Task Force to Study D-I Playoff Proposal

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Task Force to Study D-I Playoff Proposal

Post by EPJr »

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOzO ... gD8U60R300

I have been of the mind to do this like for years.
I would add the Cotton Bowl into the mix.
That way the BCS could rotate who would have the semi-final games (day/night double header at the same site) It be a football version of the final four.

If they had the system this year:
#1 Ohio State Vs. #8 Kansas In the Rose Bowl
#2 LSU Vs. #7 USC in the Sugar Bowl
#3 VA Tech Vs. #6 Missouri in the Orange Bowl
#4 Oklahoma Vs. #5 Georgia in the Cotton Bowl

Semi-Finals in the Fiesta Bowl
1:00pm Cotton Bowl winner Vs. Rose Bowl Winner
8:00pm Sugar Bowl winner Vs. Orange Bowl Winner
http://www.a10talk.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://twitter.com/atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Task Force to Study D-I Playoff Proposal

Post by SuperHornet »

That's still not enough teams to make it fair. I'd prefer 64, but it's gotta be at LEAST 16.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

64 teams? you want a 4 game regular season or something??
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Nah. Just start it early and eliminate the bye.

Actually, though, using last year's calendar as an example, one could start the season 9/1 with a 12-game/no bye or 11-game/1 bye season, or on 9/8 for an 11-game/no bye season. Assuming the abolition of conference title games (or replacing the bye with a conference title game), playoffs could start Thanksgiving weekend with a title game (including some extra days of hype) on 1/1.

This is doable. Will anyone go for it? Probably not.
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

64 teams, are you out of your mind?? That's more than half of 1-A, which means that you're inviting 6-6 teams or below to a playoff. Insanity! 6-6 teams don't belong in a bowl game, playoffs, or anywhere. They belong in mediocrity. I think 16 teams is perfect.. the worst you get is 8-3 and an occasional 7-4 team.. pretty high quality of play in those games.
ImageImageImageImageImage
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

You make a fairly decent point, Mr. T. However, it would have to be AT LEAST 16 to have some semblance of avoiding the controversy of who's getting shafted. Having the "snub" controversy strictly among the 8-3s and 7-4s of the world would be much better than seeing an undefeated or one-loss team get the boot.

BTW, did you hear about the D-III proposals? Apparently, there are now so many teams in D-III with more wanting to go in that they are not easily managed. Competing proposals would split D-III into III-A and III-AA or completely shove the lower-competing members into a completely new D-IV. How does that sound to you? Or would it be better to force those non-players into NAIA? Not sure that would work since the general consensus that I've seen puts NAIA roughly equivalent to D-II, or at least II.V. ;-)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

8 teams would work fine IF the first poll didn't come out until 10/1. That way teams that started the season "off the radar", if you will, would have a little bit better chance of being involved.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote:That's still not enough teams to make it fair. I'd prefer 64, but it's gotta be at LEAST 16.
8 teams is fine. If they're arguing about who the 9th best team is, I'm fine with that. When they're arguing about who's #2, then Houston, we have a problem. :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

shit I'd be happy with 8 it's better than the 2 we have now. If it was 16 then i figure the WAC, MWC, C-USA get auto-bids that's why I'd like 16.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Fresno St. Alum wrote:shit I'd be happy with 8 it's better than the 2 we have now. If it was 16 then i figure the WAC, MWC, C-USA get auto-bids that's why I'd like 16.
Seriously? That'd be like inviting the baseball AAA champs of the various leagues into the playoffs.....WAC MAYBE, but MWC and C-USA, I can't see happening in my lifetime....and even Boise State had lightening strike last year....they didn't seriously belong in any NC discussion.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:shit I'd be happy with 8 it's better than the 2 we have now. If it was 16 then i figure the WAC, MWC, C-USA get auto-bids that's why I'd like 16.
Seriously? That'd be like inviting the baseball AAA champs of the various leagues into the playoffs.....WAC MAYBE, but MWC and C-USA, I can't see happening in my lifetime....and even Boise State had lightening strike last year....they didn't seriously belong in any NC discussion.
Same could be said in basketball, most years. Mountain West is actually better overall than the WAC - remember Utah of a couple of years ago?

And honestly, this year, the difference between the MWC and the Big Least wasn't that great - not so much that you could automatically say the MWC, WAC are "AAA".
:thumb: