WORLD CUP 2010

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Re: WORLD CUP 2010

Post by YoUDeeMan »

It was hard watching the Netherland forwards fail to finish off opportunities. They had several wide open opportunities to blow the game open and, instead, looked very weak and uncommitted. I could not believe they didn't even try to get a shot off on some of those breakaways...WTF were they waiting for? :ohno:

Seriously, that will kill them if they miss those later.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Wow, nice curve on that goal by Ghana! Helluva nice way to end the half.

That said, F Ghana!
DukeJack
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU, NAU
A.K.A.: 08Duke

Post by DukeJack »

Gol gol golazo azo azo Forlan!

Uruguay ties on a brilliant free kick
DukeJack
Level2
Level2

Post by DukeJack »

And tied in extra time, Ghana is once again feigning injury.

These guys may be worse than the Salvadoreans
DukeJack
Level2
Level2

Post by DukeJack »

Crazy sequence with two Uruguayan goal-line clearances in the last minute of stoppage time ends with a red card to Saurez and a PK for Ghana which Gyan hits over the crossbar

PKs to decide who goes through to the semis - Uruguay wins 4-2 on PKs
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

DukeJack wrote:Crazy sequence with two Uruguayan goal-line clearances in the last minute of stoppage time ends with a red card to Saurez and a PK for Ghana which Gyan hits over the crossbar

PKs to decide who goes through to the semis - Uruguay wins 4-2 on PKs
Turns out to be a great play by Suarez, since Uruguay likely loses if Ghana scores there. Ghana really choked on the penalty kicks.

It looked like the Ghana goalie guessed on every attempt, while the Uruguayan goalie reacted to the shot.

Uruguay scores on 2 soft shots right down the middle, but the goalie had dived to his right so the middle was open.

Ghana takes 2 soft shots down the middle that are saved because the goalie waited for the shot before he moved.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SCHLAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :nod:
00bluehen
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by 00bluehen »

Anxiously awaiting the midfield battle between Schweinsteiger and Sneijder in the finals (though really is just a UCL replay). It's so great watching a team like Germany just keep their foot on the gas and not pass back and forth between centerbacks when up by 2. No delay tactics, no stalling...they just keep coming at you and will embarrass you.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Suck on that, Maradona, you greasy piece of shit. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:Suck on that, Maradona, you greasy piece of shit. :lol:
+1 :rofl:

Back to doing blow off of hookers' asses for him.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Germany v Spain should be a great semifinal, but I personally think Germany can only stop themselves at this point. :geek:

Oh, and how about those 3 European teams in the semis, Gannonfan? :lol: :twisted:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I spoke to a German consular official at a party last night who was predictably bullish about his team's chances for world domination, er, a world championship! 8-)

What does he think this is? 1938? :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Grizalltheway wrote:Group A: France, Mexico
Group B: Argentina, Nigeria
Group C: England, US
Group D: Germany, Australia
Group E: Nederland, Dänemark
Group F: Italy, Slovakia
Group G: Brasil, Ivory Coast
Group H: Spain, Switzerland

Round of 16:

France over Nigeria
Australia over England
Germany over US
Argentina over Mexico
Netherlands over Slovakia
Brasil over Switzerland
Denmark over Italy
Spain over Ivory Coast

Quarters:

Brasil beats Netherlands
Australia beats France
Germany beats Argentina
Spain beats Denmark

Semis:

Brasil beats Australia
Germany beats Spain

Final:

Germany beats Brasil on penalties. 8-)
Jesus, was I drunk, high, or both when I wrote these? :shock: :? :ohno: :rofl: :mrgreen: :notworthy:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gannonfan, your theory of European teams never performing well outside of Europe is officially bunk.
Saturday's results sent three of four European teams to the semifinals, which not only puts to bed the myth of South American dominance but also suggests it was only a convenient mirage that allowed commentators to herald a shift in the global game. For at least the 10th tournament running, the semifinals are dominated by European teams. In fact, to look at the final four teams going all the way back to 1970 is to see an established pattern of John Wooden-like supremacy. Only twice in 40 years has Europe had only two teams in the semis; the rest of the time, it was three alpha dogs or more, including an all-Euro final four in 1982 and 2006.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:coffee: :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:Germany v Spain should be a great semifinal, but I personally think Germany can only stop themselves at this point. :geek:

