2017 NBA Free Agency

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2017 NBA Free Agency

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote:Last years Christmas day game ratings averaged about a 3 or 4 overnight neilson rating.

Lakers Clippers and Wolves Thunder were just a 1.1 each though.

Wolves Lakers will be much higher this year. You've got the Ball family and the fact the Wolves should be pretty **** good.
Assuming that people realize the Wolves will be getting better. Minnesota is still not that huge of a TV draw. Big market bias unfortunately. It took awhile for people to start realizing OKC was good and they almost didn't even when Durant was there. And just like the Knicks in the first game (especially if Anthony gets traded), there's a chance, even with Ball, that the Lakers might still suck this year. People didn't watch the Lakers last year so if they keep sucking there's no reason to think that will change, Ball or no Ball.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:The NBA is in an upswing right now, hard to deny that.
I wouldn't honestly know. I don't know anyone apart from a couple of you guys here who care for the NBA, but...

http://awfulannouncing.com/nba/local-nb ... eason.html
The SBJ analysis, which looked at local ratings for 27 of the 30 NBA teams, found a 14 percent drop from the previous year. Twenty regional sports networks reportedly saw their ratings decline, including 15 that experienced double-digit decreases.

National television ratings were also down in 2016-17, suggesting a broader trend in NBA viewership.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:The NBA is in an upswing right now, hard to deny that.
I wouldn't honestly know. I don't know anyone apart from a couple of you guys here who care for the NBA, but...

http://awfulannouncing.com/nba/local-nb ... eason.html
The SBJ analysis, which looked at local ratings for 27 of the 30 NBA teams, found a 14 percent drop from the previous year. Twenty regional sports networks reportedly saw their ratings decline, including 15 that experienced double-digit decreases.

National television ratings were also down in 2016-17, suggesting a broader trend in NBA viewership.
More of a pop culture thing - apparel, games, YouTube, Twitter, etc. NFL TV ratings were down as well, but we are in the cord cutting era.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes, I dislike basketball for several reasons. I just wonder if many people really look forward to five regular season games on Christmas day (all meaningless games). Honestly, I think the NFL has possibly overdone Thanksgiving. I loved having the Lions and Cowboys host a game each during the day. That was plenty and the third night game seems too much IMO.

NHL? Not really relevant in this discussion, but since you mention it... they too have overdone the outdoor games. One game on New Year's Day was perfect. To now have 3-4 outdoor games a year has watered it down.
The people that really love the NBA love the Christmas games. I'm not that ardent of a fan as they are, but with the Sixers becoming relevant again I have to say we're likely to watch the Sixers/Knicks game. I have noticed the kids are much more into the NBA than I am - they already know when the NBA 2k18 game is coming out (as opposed to Madden which skews to an older demographic than the NBA game). The NBA is in an upswing right now, hard to deny that.

Relevant? They are getting better and should continue to be this year but still only had 28 wins last year. Could make the playoffs but that could be with an under .500 record because of the quality of the East this year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
The people that really love the NBA love the Christmas games. I'm not that ardent of a fan as they are, but with the Sixers becoming relevant again I have to say we're likely to watch the Sixers/Knicks game. I have noticed the kids are much more into the NBA than I am - they already know when the NBA 2k18 game is coming out (as opposed to Madden which skews to an older demographic than the NBA game). The NBA is in an upswing right now, hard to deny that.

Relevant? They are getting better and should continue to be this year but still only had 28 wins last year. Could make the playoffs but that could be with an under .500 record because of the quality of the East this year.
Dude, they are relevant. Can't ignore that. TV is clearly not ignoring that. They may crash and burn (injuries will always be a front and center concern) but that doesn't mean they aren't relevant. I didn't say they are championship material, but they are certainly newsworthy. :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Well, Irving to the Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizac and the Nets first rounder next year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:Well, Irving to the Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizac and the Nets first rounder next year.
Makes the Celtics better and it gives the Cavs something to play with when Lebron leaves after next year. Still not sure if the Celtics are good enough to win the East next year, but with Kyrie and Heyward and Tatum they're certainly a better team.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Re: RE: Re: 2017 NBA Free Agency

Post by DSUrocks07 »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Well, Irving to the Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizac and the Nets first rounder next year.
Makes the Celtics better and it gives the Cavs something to play with when Lebron leaves after next year. Still not sure if the Celtics are good enough to win the East next year, but with Kyrie and Heyward and Tatum they're certainly a better team.
Balances out the East more in the soon to be post LeBron era.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB