments thus far. How is it Mauer's fault that the Twins are terrible, if they are terrible no matter what he is paid?

The Pohlad family is one of the richest in baseball, and they are willing to spend the money.

The GM has to take advantage of that. The last one did't. We'll see what happens with Ryan back in charge
Prospects List

Twins have 2 of the top 10 prospects to start with.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Gil Dobie wrote:
clenz wrote: This line completely invalidates everyone of your arguments thus far. How is it Mauer's fault that the Twins are terrible, if they are terrible no matter what he is paid?

Prospects List

I'm excited with the prospects that we have. Hopefully during the offseason Ryan goes after some help. The Twins need A LOT of help but picking up 2-3 solid pitchers and a couple position players will help.

I figure it's going to be 3 more years of suckage before they are back to competing for a top 3 finish in the division and probably 5 for a title.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Seriously? You don't understand the reference? They're paying him $23 million yet suck as a team, and will for the forseeable future. They could just save the $23 mil and go the Marlins route, or spend another $30-$40 mil and actually field a competitive team. They choose to do neither.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Prospects List

I'm excited with the prospects that we have. Hopefully during the offseason Ryan goes after some help. The Twins need A LOT of help but picking up 2-3 solid pitchers and a couple position players will help.

I figure it's going to be 3 more years of suckage before they are back to competing for a top 3 finish in the division and probably 5 for a title.
And how old will Mauer and Morneau be then? :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
clenz wrote: I'm excited with the prospects that we have. Hopefully during the offseason Ryan goes after some help. The Twins need A LOT of help but picking up 2-3 solid pitchers and a couple position players will help.

And how old will Mauer and Morneau be then? :coffee:
If Morneau had not slumpled, he would be gone as of yesterday. Mauer will be mid 30's, 33-35.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

By the way, Mauer had his wife are proud parents of actual Twins, born July 24th.
Fraternal twin daughters Emily Teresa and Maren Virginia.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:By the way, Mauer had his wife are proud parents of actual Twins, born July 24th.
Good for him. :thumb:

REALLY good for him. :notworthy: :notworthy:
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

Gil Dobie wrote:By the way, Mauer had his wife are proud parents of actual Twins, born July 24th.
:whocares:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

As of today, the Minnesota Twins have a better record than the defending World Champion SF Giants. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:As of today, the Minnesota Twins have a better record than the defending World Champion SF Giants. :lol:
:lol:

Well if THAT doesn't make the Mauer contract worth it, I don't know what would. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Meet Joe Mauer's future replacement behind the plate

Josmil Pinto
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

They better hurry. It looks like Mauer has run out of gas.

He just hit his first HR since June 22nd, and is batting a robust .206 for the month of August.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:They better hurry. It looks like Mauer has run out of gas.

He just hit his first HR since June 22nd, and is batting a robust .206 for the month of August.
Mauer is a top 20 player if you go by WAR, #1 for catchers. :coffee:
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

5 hits today.
UNI FIGHT
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

AZGrizFan wrote:
clenz wrote:That's not Mauers fault.

Don't get me wrong: If I were Joe Mauer and some stupid GM was willing to give ME $23 mil on the basis of one decent season I'd do it too....but the fact they don't spend money on anybody else doesn't make Mauer's contract make sense. And certainly not with his production SINCE he signed that contract.

"One good season."

lolololol
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:5 hits today.
Even a clock is right twice a day, DJ.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote:
clenz wrote: This line completely invalidates everyone of your arguments thus far. How is it Mauer's fault that the Twins are terrible, if they are terrible no matter what he is paid?

Prospects List

Buxton and Sano are inset on the cover of this weeks SI. Story tells of how Buxton threw a football 83 yards in high school, in front of scouts, just to show-off his arm strength.