US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: US SOCCER

Post by ∞∞∞ »

89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am How important is Sunday's game to this discussion? Yes, I know it's the U23 team, but that IS the future of the USMNT. IF the US were to lose to Honduras, that would be a huge blow. A win... that's what should be expected.
When has the U-23 team ever been the future of US soccer? If you're under 23 and good enough, you're probably on the USMNT already. 15 of the 23 players on the national team are 23 or under.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Jamaica is in Europe now? ;)

That would explain it. :thumb:
I believe they played the Jamaican team that was made up of Jamaican's playing on European club teams.

As for the U23's, you have to admit that was a real piss-poor effort by that group. They can come up with all the excuses they want (not in-season for US players, no time to get acclimated to the weather, the all-or-nothing semifinal format, etc) but it is embarrassing to lose to Honduras, again, and to not even look like an offensive-minded team any time during this tournament.

On the plus side, the senior team is 8-0-1 in their last 9 games, and while Pulisic was talking about playing in the Olympics, club teams don't have to release players for junior tournaments and the Olympics, while nice and shiny, is still a junior tournament. The odds of the wealth of young kids playing for the senior team now being allowed to play in the Olympics were pretty slim, if at all. If the men's side is to make any noise and live up to the tremendous promise people are throwing their way now, the venue for that is the World Cup. Qualifying starts later this year. Stop losing to the Honduras's and Trinidad's of the world, qualify for Qatar without any drama, and win some elimination rounds there. We have to wait until the winter of 2022 to see if that happens, but start with some no-doubt-about-it wins in qualifying.
Agreed with all you wrote. And thought the senior team was shaky at times yesterday but a good win over Northern Ireland in Belfast. A win away in Europe is a good win.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

So any MLS teams getting invited to that "Super League"?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 am So any MLS teams getting invited to that "Super League"?
Well, it was called the European Super League, prior to it falling apart, so I'm wagering that no North American club team was invited to the European Super League. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Wow no one to toot Team USA's huge win over Mexico. Tsk tsk.

Suck it Mexico. :lol:

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:Wow no one to toot Team USA's huge win over Mexico. Tsk tsk.

Does Mexico suck that badly or were we lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:33 pm
SDHornet wrote:Wow no one to toot Team USA's huge win over Mexico. Tsk tsk.

Does Mexico suck that badly or were we lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No idea, don't follow soccer unless it's a World Cup year.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:33 pm or were we lucky?
Yes. Got outplayed but a win is a win. This was over a good Mexico team.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:41 am
But they didn't have the amazing Jorge Campos in goal....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Eh, I didn't see it as outplayed. Mexico had the lionshare of chances early on, but the US was getting the better of the game by the second half. As dangerous as Mexico was on those balls played through (US really needs speed on the defensive wings), the US was perhaps even more threatening with the Pulisic and Reyna combination moving forward. And Mexico was out of their element defending corner kicks - the US scored both goals in the field through corners and they could've/should've scored a couple more. The US clearly has a heckuva lot more talent than they've likely ever have had - time to string together a bunch of wins like this and breeze through qualifying - what a change that would be. :clap:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Eh, I didn't see it as outplayed. Mexico had the lionshare of chances early on, but the US was getting the better of the game by the second half. As dangerous as Mexico was on those balls played through (US really needs speed on the defensive wings), the US was perhaps even more threatening with the Pulisic and Reyna combination moving forward. And Mexico was out of their element defending corner kicks - the US scored both goals in the field through corners and they could've/should've scored a couple more. The US clearly has a heckuva lot more talent than they've likely ever have had - time to string together a bunch of wins like this and breeze through qualifying - what a change that would be. :clap:
It felt like Mexico out-possessed them 2:1 and the US commits SO many turnovers. To me it felt like the reverse of US-Ghana 2006 and 2010 where they just hung on and made the best of a couple chances. I guess that's how upsets go. I would just like to see the US outplay Mexico, not just outscore.

But I'm happy with the result. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:15 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm

It felt like Mexico out-possessed them 2:1 and the US commits SO many turnovers. To me it felt like the reverse of US-Ghana 2006 and 2010 where they just hung on and made the best of a couple chances. I guess that's how upsets go. I would just like to see the US outplay Mexico, not just outscore.

