Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Hey, DJH....(The Joe Mauer Memorial Thread)

Post by Gil Dobie »

Fangraph has Mauer's value at $25.2 million for the Twins. Below is his value per season according to Fangraph. Joe Mauer Fangraph Link

Season Dollars
2004 Twins $3.7
2005 Twins $11.4
2006 Twins $23.1
2007 Twins $12.7
2008 Twins $26.6
2009 Twins $34.5
2010 Twins $21.0
2011 Twins $6.1
2012 Twins $21.2
2013 Twins $25.2
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Gil Dobie wrote:Meet Joe Mauer's future replacement behind the plate

Josmil Pinto
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:

Josmil Pinto
A fan, jon? :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
A fan, jon? :lol:

Yeah :nod:
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote:

Josmil Pinto
Sounds like he is on the list for September call-ups with Mauer's career in jeopardy.

MLB Link -- Joe Mauer continues to feel better after sustaining a concussion last week.
Mauer went on the disabled list Aug. 20 after he was a late scratch before the Twins played Detroit. The catcher is feeling better each day and is expected to feel well enough to meet with the media Thursday, Twins general manager Terry Ryan said.

Ryan also said Mauer would not travel to Arlington when the Twins take on the Rangers this weekend.

"He felt better today, so that helps the cause," Ryan said. "He was better today than he was yesterday. And he was better yesterday than he was the day before."

Mauer was at Target Field on Wednesday and was doing some light activity in the weight room.

"He was doing some exercises," Ryan said. "He's moving around in there. He's doing some stretches and stuff -- at least he's active and so forth, feeling a little better."

Teammate and good friend Justin Morneau shared some advice with Mauer after recovering from a concussion of his own in 2010.

"The only thing I told him is rest is the most important thing," Morneau said. "If you're not feeling good and you think you need to go lie down, then go do that. That's going to help you get better quicker. The more you try and fight through it like you would a sore hamstring or a sore elbow or something -- some things you can play with -- this isn't one of those things you play with, because the longer you put it off or the longer you try and wish it's not there, the longer its going to take to heal."
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

How do Pierzynski's career stats & results compare to Mauer's? Just curious since I believe the Twins dumped Pierzynski to make room for Mauer.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote:How do Pierzynski's career stats & results compare to Mauer's? Just curious since I believe the Twins dumped Pierzynski to make room for Mauer.
Averages 16 homers .284 average, 73 RBI, best season was 2012, fangraph had him valued at 14.8 Million.
Mauer is 14 HR, .323 AVG and 87 RBI per full season average.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
UNI88 wrote:How do Pierzynski's career stats & results compare to Mauer's? Just curious since I believe the Twins dumped Pierzynski to make room for Mauer.
Averages 16 homers .284 average, 73 RBI, best season was 2012, fangraph had him valued at 14.8 Million.
That's the offensive comparison. How do they compare defensively? What about the intangibles? The White Sox don't win the World Series without Pierzynski.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
That's the offensive comparison. How do they compare defensively? What about the intangibles? The White Sox don't win the World Series without Pierzynski.
The fangraph value uses offensive and defensive categories to calculate value and WAR. Using those, Mauer is around $10 million higher value.

Mauers WAR this year is 5.2, with best of 7.6, 3 Gold Gloves, .995 Fielding, .333 Caught Stealing, Career WAR 44.3
AJ's WAR is 1.7 with best of 4.2, .995 Fielding, .250 Caught Stealing, Career WAR 26.2
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Mauer is head and shoulders above AJ is every single way...I challenge you to find one Twins fan that would take AJ over Mauer....

With Morneau being traded today it's possible Joe makes the move to first now if/when he comes back.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

clenz wrote:Mauer is head and shoulders above AJ is every single way...I challenge you to find one Twins fan that would take AJ over Mauer....

With Morneau being traded today it's possible Joe makes the move to first now if/when he comes back.
There was a lot of talk prior to the trade, with Mauer's recent concussion and Parmelee's failure to perform, that Mauer maybe moved permanently to 1b. He won't be the power hitting first baseman, but he will be one of the best fielders at the position.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote:Mauer is head and shoulders above AJ is every single way...I challenge you to find one Twins fan that would take AJ over Mauer....

White Sox fans might have a different opinion. AJ might not be as physically talented as Mauer but he definitely helps his teams win.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

He is a headache that can be "put up with" when the team us winning around him...I'm hearing quite a few complaints about him from Sox fans the last few years...re: now that they stopped winning

quando omni flunkus moritati
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mauer probably done for the season....twins mired in a 3-8 skid....life is good in the Twin Cities...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Twinkies 2-8 in their last 10. Mauer officially shut down. 113 games this season....2nd lowest ever in his career.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:Twinkies 2-8 in their last 10. Mauer officially shut down. 113 games this season....2nd lowest ever in his career.
It took Morneau 2 years to get back to where he is, and that's not close to where he was prior to his concussion.

The Twins will have around $40 million to spend in the off-season. The most expensive single free agent is only worth about 7-10 wins in a season. If you don't spend the money, you need to have a farm system like St Louis. The Twins farms system has improved after Terry Ryan took over again, but Ryan will need to spend some of the Pohlad's money to get the club back in contention.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Twinkies 2-8 in their last 10. Mauer officially shut down. 113 games this season....2nd lowest ever in his career.
It took Morneau 2 years to get back to where he is, and that's not close to where he was prior to his concussion.

The Twins will have around $40 million to spend in the off-season. The most expensive single free agent is only worth about 7-10 wins in a season. If you don't spend the money, you need to have a farm system like St Louis. The Twins farms system has improved after Terry Ryan took over again, but Ryan will need to spend some of the Pohlad's money to get the club back in contention.
Well, getting rid of Morneau's salary was a good start in that direction.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Well, getting rid of Morneau's salary was a good start in that direction.
Well, then they have $50 million to spend. They had money to spend this year too, but didn't spend much or wisely. Josh Willingham was their biggest free agent signing ever, at 3 year $21 million.

2012-13 Twins FA Signings - Ones in Bold played in the Majors 2013.

229 P.J. Walters
230 Tim Wood
231 Eric Fryer
232 Jeff Clement
233 Lester Oliveros
234 Brandon Boggs
235 Bryan Augenstein
236 Ray Olmedo
237 Mike O'Connor
238 Clete Thomas
239 Scott Elarton
240 Kevin Correia
241 Mike Pelfrey

242 Antoan Richardson
243 Doug Bernier
244 Rafael Perez
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The Twins and Joe officially announce a move to 1st base starting next season
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

clenz wrote:The Twins and Joe officially announce a move to 1st base starting next season
Probably see a bump in his stats, but not his All-Star appearances. He should be a gold glove though.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
clenz wrote:The Twins and Joe officially announce a move to 1st base starting next season
Probably see a bump in his stats, but not his All-Star appearances. He should be a gold glove though.
He's gonna become a power hitter? :coffee:

Maybe they should move him to SS or 2B. His numbers are more representative of a middle-infielder from the Dominican.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Maybe they should move him to SS or 2B. His numbers are more representative of a middle-infielder from the Dominican.
When I think of SS or 2b, I think of .225 1 HR and 36 RBI. Mauer averages out to 14 HR 87 RBI and .323 average and I could see them going up to the 20 HR, 100 RBI and .330 avg. range.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

It's amazing how much healthier and stronger and more consistant you can be as a hitter when you aren't behind the plate 100+ times each season.

That's killer on a body. It's why you almost never see catchers that are great behind and at the plate.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

When I think of SS or 2b, I think of .225 1 HR and 36 RBI. Mauer averages out to 14 HR 87 RBI and .323 average and I could see them going up to the 20 HR, 100 RBI and .330 avg. range.
Joe Mauer has hit 14 HR exactly ONCE in his career. In fact, in 9 full seasons he's hit more than 13 only TWICE. 105 career HR's and 28 of those came in one steroid infused year. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Joe Mauer has hit 14 HR exactly ONCE in his career. In fact, in 9 full seasons he's hit more than 13 only TWICE. 105 career HR's and 28 of those came in one steroid infused year. :coffee:
Mauer has never played a full season as catcher. The 14 HR is what he averages per 162 games during his 10 year career.