2017 MLB Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2017 MLB Thread

Post by Ibanez »

tribe_pride wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Other than Flaggy, do they actually have any fans?
I am a suffering Mets and Jets fan (always have been).

Not quite sure why people are saying that it is a dumpster fire this year. They were playing like crap and already have had tons of injuries but are only 2.5 outside a Wild Card spot having just won 3 straight series including 1 over the Nats and going 6-3 in that stretch. Sure the Harvey thing sucks but better to take care of that crap now and he is back for his next start.

If you want to look at teams going to crap right now, look at the SF Giants and the Blue Jays. Both supposed to be pretty strong and both have records that are horrible.
Could be worse....you could be a Braves fan. :ohno: Bottom of the NL - East.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

bandl wrote:
tribe_pride wrote: Not quite sure why people are saying that it is a dumpster fire this year. They were playing like crap and already have had tons of injuries but are only 2.5 outside a Wild Card spot having just won 3 straight series including 1 over the Nats and going 6-3 in that stretch. Sure the Harvey thing sucks but better to take care of that crap now and he is back for his next start.
Matt Harvey
Teammates/Manager vs. Matt Harvey
Snydergaard on 60-day DL
Cespedes
23 runs
Collins as manager (see above)
4.74 ERA, 27th in NL (out of 30)
.230 AVG, 25th in MLB (out of 30)

I don't think it's a far stretch to call this team a dumpster fire when many people picked them to win the NL East.
Yeah but despite all of that, they are only 1 game under .500 and 2 games out of the WC spot having won 7 of their last 10 (and winning today's game 4-0 in the 1st inning).

Most people realistically had the Nats winning the NL East with the Mets as a WC team. I just briefly looked and didn't see any preseason picks having the Mets winning 90+ games this year. All mid-upper 80s wins which is still possible as they should be .500 after today. Teams like SF and Toronto who were predicted as playoff possibilities but are 11-22 and 12-20 are more dumpster fires.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

tribe_pride wrote:
bandl wrote:
Matt Harvey
Teammates/Manager vs. Matt Harvey
Snydergaard on 60-day DL
Cespedes
23 runs
Collins as manager (see above)
4.74 ERA, 27th in NL (out of 30)
.230 AVG, 25th in MLB (out of 30)

I don't think it's a far stretch to call this team a dumpster fire when many people picked them to win the NL East.
Yeah but despite all of that, they are only 1 game under .500 and 2 games out of the WC spot having won 7 of their last 10 (and winning today's game 4-0 in the 1st inning).

Most people realistically had the Nats winning the NL East with the Mets as a WC team. I just briefly looked and didn't see any preseason picks having the Mets winning 90+ games this year. All mid-upper 80s wins which is still possible as they should be .500 after today. Teams like SF and Toronto who were predicted as playoff possibilities but are 11-22 and 12-20 are more dumpster fires.
:lol:
The first link, literally the very FIRST link, I clicked on when I searched for 'MLB 2017 Predictions' had this to say:

"I think both teams will win 90 games or more and make the playoffs. However, I think the Mets will win the division because I like their starting pitching quality and depth. I think that both Noah Syndergaard and Jacob deGrom will be Cy Young Award candidates. I think Matt Harvey -- after four or five starts -- will get back to be being a premium pitcher. Steven Matz will be one of the top five left-handed starters in the league. At the back of the rotation, Robert Gsellman, Seth Lugo and eventually Zack Wheeler could be the difference-makers for the Mets to edge out the Nationals for the NL East title."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/Se ... redictions

[Quick! Deflect! Hurry! Say you don't watch or read ESPN! That's why you didn't see that prediction!]

Let's not forget about the fact that the Mets apparently don't know how to properly withhold a player with a minor injury from further worsening that injury and ending up on the DL for an even longer stint...which is, of course, the reason why so many of their players are on the DL.

Not sure why you keep trying to deflect by bringing up SF and Toronto, unless you just like watching 3 dumpster fires. (Although I seriously doubt anyone here would mind watching the SF dumpster fire burn for several more years).

But hey, if the Mets get back on track for a while, great! It will make the summer a little more interesting. It would be a lot more enjoyable for everyone who watches baseball if the Mets were somewhat more competitive than they have been thus far this year. Division runaways are boring.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Scherzer pitches a gem and then the bullpen blows another save. If the Nats had a bullpen, they'd be unbeatable.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Mariners complete a quick-hitter sweep of the Phils to get to .500. On to the Blow Gays.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:Scherzer pitches a gem and then the bullpen blows another save. If the Nats had a bullpen, they'd be unbeatable.
This happens twice a month to him. It's either that or HE gives up a homer in the 7th or 8th to lose a lead.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

bandl wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:

The first link, literally the very FIRST link, I clicked on when I searched for 'MLB 2017 Predictions' had this to say:

"I think both teams will win 90 games or more and make the playoffs. However, I think the Mets will win the division because I like their starting pitching quality and depth. I think that both Noah Syndergaard and Jacob deGrom will be Cy Young Award candidates. I think Matt Harvey -- after four or five starts -- will get back to be being a premium pitcher. Steven Matz will be one of the top five left-handed starters in the league. At the back of the rotation, Robert Gsellman, Seth Lugo and eventually Zack Wheeler could be the difference-makers for the Mets to edge out the Nationals for the NL East title."

[Quick! Deflect! Hurry! Say you don't watch or read ESPN! That's why you didn't see that prediction!]

Let's not forget about the fact that the Mets apparently don't know how to properly withhold a player with a minor injury from further worsening that injury and ending up on the DL for an even longer stint...which is, of course, the reason why so many of their players are on the DL.

Not sure why you keep trying to deflect by bringing up SF and Toronto, unless you just like watching 3 dumpster fires. (Although I seriously doubt anyone here would mind watching the SF dumpster fire burn for several more years).

But hey, if the Mets get back on track for a while, great! It will make the summer a little more interesting. It would be a lot more enjoyable for everyone who watches baseball if the Mets were somewhat more competitive than they have been thus far this year. Division runaways are boring.
My major point is that they have about a .500 record with only about 20% of the games over and are now 2 games out of a wild card spot. I don't really ever hear of teams being dumpster fires when teams are like that. We just must have different definitions or you must be including other teams as dumpster fires such as the Cubs who are only at .500 themselves.You just don't like NY teams.

As for you finding ESPN prediction, they may have it at 90 but I looked at 3 or 4 that had <90. When I didn't see projected standings with win-loss records as predictions in articles for all teams, I ignored because that is more just pulling predictions out of the air which is why I probably overlooked the ESPN one. Either way, I think 90 was more than should have been as high as could have been expected if they were healthy. Last year they made the playoffs with 87 wins, year before were very hot and won 90, and no where close anytime before that.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

So far so good for my Rockies, the rookie starters have done great so far. Bettie and Gray should be back in a month or so, Though Bettie may take a lot longer depending on results. Do you guys think the highly improbable can happen with this team with a 22-13 record so far?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: :lol: I almost feel bad for you guys having to rely on daydreaming.
Have the Nats won a playoff series yet? You know, ever? Just checking.
They haven't even won the manufactured "Battle of the Beltways" series yet.

The question is when the Nats play the Yankees, does he sit out or even throw the game?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

tribe_pride wrote:
bandl wrote:

My major point is that they have about a .500 record with only about 20% of the games over and are now 2 games out of a wild card spot. I don't really ever hear of teams being dumpster fires when teams are like that. We just must have different definitions or you must be including other teams as dumpster fires such as the Cubs who are only at .500 themselves.You just don't like NY teams.

As for you finding ESPN prediction, they may have it at 90 but I looked at 3 or 4 that had <90. When I didn't see projected standings with win-loss records as predictions in articles for all teams, I ignored because that is more just pulling predictions out of the air which is why I probably overlooked the ESPN one. Either way, I think 90 was more than should have been as high as could have been expected if they were healthy. Last year they made the playoffs with 87 wins, year before were very hot and won 90, and no where close anytime before that.
First of all) I think you're drunk because you're a little all over the place. Leave it to the experts around her like 89, StickyAss, 93 and myself on how to properly and coherently post when drunk. You're not good at it.
2) For a team that has been picked to win the division, being under .500 is not good 1/5th of the way through the season, no matter how you spin it. I like to call them a dumpster fire for several reasons, but mostly because I knew calling them a dumpster fire would immediately snag you.
D) What do the Cubs have to do with the Mets? Deflect, deflect, deflect.
Four) You're the easiest marlin to catch. EVERY. TIME.
phpBB [video]
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

bandl wrote: You're the easiest marlin to catch.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

bandl wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:

First of all) I think you're drunk because you're a little all over the place. Leave it to the experts around her like 89, StickyAss, 93 and myself on how to properly and coherently post when drunk. You're not good at it.
2) For a team that has been picked to win the division, being under .500 is not good 1/5th of the way through the season, no matter how you spin it. I like to call them a dumpster fire for several reasons, but mostly because I knew calling them a dumpster fire would immediately snag you.
phpBB [video]
If you want to say that they have been disappointing this season so far, I'll agree with that. I just disagree with the dumpster fire comment.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

tribe_pride wrote:
bandl wrote: First of all) I think you're drunk because you're a little all over the place. Leave it to the experts around her like 89, StickyAss, 93 and myself on how to properly and coherently post when drunk. You're not good at it.
phpBB [video]
If you want to say that they have been disappointing this season so far, I'll agree with that. I just disagree with the dumpster fire comment.
Maybe you're right..maybe dumpster fire isn't the right description. How about dumper fire?
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

bandl wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:
Maybe you're right..maybe dumpster fire isn't the right description. How about dumper fire?
Dunno what to call the Mets at this point...in fact, I'll be gentle and just lay down some facts

Mets ERA - 5.07 (30th out of 30 teams)
Mets BAA - .271 (29th out of 30 teams)

Isn't the Mets pitching supposed to be their bedrock? :?
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Dont look now, the Braves have a winning streak going...........one in a row baby!

#ChopOn

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Dont look now, the Braves have a winning streak going...........one in a row baby!

#ChopOn
They're out of the cellar.
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

Angles will struggle to be 500 again this year which is what happens when you have no pitching to speak of...But on a side note, Mike Trout missed 5 games last week with a tender hamstring but he's back now and has homered in 4 straight games....
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

Trout has now homered in last 5 of 6 games.....
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

VictorG wrote:Trout has now homered in last 5 of 6 games.....
Poor shmuck is wasting his prime....
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

The Giants and the Blue Jays have more wins than the Mets.

Mets = Dumpster Fire

That is all.
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

Grizalltheway wrote:
VictorG wrote:Trout has now homered in last 5 of 6 games.....

I know...It's killing me......but, he's in his what, 3rd year of a 100 million+ contract and is or will be 25 this year. He's going to break the bank in a couple years...
- Mark Twain
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Yea!!!!

Freddie Freeman got hit by a pitch last night and has a broken wrist..............

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

VictorG wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

I know...It's killing me......but, he's in his what, 3rd year of a 100 million+ contract and is or will be 25 this year. He's going to break the bank in a couple years...
#JerseyStrong
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

bandl wrote:The Giants and the Blue Jays have more wins than the Mets.

Mets = Dumpster Fire

That is all.
If the Mets are a dumpster fire, then the Phillies are on their way to the seventh circle of hell. :ohno: :fuel:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Ivytalk wrote:
bandl wrote:The Giants and the Blue Jays have more wins than the Mets.

Mets = Dumpster Fire

That is all.
If the Mets are a dumpster fire, then the Phillies are on their way to the seventh circle of hell. :ohno: :fuel:
Well, the Phillies are doing exactly what is expected of them, as they are in rebuilding mode this season and beyond. Nothing wrong with that, as the Phillies have shown in the past that they know how to rebuild.
The Mets are doing exactly the opposite of what most expected of them, as they were picked to win the division or get into the playoffs as a wild card. 7 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of a wild card? Luckily for them we're only a quarter of the way through the season, so they have plenty of time to recover.