Possession soccer does not equal winning. Granted, it helps, and I like when my team is in possession more, but that's like being the team in football that puts up more total yards. It's great for the stats line, but it's not what they keep track of on the scoreboard (well, old fashioned, small scoreboards, not the huge fancy new ones that have everything on them). Mexico is turning their team over as their best players are old. The US is in the beginning of a golden generation of talent that countries always talk about. Good time to be rooting for US Soccer. :thumb:

BTW, official possession stat was 57% to 43% in Mexico's favor.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Couple week old news, but how do you let foreign fans take over the majority of your stadium? :suspicious:
https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/06/ ... eld-video/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:51 pm Couple week old news, but how do you let foreign fans take over the majority of your stadium? :suspicious:
Have you ever been to any soccer game in America involving Mexico. Ever? It’s 80% Mexico fans….almost every singe time.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:51 pm Couple week old news, but how do you let foreign fans take over the majority of your stadium? :suspicious:
Have you ever been to any soccer game in America involving Mexico. Ever? It’s 80% Mexico fans….almost every singe time.
I’ve never been to any soccer game since I went to a JMU game bs UVA NCAA tournament game mid/late 90s.

Been hearing for years that soccer has gotten big in the US, but it can’t be that big if you let fans of a foreign team take over your stadium..
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:15 am

Possession soccer does not equal winning. Granted, it helps, and I like when my team is in possession more, but that's like being the team in football that puts up more total yards. It's great for the stats line, but it's not what they keep track of on the scoreboard (well, old fashioned, small scoreboards, not the huge fancy new ones that have everything on them). Mexico is turning their team over as their best players are old. The US is in the beginning of a golden generation of talent that countries always talk about. Good time to be rooting for US Soccer. :thumb:

BTW, official possession stat was 57% to 43% in Mexico's favor.

"One night, I went to a bar, I was with a woman. We talked all night. We laughed, we flirted, I paid for several drinks of hers.

"At around 5am, a guy came in, grabbed her by the arm and took her to the bathroom. He made love to her and she left with him. That doesn't matter, because I had most of the possession on that night." -- Chile manager Jorge Sampaoli

Possession is nice, but when you can consistently center the ball dangerously in front of the net on set pieces, it might not matter how much possession you have. The US plays fundamentally sound on set pieces; they threatened on almost every one; and scored on two. Pulisic and Renya are so accurate on the centering pass; and McKennie is a beast on the receiving end.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm

I’ve never been to any soccer game since I went to a JMU game bs UVA NCAA tournament game mid/late 90s.

Been hearing for years that soccer has gotten big in the US, but it can’t be that big if you let fans of a foreign team take over your stadium..
Well, you do realize that they're mostly all Americans in the stadium, correct? It just so happens that people from Mexico who now live in the US tend to still be fans of Mexico and root accordingly. Same thing happens for other countries, just to a smaller effect. I remember going to a US/Jamaica game back in the late 90's at RFK stadium, and on the drive down to DC from Delaware there were so many cars with NY tags on the road sporting Jamaican flags and gear. It takes a few generations before you have recent immigrants root for the home team rather than the country they just left. But also being a nation of immigrants, we're always going to have this phenomenon to some extent.

This is also why, in big games, the US tries to play it in a venue far from the border and in areas without big pockets of Mexican-Americans.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Are you guys taking this thread to be for Team USA or for any and all soccer here in the States? Would it be appropriate hear to talk about NWSL tactics here?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:55 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 pm

Well, you do realize that they're mostly all Americans in the stadium, correct? It just so happens that people from Mexico who now live in the US tend to still be fans of Mexico and root accordingly. Same thing happens for other countries, just to a smaller effect. I remember going to a US/Jamaica game back in the late 90's at RFK stadium, and on the drive down to DC from Delaware there were so many cars with NY tags on the road sporting Jamaican flags and gear. It takes a few generations before you have recent immigrants root for the home team rather than the country they just left. But also being a nation of immigrants, we're always going to have this phenomenon to some extent.

