Julio Franco Returns

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
User avatar
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7630
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I am a fan of: elaware
Location: East Coast/Hawaii

Julio Franco Returns

Postby bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:20 am

to the Atlanta Braves!! 13 more months until he turns 50 years old.
Make Delaware Football Great Again

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51073
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AZGrizFan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:12 am

This guy is a FREAK. Plain and simple. :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 15640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby SuperHornet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:43 am

Forget Franco. I'd rather watch old footage of George Blanda. Playing to 48 in the NFL is MUCH more impressive than doing so in baseball.
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7630
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I am a fan of: elaware
Location: East Coast/Hawaii

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:05 pm

wasn't he just a punter at the end? Sean Landeta may keep doing that....
Make Delaware Football Great Again

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AppGuy04 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:06 pm

I think this is a dumb move by the Braves. Publicity stunt maybe, but not a smart baseball move

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51073
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AZGrizFan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:23 pm

SuperHornet wrote:Forget Franco. I'd rather watch old footage of George Blanda. Playing to 48 in the NFL is MUCH more impressive than doing so in baseball.


Yeah. I hear ya. 48 year-olds in baseball are a fricking dime a dozen, right? :roll: :roll:

If it was that easy they'd ALL be doing it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 15640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby SuperHornet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:53 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:wasn't he just a punter at the end? Sean Landeta may keep doing that....


Blanda never punted. He was a place-kicker. Sure, that's all he did the last couple of years, but he was always listed as a QB-K. In fact, in something like '70 or '71, he came off the bench for an ineffective "Mad Bomber" Daryle Lamonica to lead the Raiders to a win or a tie with either a TD pass or a long FG. He was somewhere around 45 when he did this. And all this after getting blackballed by George Halas.
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

User avatar
lifesapuntreturn
Level1
Level1
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:25 pm
I am a fan of: Montana State University
Location: USA (Unfettered Socialism Abounds)

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby lifesapuntreturn » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:01 pm

SuperHornet wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:wasn't he just a punter at the end? Sean Landeta may keep doing that....


Blanda never punted. He was a place-kicker. Sure, that's all he did the last couple of years, but he was always listed as a QB-K. In fact, in something like '70 or '71, he came off the bench for an ineffective "Mad Bomber" Daryle Lamonica to lead the Raiders to a win or a tie with either a TD pass or a long FG. He was somewhere around 45 when he did this. And all this after getting blackballed by George Halas.


It was 5 straight games in 1970.
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/membe ... ayer_id=29
George Blanda's Pro Football Hall of Fame bio
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
Yogi Berra

Image

User avatar
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 35781
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 pm
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ
Location: BSC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby Grizalltheway » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:03 am

AppGuy04 wrote:I think this is a dumb move by the Braves. Publicity stunt maybe, but not a smart baseball move


I doubt he'll be a regular starter. Probably just play a few games here and there.

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AppGuy04 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 am

WTAG wrote:
AppGuy04 wrote:I think this is a dumb move by the Braves. Publicity stunt maybe, but not a smart baseball move


I doubt he'll be a regular starter. Probably just play a few games here and there.


You pay coaches for baseball advice, not players

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 15640
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby SuperHornet » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:13 am

AppGuy04 wrote:You pay coaches for baseball advice, not players


Then explain the existence of player-coaches and player-managers. Bill Russell (NBA version), Tree Rollins, Pete Rose, and Frank Robinson come to mind very quickly. If something ever happened to Bobby Cox, I wouldn't be surprised if Franco were asked to player-manage the Braves.
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AppGuy04 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:25 pm

SuperHornet wrote:
AppGuy04 wrote:You pay coaches for baseball advice, not players


Then explain the existence of player-coaches and player-managers. Bill Russell (NBA version), Tree Rollins, Pete Rose, and Frank Robinson come to mind very quickly. If something ever happened to Bobby Cox, I wouldn't be surprised if Franco were asked to player-manage the Braves.


Sure they exist, but IMO, they shouldn't

User avatar
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:11 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby skinny_uncle » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:48 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:to the Atlanta Braves!! 13 more months until he turns 50 years old.

