2018 Golf Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Golf Thread

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
89Hen wrote: In 20 minutes you can watch the end of it live. :nod:
Hope you were watching. Today's coverage won't be on your DVR.
Why not? You should always add extra time for a live event. Heck, I add a whole hour to the end of a taping if I'm recording an NBA game. Golf should be no different.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Most of the stories on the ESPN golf page are about Tiger Woods.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Hope you were watching. Today's coverage won't be on your DVR.
Why not? You should always add extra time for a live event. Heck, I add a whole hour to the end of a taping if I'm recording an NBA game. Golf should be no different.
Me too, but I'm guessing the playoff was postponed until this morning due to darkness and I'm also guessing my DVR isn't smart enough to pick it back up the next day.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Hope you were watching. Today's coverage won't be on your DVR.
You would have had to add 15.5 hours AND it switched channels anyway. It was on CBS but the playoff moved to the Golf Channel. They played until dark last night and had to come back this morning to finish.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
You would have had to add 15.5 hours AND it switched channels anyway. It was on CBS but the playoff moved to the Golf Channel. They played until dark last night and had to come back this morning to finish.
Day(light) FTW. :lol: :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Most major providers have a mobile app that allows you to program your DVR from your phone.

Welcome to 2018, dipshits.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:Most major providers have a mobile app that allows you to program your DVR from your phone.

Yes, it's a nice feature these days. I can literally talk to my TiVo at home in about 5 seconds.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:Most major providers have a mobile app that allows you to program your DVR from your phone.

Yes, it's a nice feature these days. I can literally talk to my TiVo at home in about 5 seconds.
I'm just catching up. I can finally control the thermostat from my phone, but haven't looked into connecting to the cable.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Golf - who wants to see players take four minutes trying to figure out a shot?
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:Golf - who wants to see players take four minutes trying to figure out a shot?
That's mostly the Europeans and Jordan Speith and it sucks.

But yeah, I'd much rather watch a manager walk out to the mound after the batter has already stepped away from the plate three times after he fouled off four pitches.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Golf - who wants to see players take four minutes trying to figure out a shot?

But yeah, I'd much rather watch a manager walk out to the mound after the batter has already stepped away from the plate three times after he fouled off four pitches.
I fully support limiting manager visits, pitching changes, and making the batter stay in the box the entire at-bat.

And add this clown:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jb-hol ... redictable
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:

I love baseball (always been my favorite sport), but at least golf has 50-70 other people on the course it can cut to and just go basically from shot to shot to shot....actually very LITTLE time spent consecutively on an individual golfer not named Tiger Woods (whose dick they suck even when HE sucks)...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Score a touchdown. Kick extra point. Cut to 3 minutes of commercials.
Kickoff. Cut to 3 minutes of commercials.
:ohno: :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

dbackjon wrote:
89Hen wrote: That's mostly the Europeans and Jordan Speith and it sucks.

I fully support limiting manager visits, pitching changes, and making the batter stay in the box the entire at-bat.

And add this clown:

I haven’t played in a PGA Section Major for a few years but it used to be :45 from the moment it’s your turn to play. First violation is a warning, second and subsequent violations were a $50 fine + penalty strokes.

That keeps you moving and something similar should be used on the tour. It takes me :12 once I’ve selected the club and I’m behind the ball ready to go.

Miss it quick!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

And add this clown:

I haven’t played in a PGA Section Major for a few years but it used to be :45 from the moment it’s your turn to play. First violation is a warning, second and subsequent violations were a $50 fine + penalty strokes.

That keeps you moving and something similar should be used on the tour. It takes me :12 once I’ve selected the club and I’m behind the ball ready to go.

Miss it quick!
This. I feel like the sooner I hit the next ball, the sooner I can forget about the previous shot. :lol:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

Miss it quick!
This. I feel like the sooner I hit the next ball, the sooner I can forget about the previous shot. :lol:

Or the sooner I can go look for my ball
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:Score a touchdown. Kick extra point. Cut to 3 minutes of commercials.
Someone did the math once....something on the order of 14-15 minutes of actual action in a 3-hour football game.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Score a touchdown. Kick extra point. Cut to 3 minutes of commercials.
Someone did the math once....something on the order of 14-15 minutes of actual action in a 3-hour football game.
11-12 minutes of action, according to the Wall Street Journal, in a 3.5 hour broadcast. An NBA game has 48 minutes of action and covers about 2.5 hours, and that doesn't include free throw shots.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:An NBA game has 48 minutes of action
Debatable.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:An NBA game has 48 minutes of action
Debatable.
Says the fan of the dump and chase league. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Debatable.
Says the fan of the dump and chase league. :lol:
Yes, the league that has several different penalties for delay of game, as opposed to a game that not only allows, but encourages a coach to call a time out when the play is getting too exciting. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Over the last four seasons, according to numbers compiled by Michael Beuoy, creator of the sports analytics website Inpredictable, the average length of the final two minutes in NBA playoff games was 9.3 minutes of real time, with the last minute taking 6.3 minutes.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... olumn.html
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Over the last four seasons, according to numbers compiled by Michael Beuoy, creator of the sports analytics website Inpredictable, the average length of the final two minutes in NBA playoff games was 9.3 minutes of real time, with the last minute taking 6.3 minutes.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... olumn.html
No matter how you look at it, it's still 48 minutes of action and generally takes 2.5 hours. Timeouts and commercials don't take time off the clock. And you get addition action during clock stoppage, when the players are shooting free throws.

Hockey has changed for the worse under Bettman, where basketball is adjusting and getting better since King David retired.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
No matter how you look at it, it's still 48 minutes of action and generally takes 2.5 hours. Timeouts and commercials don't take time off the clock. And you get addition action during clock stoppage, when the players are shooting free throws.

Hockey has changed for the worse under Bettman, where basketball is adjusting and getting better since King David retired.
How has it gotten worse?

The refs actually call embellishment penalties, delay of game penalties are called, the coach loses their time out if they lose a challenge (or take a minor penalty), there is a punishment for icing to discourage it, regular season OT is awesome with 3v3 format, no commercial breaks for playoff OT hockey...

NBA has too many time outs and too much referee interjection for my liking.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

How has it gotten worse?

The refs actually call embellishment penalties, delay of game penalties are called, the coach loses their time out if they lose a challenge (or take a minor penalty), there is a punishment for icing to discourage it, regular season OT is awesome with 3v3 format, no commercial breaks for playoff OT hockey...

NBA has too many time outs and too much referee interjection for my liking.
NBA is also cracking down on flopping.

It's the actual way the game is played today that has take away from the product. Bettman has brought the money and corporate atmosphere to the hockey arena's. Hockey was the last hurrah for a fans friendly sport before he took over. Used to be able to sit outside the arena and watch the players enter, and interact with them after the games. Seats against the glass were affordable for the average Joe. I still like hockey and there is more action in hockey than the NBA, 60 minutes. Getting back to the topic, I'll still watch golf over hockey though.