Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Hey, DJH....

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Top 5 paid players

1. A-Rod
2. Clif Lee
3. Johan Santan
4. Mark Teixeira
5. Joe Mauer

At least Mauer is playing :lol:
Hey, Cliff Lee shut down the D-Backs the other night...I'm pretty sure he's active. He's also 4-2 with a 2.83 ERA this year...he is the ONLY one on that list actually earning his paycheck.
Overbay is batting .257 and playing 1st Base. Morneau is the Twins firstbaseman, batting .309 with 5 more RBI than Overbay. Keep trying. :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Hey, Cliff Lee shut down the D-Backs the other night...I'm pretty sure he's active. He's also 4-2 with a 2.83 ERA this year...he is the ONLY one on that list actually earning his paycheck.
Overbay is batting .257 and playing 1st Base. Morneau is the Twins firstbaseman, batting .309 with 5 more RBI than Overbay. Keep trying. :rofl:
I don't care WHAT position you're playing, if you're getting paid $23 million and 1/4 of the way through the season you have TWO HR's and 13 RBI's, you're grossly overpaid. GROSSLY.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I don't care WHAT position you're playing, if you're getting paid $23 million and 1/4 of the way through the season you have TWO HR's and 13 RBI's, you're grossly overpaid. GROSSLY.
Top 10 in batting.........................all baseball players are grossly overpaid.

How about the Angels with Pujols and Hamilton, both soon to make more than Mr. Mauer.
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

Mauer is one of the best to ever play the position. First Ballot HOF'er, and there ain't no doubt about it.

He is paid what the market demands. If you think he's overpaid then you're a retard.
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:Mauer is one of the best to ever play the position. First Ballot HOF'er, and there ain't no doubt about it.

He is paid what the market demands. If you think he's overpaid then you're a retard.
I will take that bet for ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY. You name the amount. :roll: :roll:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mauer got the only Twins hit tonight :o
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

AZGrizFan wrote:
DJH wrote:Mauer is one of the best to ever play the position. First Ballot HOF'er, and there ain't no doubt about it.

I will take that bet for ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY. You name the amount. :roll: :roll:
Joe Mauer is only 29 years old, and he is already a 6 time all-star, a 3 time batting champ, 1 time AL MVP, a .324 (!!!) career hitter, and a 3 time gold glove winner. And he plays CATCHER.

Go ahead and look at the numbers for catchers that are in the HOF, and compare them to Mauer.
UNI FIGHT
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

DJH wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Joe Mauer is only 29 years old, and he is already a 6 time all-star, a 3 time batting champ, 1 time AL MVP, a .324 (!!!) career hitter, and a 3 time gold glove winner. And he plays CATCHER.

Go ahead and look at the numbers for catchers that are in the HOF, and compare them to Mauer.
Let me refresh your memory: You said he was a "FIRST BALLOT HOF'er, and there ain't no doubt about it". There are a grand total of 13 catchers in the HOF. FIVE of those were elected by the veteran's committee. Do you know how many were First Ballot Inductees?

ONE. Johnny Bench. Not Roy Campanella. Not Gary Carter. Not Carlton Fisk. Mike Piazza, a 12-time AS, 10-time Silver Slugger, 1993 ROY, with 427 career HR's and 1335 career RBI, career .308 hitter wasn't a first ballot HOF'er.

I will take your bet for any amount of money you feel like wagering. Any amount. My bet, if Mauer is EVER put into the Hall, it'll be by the veteran's committee.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Lyle Overbay with another RBI....
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Joe, entering today, was hitting 394 in May...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:Joe, entering today, was hitting 394 in May...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
And in his last 10 games he's 8-42. What's your point? Hey, on the bright side, he DOES have 2 HR's in the last 3 games. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

2013 All-Star Game rosters
American League
Starters
C: Joe Mauer, Twins
1B: Chris Davis, Orioles
2B: Robinson Cano, Yankees
SS: J.J. Hardy, Orioles
3B: Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
OF: Mike Trout, Angels
OF: Adam Jones, Orioles
OF: Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

I'd just like to point out that the younger, better, Buster Posey will never make what Mauer is making, and that includes the 9 year contract he just signed. And that's with the big market Giants.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:2013 All-Star Game rosters
American League
Starters
C: Joe Mauer, Twins
1B: Chris Davis, Orioles
2B: Robinson Cano, Yankees
3B: Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
OF: Mike Trout, Angels
OF: Adam Jones, Orioles
OF: Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
All that does is magnify what a shithole the C position has become in the American League. :ohno: :ohno:

Oh, and Twinkies are 3-12 in their last 15. The All Star break couldn't have come a better time for the poor, maligned Twinkies. If Mauer REALLY cared about the team/city, he'd give back about half his salary so they could field a competitive product.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Brock Landers wrote:I'd just like to point out that the younger, better, Buster Posey will never make what Mauer is making, and that includes the 9 year contract he just signed. And that's with the big market Giants.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Posey is a flat out stud.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
All that does is magnify what a shithole the C position has become in the American League. :ohno: :ohno:

Oh, and Twinkies are 3-12 in their last 15. The All Star break couldn't have come a better time for the poor, maligned Twinkies. If Mauer REALLY cared about the team/city, he'd give back about half his salary so they could field a competitive product.
Won 2 of the last 3 games at Yankee Stadium over the weekend. Twins like the home grown kids. The 2 all-stars Mauer and Perkins were roommates for the High School all-star game when they were Seniors. The Twins owners will spend money if asked, so far the GM has not asked them to spend more money. They have some good prospects in the Minors right now. Byron Buxton is said to be a much bigger prospect than Mauer ever was and Miguel Sano is not far behind. They have a few pitchers coming up also, with Gibson winning last weekend in NY, with Alex Meyer (100mph fastball) and Trevor May. See if this new GM can turn the team around with farm help vs spending the big bucks.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Former Twins on the all-star rosters

American League
Starters

Pitchers
RHP: Grant Balfour %, A's
RHP: Jesse Crain *, White Sox
RHP: Joe Nathan, Rangers

Reserves
OF: Torii Hunter, Tigers

National League

Reserves
OF: Michael Cuddyer, Rockies
OF: Carlos Gomez, Brewers
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Won 2 of the last 3 games at Yankee Stadium over the weekend. Twins like the home grown kids. The 2 all-stars Mauer and Perkins were roommates for the High School all-star game when they were Seniors. The Twins owners will spend money if asked, so far the GM has not asked them to spend more money. They have some good prospects in the Minors right now. Byron Buxton is said to be a much bigger prospect than Mauer ever was and Miguel Sano is not far behind. They have a few pitchers coming up also, with Gibson winning last weekend in NY, with Alex Meyer (100mph fastball) and Trevor May. See if this new GM can turn the team around with farm help vs spending the big bucks.
That "potential" is a bitch, ain't it? :lol: :lol: :lol: 2 of their last 3 to GET to 3-12. :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:Former Twins on the all-star rosters

American League
Starters

Pitchers

Reserves

National League

Reserves
Translation: How many of those players could they have kept if Mauer hadn't bent them over and buttraped them with no vaseline? :coffee:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I believe every single one of them, sans Cuddy, was gone before the contract was signed

quando omni flunkus moritati
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

clenz wrote:I believe every single one of them, sans Cuddy, was gone before the contract was signed

Clenz, I am offended by your non-English bottom add-on thingy.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote:I believe every single one of them, sans Cuddy, was gone before the contract was signed

It's a rhetorical question, dumbass. Point being, Imagine how good of a team they could field if they didn't have 40% of their salary allocated to one slap-hitting injury-prone catcher?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SS: J.J. Hardy, Orioles - was not able to be resigned at end of 2010 because of Mauer contract
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox - stupidly traded long before Mauer

RHP: Grant Balfour %, A's - long since gone
RHP: Jesse Crain *, White Sox - why is he an All-star?
RHP: Joe Nathan, Rangers - was not able to be resigned at end of 2011 because of Mauer contract

OF: Torii Hunter, Tigers - not resigned after in 2007

National League

Reserves
OF: Michael Cuddyer, Rockies - was not able to be resigned at end of 2011 because of Mauer contract
OF: Carlos Gomez, Brewers - traded for Hardy, who they had to let go because of Mauer contract
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Former Twins on the all-star rosters

American League
Starters

Pitchers

Reserves

National League

Reserves
Translation: How many of those players could they have kept if Mauer hadn't bent them over and buttraped them with no vaseline? :coffee:
None, team salary is at 94 mil this year, and they have had up to 112 mil a few years back, so they have room to spend if they want.

American League
Starters
SS: J.J. Hardy, Orioles, did not resign due to foolish deal with Nishioka who ended up not being Major League at all.
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox, traded because he would not hit to the opposite field or up the middle

Pitchers
RHP: Grant Balfour %, A's, not a big deal
RHP: Jesse Crain *, White Sox, Bill Smith percieved him as overpriced
RHP: Joe Nathan, Rangers, Bill Smith thought his best years were behind him

Reserves
OF: Torii Hunter, Tigers, Thought he was over-priced and best years were behind

National League

Reserves
OF: Michael Cuddyer, Rockies, Thought he was over-priced
OF: Carlos Gomez, Brewers, did not think he would get better
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

So, all THOSE guys were overpriced, but Mauer is just fine at $23,000,000?

:rofl: :ohno: