Hall of Fame Modern Era Vets Committee Vote

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Who Gets In the Hall of Fame

Poll ended at Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 am

Jack Morris
14%
Alan Trammel
14%
Marvin Miller
8%
Dale Murphy
11%
Don Mattingly
6%
Tommy John
11%
Luis Tiant
8%
Steve Garvey
11%
Dave Parker
11%
Ted Simmons
6%

Total votes: 36

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Hall of Fame Modern Era Vets Committee Vote

Post by Gil Dobie »

Players need 12 of 16 people to vote for them.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Hall of Fame Modern Era Vets Committee Vote

Post by 89Hen »

I'd be voting on name alone. I really don't know any stats for these guys.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Trammel played second fiddle to Yount and then Ripken, but was still one of the best shortstops ever.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:I'd be voting on name alone. I really don't know any stats for these guys.
Same here. I would think Jack Morris would be one, but honestly the other guys seem like all great players but maybe not HOF material. Oh, and I have no idea who Marvin Miller is. Is he coming to a Minneapolis autograph show soon?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote:I'd be voting on name alone. I really don't know any stats for these guys.
Same here. I would think Jack Morris would be one, but honestly the other guys seem like all great players but maybe not HOF material. Oh, and I have no idea who Marvin Miller is. Is he coming to a Minneapolis autograph show soon?
I hope not

From his wiki page: was an American baseball executive who served as the Executive Director of the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) from 1966 to 1982. Under Miller's direction, the players' union was transformed into one of the strongest unions in the United States. In 1992, Red Barber said, "Marvin Miller, along with Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson, is one of the two or three most important men in baseball history."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I hope not

From his wiki page: was an American baseball executive who served as the Executive Director of the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) from 1966 to 1982. Under Miller's direction, the players' union was transformed into one of the strongest unions in the United States. In 1992, Red Barber said, "Marvin Miller, along with Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson, is one of the two or three most important men in baseball history."
Now I vaguely remember that name - I was thinking a player, not a labor leader.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Alan Trammel and Lou Whitaker were the best 2nd base short stop combo in baseball from 1983 to 1988...
They had a dominant 5 year run
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

75%? Pass...
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Miller
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Chizzang wrote:Alan Trammel and Lou Whitaker were the best 2nd base short stop combo in baseball from 1983 to 1988...
No. I'll take Lopes-Russell over those two....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote:
Chizzang wrote:Alan Trammel and Lou Whitaker were the best 2nd base short stop combo in baseball from 1983 to 1988...
No. I'll take Lopes-Russell over those two....
From 1983-88 Lopes played for Oakland, Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros
Dodgers 2nd baseman was Steve Sax

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor Scores for the 9 players on the ballot (100 or more = possible Hall of Famer; 130 or more = "Hall of Fame Lock"

Jack Morris, 123
Alan Trammel, 119
Dale Murphy, 116
Don Mattingly, 134
Tommy John, 112
Luis Tiant 97
Steve Garvey, 131
Dave Parker, 125
Ted Simmons, 125
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JoltinJoe wrote:Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor Scores for the 9 players on the ballot (100 or more = possible Hall of Famer; 130 or more = "Hall of Fame Lock"

Jack Morris, 123
Alan Trammel, 119
Dale Murphy, 116
Don Mattingly, 134
Tommy John, 112
Luis Tiant 97
Steve Garvey, 131
Dave Parker, 125
Ted Simmons, 125
I remember when you were arguing that Mattingly deserved to go in ahead of Kirby Puckett, and Mussina 121 over Morris 123. I see Blyleven is 121, but practically begged to get in the Hall, while Jim Kaat, another Twins, is at 130. Puckett's score is 160.

There's room for all of them, just might take time.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Gil Dobie wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor Scores for the 9 players on the ballot (100 or more = possible Hall of Famer; 130 or more = "Hall of Fame Lock"

Jack Morris, 123
Alan Trammel, 119
Dale Murphy, 116
Don Mattingly, 134
Tommy John, 112
Luis Tiant 97
Steve Garvey, 131
Dave Parker, 125
Ted Simmons, 125
I remember when you were arguing that Mattingly deserved to go in ahead of Kirby Puckett, and Mussina 121 over Morris 123. I see Blyleven is 121, but practically begged to get in the Hall, while Jim Kaat, another Twins, is at 130. Puckett's score is 160.

Mattingly was better than Puckett and deserved to go in ahead of Puckett. I don't swear by HOF Monitor scores. They are just one piece of helpful information.

In Mattingly's case, he is one of a handful of players in the history of baseball who can say he was the best player in the game for an extended number of years. Puckett can't make that claim.

That being said, Puckett's HOF Monitor Score is a reflection that he played at his best for more years than Mattingly did. Unfortunately, the second half of Mattingly's career was beset by injuries and he was not the same player he was during the first half of his career.

But I still maintain that any player (or pitcher) who is the best in the game for an extended number of years should be in the Hall of Fame, even if his career is shortened by injuries. I call it the "Koufax Rule." Koufax won only 165 games in his career, and 97 of them came during a four-year streak before injuries ended his career. Mattingly deserves the same consideration.

Mat tingly could have Ripkened his way into the Hall of Fame. All he had to do was take his monstrous years and spread them out by inserting his Ripken-like years in between. Voila, 14 years of productivity and just when you thought he had fallen off the map, he comes back with a huge year and you say, "He's great."
Last edited by JoltinJoe on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Mattingly was better than Puckett and deserved to go in ahead of Puckett. I don't swear by HOF Monitor scores. They are just one piece of helpful information.

In Mattingly's case, he is one of a handful of players in the history of baseball who can say he was the best player in the game for an extended number of years. Puckett can't make that claim.

That being said, Puckett's HOF Monitor Score is a reflection that he played at his best for more years than Mattingly did. Unfortunately, the second half of Mattingly's career was beset by injuries and he was not the same player he was during the first half of his career.

But I still maintain that any player (or pitcher) who is the best in the game for an extended number of years should be in the Hall of Fame, even if his career is shortened by injuries. I call it the "Koufax Rule." Koufax won only 165 games in his career, and 97 of them came during a four-year streak before injuries ended his career. Mattingly deserves the same consideration.
please identify the "years" in which Don Mattingly was the best player in all of baseball..?

:shock:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Chizzang wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

please identify the "years" in which Don Mattingly was the best player in all of baseball..?

:lol:

Go iron your undershirt, pretty boy.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Mattingly was a better power hitter than Puck for a few years, and was a left handed batter in Yankee Stadium. Puck played centerfield and could carry a team on his back. I have no problem with either in the Hall. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Chizzang wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

I'm good with 1985 indeed... but "years"..?
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

This is what I always think of when I think of Mattingly

"For his career, Mattingly never appeared in the World Series, and his tenure with the Yankees marks the team's largest drought without a World Series appearance. Interestingly, the Yankees made the Series both the year prior to Mattingly's rookie year, 1981, and the year after his last with the club, 1996."
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Years
Mattingly 14
Puckett 12

Hits
Puckett 2304
Mattingly 2153

Runs
Puckett 1071
Mattingly 1007

Doubles
Mattingly 442
Puckett 414

Triples
Puckett 57
Mattingly 20

HR
Mattingly 222
Puckett 207

RBI
Mattingly 1099
Puckett 1085

Stolen Bases
Puckett 134
Mattingly 14

AVG
Puckett .318
Mattingly .307

WAR
Puckett 52.4
Mattingly 39.1

Gold Gloves
Mattingly 8
Puckett 6

Silver Sluggers
Puckett 6
Mattingly 3
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

bandl wrote:This is what I always think of when I think of Mattingly

"For his career, Mattingly never appeared in the World Series, and his tenure with the Yankees marks the team's largest drought without a World Series appearance. Interestingly, the Yankees made the Series both the year prior to Mattingly's rookie year, 1981, and the year after his last with the club, 1996."
Mattingly was a pretty important figure in the emergence of the Yankees in the later half of the 1990s. He was a patient hitter known for making pitchers throw pitches and for his ability to work the court.

Mattingly taught that plate discipline to Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams, who in turned groomed guys like Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, and Tino Martinez. Plate discipline was the hallmark of the Yankee Dynasty of the 1990s, and it all started with Mattingly. They worked starting pitchers out of the game before the 7th inning.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

JoltinJoe wrote:[He was a patient hitter known for making pitchers throw pitches
An outstanding quality in a batter :notworthy:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/07/sport ... wanted=all

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/5-mlb ... ?a=viewall

Mattingly was the best all-around player in the game in the mid-1980s, and it started at the plate. He won the batting title in 1984 (.343), led all baseball with 145 RBIs during his 1985 MVP year, led the league in hits twice (238, 207) and total bases twice. “The Hit Man” did not walk his way on base, yet he posted a career .358 OBP to go along with his .307 batting average.

9 Gold Gloves: Since the award was invented in 1957, only one first baseman (Keith Hernandez) has ever had more. Mattingly was as slick at first as can be. He excelled at nabbing popups toward the stands down the first-base line.

X factors: In terms of any of the intangibles, Mattingly’s contribution to his team and the game as a whole can’t be overstated. He represented the purity of baseball better than any player, and his example engendered the style of play that led to four Yankees championships in five years following his retirement in 1995.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Don Mattingly, as far as I know, had no impact on Mariano Rivera becoming possibly the best closer in the history of baseball, and that was quite likely the biggest factor in the Yankees doing as well as they did in the last part of the 1990's. Giving Mattingly credit for simply not being on the teams that won World Series is stretching it to say the least. Why not credit him with the World Series the Yankees won in the 1970's as players were anticipating the rise of Don Mattingly and stepped up their games considerably to avoid having him take their places?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

:lol:

Go iron your undershirt, pretty boy.
I'm interested in your answer actually.... Obviously 1985
But you said 5 YEARS and I'm having a hard time finding anything beyond one year (and that was very close)