US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: US SOCCER

Post by 89Hen »

I'm so tired of soccer and US websites trying to pretend to be non-US. They list the dates like they're in Europe or in the military... 27/1 for yesterday's game. So I missed watching it. I thought the Canada game was the first one in this set. When I saw the score on the snail I thought it was incorrect.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:37 am I'm so tired of soccer and US websites trying to pretend to be non-US. They list the dates like they're in Europe or in the military... 27/1 for yesterday's game. So I missed watching it. I thought the Canada game was the first one in this set. When I saw the score on the snail I thought it was incorrect.
Let me guess, was it 2-1?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:37 am I'm so tired of soccer and US websites trying to pretend to be non-US. They list the dates like they're in Europe or in the military... 27/1 for yesterday's game. So I missed watching it. I thought the Canada game was the first one in this set. When I saw the score on the snail I thought it was incorrect.
Wow, you need to find other sites. ESPN doesn't do that (or at least the part of ESPN that I use doesn't). The only nod I see to US-based soccer deferring to a European style is when listing the home and away teams. In the US for almost all sports, either the bottom team (when listed vertical) or the second team (when listed horizontal) is the home team. Soccer does it reverse. I can live with that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:45 am
Wow, you need to find other sites. ESPN doesn't do that (or at least the part of ESPN that I use doesn't). The only nod I see to US-based soccer deferring to a European style is when listing the home and away teams. In the US for almost all sports, either the bottom team (when listed vertical) or the second team (when listed horizontal) is the home team. Soccer does it reverse. I can live with that.
Yes, I'm used to the home team first in soccer. I can live with it too, but it's just further evidence that soccer folks have giant sticks up their arses.

Online ESPN says US-Canada (Canada US really) is 1/30. Mobile ESPN (where I always am) is 30/1. The Honduras game is correct on both sites.. 2/2. ;)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:02 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:45 am
Yes, I'm used to the home team first in soccer. I can live with it too, but it's just further evidence that soccer folks have giant sticks up their arses.

Online ESPN says US-Canada (Canada US really) is 1/30. Mobile ESPN (where I always am) is 30/1. The Honduras game is correct on both sites.. 2/2. ;)
You don't like them encroaching on your turf? :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:15 am
89Hen wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:02 am

You don't like them encroaching on your turf? :D
Two people with sticks doesn't work.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

US likely needs 1 win or 2 ties in the last 2 games to guarantee a World Cup. Home vs Panama then @Costa Rica.

Can't believe North Macedonia just knocked Italy out of the World Cup. Beat Portugal (no small feat) and they get to go to the WC themselves.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Thank God I didn't stay up to watch that one.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:21 am Thank God I didn't stay up to watch that one.
The parts I watched weren't pretty. That's not a great Mexican side and the US had chances galore, considering it was an away game against an archrival, and just didn't deliver. Pulisic had a ton of chances - he has to convert those.

But, with that said, if they win at home against Panama that should do it. They do have a few critical guys out on injury and now two guys from last night are missing the Panama game having picked up a second yellow in last night's game, but there's no reason why they can't pull this out. Panama looks to be on fumes now after a surprisingly good start in qualifying so this is one that should do it. Even a loss to Costa Rica in the final match wouldn't matter as we're sitting +7 on them right now in goal differential. And no one is going to see that game since they're putting it on Paramount+ - at least the Panama game is going to be on FS1.

Also interesting that the US, and I guess the UK, appear to be some of the only nations back to full crowds in sporting venues. Azteca was barely half full last night. The Italy game in Palermo was barely half full (and I'm sure the Italians are glad it was given the outcome). US game on Sunday will be packed, for sure. Playing it in a warm weather venue (Orlando) so I guess there aren't many Panamanian ex-pats in the US.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:? :lol:
Why U.S. draw in Mexico was one of its best World Cup qualifying performances ever (seriously)
https://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/insi ... -seriously
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

Canada actually and US and Mexico essentially qualified today. US destroyed Panama 5-1 and Mexico edged Honduras.

Costa Rica would need to beat US by 5 or 6 to move ahead of us (not gonna happen) or beat us and Mexico lose with +/- changing by 4 or 5 to qualify.

CR will play New Zealand and should win to qualify.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

tribe_pride wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:06 pm Canada actually and US and Mexico essentially qualified today. US destroyed Panama 5-1 and Mexico edged Honduras.

Costa Rica would need to beat US by 5 or 6 to move ahead of us (not gonna happen) or beat us and Mexico lose with +/- changing by 4 or 5 to qualify.

Dominating performance today. And yeah the WC berth is all but official. :clap:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:16 pm
tribe_pride wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:06 pm Canada actually and US and Mexico essentially qualified today. US destroyed Panama 5-1 and Mexico edged Honduras.

Yup, the US did what it should do, they knocked the crap out of Panama. Tacking on the extra goals was a nice finish as well. Just need to not get blown out by Costa Rica (which should never happen anyway) and now we'll have a rooting interest in December in Qatar. Good to see Pulisic play so well - the US needs its best players to play like he did.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:50 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:16 pm

Yup, the US did what it should do, they knocked the crap out of Panama. Tacking on the extra goals was a nice finish as well. Just need to not get blown out by Costa Rica (which should never happen anyway) and now we'll have a rooting interest in December in Qatar. Good to see Pulisic play so well - the US needs its best players to play like he did.
And not be injured. We have a bunch of that right now in addition to the few who had to miss because of yellow card accumulations which should be wiped clean for Qatar so issues starts over for all teams then. Will be interesting if Berhalter keeps the pedal to the metal on Wednesday at least for the first 45-60.