Oh, and how about those 3 European teams in the semis, Gannonfan? :lol: :twisted:
Well, if you remember my prior post, I said I was pulling and rooting for the Dutch and Germany to get here, so it's not like I'm all of a sudden broken up about that scenario coming true. :nod:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:Gannonfan, your theory of European teams never performing well outside of Europe is officially bunk.
Saturday's results sent three of four European teams to the semifinals, which not only puts to bed the myth of South American dominance but also suggests it was only a convenient mirage that allowed commentators to herald a shift in the global game. For at least the 10th tournament running, the semifinals are dominated by European teams. In fact, to look at the final four teams going all the way back to 1970 is to see an established pattern of John Wooden-like supremacy. Only twice in 40 years has Europe had only two teams in the semis; the rest of the time, it was three alpha dogs or more, including an all-Euro final four in 1982 and 2006.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eh, still doesn't change my opinion that Europe gets too many teams into the tournament. And what a difference a round makes here. Only having 3 European teams make the quarterfinals was one of the worst showing by Europe in decades, but now all of a sudden because those 3 European teams make the semis this is supposed to herald some era of European dominance? Please, that is bunk. Spain, Germany, and the Dutch looking good (especially the last two, who are actually two favorites of mine) doesn't erase the debacle that was France, that was Italy, that was England, that was Greece, and so on and so on. When Brazil was the only South American team dominating past tournaments it didn't mean the whole continent was good. And if Europe gets someone the title this time (and I'm rooting for that Dutch/German final) that doesn't hide the fact that many of the giants of Europe looked particularly average in this tournament, like they do whenever they need to leave the home continent.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Eh, still doesn't change my opinion that Europe gets too many teams into the tournament. And what a difference a round makes here. Only having 3 European teams make the quarterfinals was one of the worst showing by Europe in decades, but now all of a sudden because those 3 European teams make the semis this is supposed to herald some era of European dominance? Please, that is bunk. Spain, Germany, and the Dutch looking good (especially the last two, who are actually two favorites of mine) doesn't erase the debacle that was France, that was Italy, that was England, that was Greece, and so on and so on. When Brazil was the only South American team dominating past tournaments it didn't mean the whole continent was good. And if Europe gets someone the title this time (and I'm rooting for that Dutch/German final) that doesn't hide the fact that many of the giants of Europe looked particularly average in this tournament, like they do whenever they need to leave the home continent.
GF on the opposite side of the CAA arguement. ;)
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

You're German boys are done GATW....
Sorry Germany, the mystic mollusk has spoken

(Reuters) - Soccer fans across Germany will be hoping a "psychic" cephalopod's fabled skills of prophecy have failed him after Paul the octopus predicted a German loss in their World Cup semi-final with Spain.

With a 100 percent record so far, the British-born aquarium dweller at Sea Life in Oberhausen, western Germany has become a celebrity having correctly predicted a series of German wins and even Germany's surprise group stage loss to Serbia.

On Tuesday, Paul once again was given the choice of picking food from two different plastic containers lowered into his tank -- one decorated with a Spanish flag and one with a German flag.

The container which Paul opens first is seen as his pick.

He settled on both containers at first in a sign of hesitation before opening the box with the Spanish flag.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6651FI20100706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Eh, still doesn't change my opinion that Europe gets too many teams into the tournament. And what a difference a round makes here. Only having 3 European teams make the quarterfinals was one of the worst showing by Europe in decades, but now all of a sudden because those 3 European teams make the semis this is supposed to herald some era of European dominance? Please, that is bunk. Spain, Germany, and the Dutch looking good (especially the last two, who are actually two favorites of mine) doesn't erase the debacle that was France, that was Italy, that was England, that was Greece, and so on and so on. When Brazil was the only South American team dominating past tournaments it didn't mean the whole continent was good. And if Europe gets someone the title this time (and I'm rooting for that Dutch/German final) that doesn't hide the fact that many of the giants of Europe looked particularly average in this tournament, like they do whenever they need to leave the home continent.
GF on the opposite side of the CAA arguement. ;)
Not at all - the CAA's never had a debacle like what was seen with France, England, Italy, etc. When the CAA isn't good enough, they don't get extra teams in (i.e. 2006 with only getting two teams in). And when the CAA gets teams in, they can and have won on the road as well. Europe's been historically heavy on the homefield advantage (England in '66, France in '98, never winning outside of the continent until likely this year). No correlation between the two at all - if the CAA got Rhode Island into the tournament then we could start talking similarities. :rofl:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:Germany v Spain should be a great semifinal, but I personally think Germany can only stop themselves at this point. :geek:

Well, if you remember my prior post, I said I was pulling and rooting for the Dutch and Germany to get here, so it's not like I'm all of a sudden broken up about that scenario coming true. :nod:
You did, however, say that an all-European final "wasn't gonna happen", and now it's almost certain to . :coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:Gannonfan, your theory of European teams never performing well outside of Europe is officially bunk.

Eh, still doesn't change my opinion that Europe gets too many teams into the tournament. And what a difference a round makes here. Only having 3 European teams make the quarterfinals was one of the worst showing by Europe in decades, but now all of a sudden because those 3 European teams make the semis this is supposed to herald some era of European dominance? Please, that is bunk. Spain, Germany, and the Dutch looking good (especially the last two, who are actually two favorites of mine) doesn't erase the debacle that was France, that was Italy, that was England, that was Greece, and so on and so on. When Brazil was the only South American team dominating past tournaments it didn't mean the whole continent was good. And if Europe gets someone the title this time (and I'm rooting for that Dutch/German final) that doesn't hide the fact that many of the giants of Europe looked particularly average in this tournament, like they do whenever they need to leave the home continent.
Since when are France and England the giants of Europe? They historically underachieve, regardless of which continent the tournament is held on.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

GannonFan wrote: Spain, Germany, and the Dutch looking good (especially the last two, who are actually two favorites of mine)
Germany is looking great...but I don't think the dutch are looking all that good. Sure, they beat Brazil, but I'd take Brazil to win 8 out of 10 matches with the Dutch. Brazil imploded.

While I am rooting for the Dutch, I have not been impressed with the Dutch forwards...they blew multiple opportunities against Brazil. The one guy constantly drives down the right side and works to set up his left foot to the exclusion of anything else. I didn't think I'd see that limitation from a world class player.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

JMU DJ wrote:You're German boys are done GATW....
Sorry Germany, the mystic mollusk has spoken

(Reuters) - Soccer fans across Germany will be hoping a "psychic" cephalopod's fabled skills of prophecy have failed him after Paul the octopus predicted a German loss in their World Cup semi-final with Spain.

With a 100 percent record so far, the British-born aquarium dweller at Sea Life in Oberhausen, western Germany has become a celebrity having correctly predicted a series of German wins and even Germany's surprise group stage loss to Serbia.

On Tuesday, Paul once again was given the choice of picking food from two different plastic containers lowered into his tank -- one decorated with a Spanish flag and one with a German flag.

The container which Paul opens first is seen as his pick.

He settled on both containers at first in a sign of hesitation before opening the box with the Spanish flag.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6651FI20100706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That fucker doesn't know his ink hole from a hole in the ground. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Since when are France and England the giants of Europe? They historically underachieve, regardless of which continent the tournament is held on.
Well, outside of Germany and Italy, isn't every European side underacheivers? I mean, I love the Dutch, but they've got quite a history of great teams and classic flameouts. You've got England and France being historical underacheivers so no effort needed to convince you of that. And Spain is practically synonymous with underacheiving, maybe even more than the Dutch are. So that's two great teams out of a continent of

And remember, pot 1 of the World Cup draw had Spain, the Dutch, and England in it, so someone apparently felt good enough about those sides to include them in the top 7 of the world. And France making the final game in 2 of the last 3 World Cups certainly made them more successful of late than all but a tiny few in Europe.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:

Did you just not read the paragraph I quoted at all? :? I'm not sure how you can brush aside the fact that only TWICE in the last 40 years has Europe had fewer than three teams in the semis. Okay, South America had all of their teams make it to the knockout round. How have they fared since?