This is also why, in big games, the US tries to play it in a venue far from the border and in areas without big pockets of Mexican-Americans.
You’re saying the majority of those fans from Mexico, rooting for Mexico, are naturalized USCs? (If you’re not a USC, you’re not an American).

And if you were born in & grew up in the US, you are a USC, and are an American. And if you aren‘t rooting for the US, that would be like being born in/grew up in Philly and being a Dallas fan. Just turrible.

Again, if soccer was THAT big in the US, the majority of fans would be Americans, rooting for America, not the foreign team.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am Are you guys taking this thread to be for Team USA or for any and all soccer here in the States? Would it be appropriate hear to talk about NWSL tactics here?
There is no place appropriate for NWSL tactics. Ever.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:50 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:55 am

You’re saying the majority of those fans from Mexico, rooting for Mexico, are naturalized USCs? (If you’re not a USC, you’re not an American).

And if you were born in & grew up in the US, you are a USC, and are an American. And if you aren‘t rooting for the US, that would be like being born in/grew up in Philly and being a Dallas fan. Just turrible.

Again, if soccer was THAT big in the US, the majority of fans would be Americans, rooting for America, not the foreign team.
On the first note, you're arguing a technicality - you don't need to be a USC to live in the US. So sure, they may not technically be Americans, but the point being that they are long term residents in America doesn't change.

And second, the fact that there are so many Cowboys fans who have never set foot in Texas is just indicative that people can and do have team allegiances that you would call "turrible". Heck, think of the fact that there are still international teams from Puerto Rico even though all Puerto Ricans are technically American citizens. People's nationalistic allegiances, especially in sports, aren't as clear as you would like them to be.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Gannon: You're N-V-T-S, nuts!

But you're probably right about people having allegiances that are "turrible." I am one of those you specifically mention who love the Cowboys but never have been to Texas (outside of the inside of the Dallas airport). That said, I'd love to get rid of Jerry Jones and replace Mike McCarthy with Head Coach for Life Danny White (who would also become the starting QB-P). Yes, I'm that nuts, too....

Re the NWSL tactics, Gannon: my whole question was regarding the play of star players. The OL Reign just got some imports from Olympique Lyonnais, including the best striking forward in the world in Eugenie Le Sommer. Also on the roster is USA striker Megan Rapinoe, perhaps the best striker in the US since Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain. Both sat the entire match last Saturday against NC Courage (Reign's third loss in a row), and both sat in yesterday's match against Chicago until the second half (Rapinoe entered at the 57th minute, and Le Sommer at the 67th minute). Both apparently had an immediate impact on the game in terms of rapid shots on goal, though the game was for all intents and purposes won in the first half (Chicago was shell-shocked when they gave up a goal in the first minute). My main question was whether bringing in stars off the bench was a good idea, or if one should play it like we would normally see in football where the star QB would start the game and then come out when the game is well in hand. I just can't see how playing it backwards would help team development....

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:50 am You’re saying the majority of those fans from Mexico, rooting for Mexico, are naturalized USCs? (If you’re not a USC, you’re not an American).
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:14 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:50 am

On the first note, you're arguing a technicality - you don't need to be a USC to live in the US. So sure, they may not technically be Americans, but the point being that they are long term residents in America doesn't change.

And second, the fact that there are so many Cowboys fans who have never set foot in Texas is just indicative that people can and do have team allegiances that you would call "turrible". Heck, think of the fact that there are still international teams from Puerto Rico even though all Puerto Ricans are technically American citizens. People's nationalistic allegiances, especially in sports, aren't as clear as you would like them to be.
If you’re not a USC, you‘re not an American. Nothing technical about it.
If you moved to (insert your country here), and spent a decade, or 2, or 3, or more there, and didn‘t become a citizen of (insert your country here) would you be a (insert your Country here)? No
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:02 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:14 am

If you’re not a USC, you‘re not an American. Nothing technical about it.
If you moved to (insert your country here), and spent a decade, or 2, or 3, or more there, and didn‘t become a citizen of (insert your country here) would you be a (insert your Country here)? No
Like I said, just a technical point on your part. I remember dating a girl in high school, both her parents were UK citizens but they've lived here in the US for going on 40-50 years. They're more American than some people born here. We're a big country, room for lots of different types. :thumb: