WORLD CUP 2010

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Re: 2010 World Cup rankings

Post by BlueHen86 »

bandl wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
I think France is about right. If it weren't for a handball they might not have even qualified for the WC, and then they completely sucked when they got there. Right now I don't know if they would beat any of the teams ranked ahead of them.

Brazil should be higher, maybe as high as third, but definetly ahead of Argentina.
Brazil was knocked out in the quarters, so their highest possible ranking would be #5.
The top 4 are self-explanatory based on final game and the third place game.
Ranks #5-#8 are quarterfinalists
Ranks #9-#16 are knockout finalists
Ranks #17-#32 are teams that didn't make it out of the group stage
Etc, etc. etc.
How does Argentina's 4-0 loss to the third place team place them ahead of Brazil, who only lost 2-1 to the second place team?
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

BlueHen86 wrote:
bandl wrote: Brazil was knocked out in the quarters, so their highest possible ranking would be #5.
The top 4 are self-explanatory based on final game and the third place game.
Ranks #5-#8 are quarterfinalists
Ranks #9-#16 are knockout finalists
Ranks #17-#32 are teams that didn't make it out of the group stage
Etc, etc. etc.
How does Argentina's 4-0 loss to the third place team place them ahead of Brazil, who only lost 2-1 to the second place team?
Dunno, I haven't looked into this too much. The article states Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition. To go a little further, it might be based on total goals throughout, goal differential, total wins/ties, etc. Not really that important to me after #1. I doubt the Dutch are happy being runner-up again. I doubt Uraguay is happy ending the tourney on two losses.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

bandl wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
Dunno, I haven't looked into this too much. The article states Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition. To go a little further, it might be based on total goals throughout, goal differential, total wins/ties, etc. Not really that important to me after #1. I doubt the Dutch are happy being runner-up again. I doubt Uraguay is happy ending the tourney on two losses.
I agree that the rankings are unimportant at this time since number 1 was just decided on the field, but the Argentina/Brazil ranking is a mystery to me.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

BlueHen86 wrote:
bandl wrote: Dunno, I haven't looked into this too much. The article states Fifa's rankings take into account group stage results, progress in the competition and the quality of opposition. To go a little further, it might be based on total goals throughout, goal differential, total wins/ties, etc. Not really that important to me after #1. I doubt the Dutch are happy being runner-up again. I doubt Uraguay is happy ending the tourney on two losses.
I agree that the rankings are unimportant at this time since number 1 was just decided on the field, but the Argentina/Brazil ranking is a mystery to me.
[*]
Just a guess...maybe it's total goals scored?
Argentina - 10
Brazil - 9

or goal differential?
Argentina - +2
Brazil - +1
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

bandl wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
[*]
Just a guess...maybe it's total goals scored?
Argentina - 10
Brazil - 9

or goal differential?
Argentina - +2
Brazil - +1
That seems like a good guess.
DukeJack
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: JMU, NAU
A.K.A.: 08Duke

Re: WORLD CUP 2010

Post by DukeJack »

Holy shit....
The Mali referee, at his debrief, where they got up and did a self analysis, referee agreed that he blew the call in the US game nullifying the goal. It turns out the referee saw a hold but immediately lost his concentration about who did the holding and called it against the wrong team!!
This is from a meeting in Culver City, CA with Peter Mikkelson who is a member of FIFA's Referee Committee. A transcript of sorts was mailed out to referees and someone posted it online. Some other gems:
With regard to goals, the referees got the decision correct 96.xx % of the time
The african referees also were not of the quality to be there either, however blatter is seeking reelection and africa is 60 votes so that is why they are there and doing games.
Webb had said in his debrief that he just did not see the challenge [boot to Alonso's chest] that way from his angle (and thought De Jong in fact was trying to protect himself)....But he knew something bad had happened so he cautioned De Jong.
The three emails:
http://listserv.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=i ... =0&P=13862
http://listserv.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=i ... =0&P=14570
http://listserv.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=i ... =0&P=17927

http://www.proreferee.com/article/5531
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Re: WORLD CUP 2010

Post by Rob Iola »

I'm tellin' ya, pro soccer is professional wrestling with a ball - and this coming from a huge soccer fan...
Proletarians of the world, unite!