He belongs in Atlanta. They helped resurrect his career a few years ago. I hope he retires as a Brave. I have vague memories of the Braves letting Satchel Paige com in at age 60 and pitch an inning or so to enable him to get his pension. Best of luck to the "Ageless One".
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

Image
Image

User avatar
lifesapuntreturn
Level1
Level1
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:25 pm
I am a fan of: Montana State University
Location: USA (Unfettered Socialism Abounds)

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby lifesapuntreturn » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:36 am

Franco is hitting below the Mendoza line and the Braves are in a pennant race. If he doesn't start hitting, he'll probably be gone in a couple of weeks. I assume they brought him in because he played well for them a couple of years ago.

As far as the Braves keeping old players on their roster, HOF knuckleballer Phil Neikro pitched for the Braves until he was well into his 40's.
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
Yogi Berra

Image

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AppGuy04 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:11 am

Doesn't matter who he is, he's batting, as of last night .177. They will not make the playoffs with a 1st baseman doing that. They have plenty of talent in Richmond, I'd rather see a young guy than Franco

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12877
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby GannonFan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:14 am

Heck, the Braves should just see if Von Hayes is available - with the way that Franco is hitting they might want to pull a trigger on that trade! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51073
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AZGrizFan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:35 am

GannonFan wrote:Heck, the Braves should just see if Von Hayes is available - with the way that Franco is hitting they might want to pull a trigger on that trade! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



Ah, the inevitable "Von Hayes" reference..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:11 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby skinny_uncle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 pm

Watched the Braves and Cardinals last night. I just love it when Julio is batting and Bobby Cox is hollering from the dugout "C'mon, kid!"
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

Image
Image

User avatar
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:11 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby skinny_uncle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:16 pm

AppGuy04 wrote:Doesn't matter who he is, he's batting, as of last night .177. They will not make the playoffs with a 1st baseman doing that. They have plenty of talent in Richmond, I'd rather see a young guy than Franco

He's up to .192 last I checked. I'll bet he breaks the Mendoza line soon.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

Image
Image

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AppGuy04 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:30 pm

skinny_uncle wrote:
AppGuy04 wrote:Doesn't matter who he is, he's batting, as of last night .177. They will not make the playoffs with a 1st baseman doing that. They have plenty of talent in Richmond, I'd rather see a young guy than Franco

He's up to .192 last I checked. I'll bet he breaks the Mendoza line soon.


Not hard when every hit he gets raises his average 25 points

User avatar
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1165
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:11 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby skinny_uncle » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 pm

Just checked on Julio.
He has a couple of hits tonight and is up to .211.
That Braves uniform just does something for him.
He still has some life in him.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

Image
Image

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby AppGuy04 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:18 am

skinny_uncle wrote:Just checked on Julio.
He has a couple of hits tonight and is up to .211.
That Braves uniform just does something for him.
He still has some life in him.


He may be back to the bench before Tuesday. The Braves are looking at getting Mark Teixeira

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7630
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I am a fan of: elaware
Location: East Coast/Hawaii

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby bluehenbillk » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:14 am

Franco can just flat out hit, glad the Mets cut him loose.
Make Delaware Football Great Again

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7630
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I am a fan of: elaware
Location: East Coast/Hawaii

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby bluehenbillk » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:46 am

Dammit, Braves cut him yesterday.
Make Delaware Football Great Again

User avatar
Bobcat in NC
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:10 am
I am a fan of: Montana State
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Julio Franco Returns

Postby Bobcat in NC » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:39 am

bluehenbillk wrote:Dammit, Braves cut him yesterday.


Jerkoffs (of course, tough to keep Julio when you trade for Teixeira). I love watching Julio play, and have for almost 30 years. When I was a little kid, I watched him play rookie ball for the Butte (MT) Copper Kings back in the late 70s and have been a fan ever since. I just hope hat he can catch on somewhere else within the next year so he can be playing baseball on his 50th birthday (August of next year, I think). ::Insert smilie of old man using his cane to hit a gapper to left::


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests