2018 Major League Baseball Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18003
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Chizzang » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:15 pm

They just cruised through the playoffs... The best team in MLB by a pretty large margin

They went 119 and 57 all total
and by MLB baseball standards that total domination

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12880
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby GannonFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 am

Chizzang wrote:They just cruised through the playoffs... The best team in MLB by a pretty large margin

They went 119 and 57 all total
and by MLB baseball standards that total domination

:shock:


Astros aren't really all that far behind. Sox are clearly the best, but the margin to the next best team isn't crazy.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51079
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby AZGrizFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 am

GannonFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:They just cruised through the playoffs... The best team in MLB by a pretty large margin

They went 119 and 57 all total
and by MLB baseball standards that total domination

:shock:


Astros aren't really all that far behind. Sox are clearly the best, but the margin to the next best team isn't crazy.


Really? Because they smoked the Astros when it counted.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12880
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby GannonFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Astros aren't really all that far behind. Sox are clearly the best, but the margin to the next best team isn't crazy.


Really? Because they smoked the Astros when it counted.


One series. And no one isn't saying the Red Sox aren't better, just commenting on the extent of the gap between them and everyone else.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby css75 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:39 am

3 AL teams won 100 games so the spread isn’t that great between the three. If Orioles, Royals and White Sox are rated against Boston, the gap is huge.

NL more balanced, not better, but more balanced and competitive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12880
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby GannonFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 am

Just saying, Vegas has installed the Sox and the Astros as co-favorites to win it all in 2019, both at 6-1. Not sure if Vegas is aware that CS has declared the gap to be much bigger than that. We'll see if the lines change shortly.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18003
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Chizzang » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 am

I would argue the Yankees are better than the Astros..
Based entirely on respective records against each other and common opponents

add to that
The Yankees had to play the Red Sox 19 times and still managed to win 100 games
Name a team that could win 100 games in a season playing the Red Sox 19 times

Only that Yankees team

and if playing 14 playoffs games and losing three of them isn't "Dominant" please give me an example
of MLB dominance... I'm curious

Only the 1998 Yankees were more dominant in the regular season and playoffs
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12880
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby GannonFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:35 am

Chizzang wrote:I would argue the Yankees are better than the Astros..
Based entirely on respective records against each other and common opponents

add to that
The Yankees had to play the Red Sox 19 times and still managed to win 100 games
Name a team that could win 100 games in a season playing the Red Sox 19 times

Only that Yankees team

and if playing 14 playoffs games and losing three of them isn't "Dominant" please give me an example
of MLB dominance... I'm curious

Only the 1998 Yankees were more dominant in the regular season and playoffs


Yeah, but I hate the Yankees, so Astros>Yankees.

The A's and Mariner's were pretty good too this year. AL West may have been better top to bottom than the AL East - no Orioles in the AL West with 115 losses. Brutal.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 34382
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby CAA Flagship » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:51 am

GannonFan wrote:Yeah, but I hate the Yankees, so Astros>Yankees.

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18003
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Chizzang » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 am

CAA Flagship wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Yeah, but I hate the Yankees, so Astros>Yankees.

:lol: :lol:


Apparently the Yankees have cooled off considerably on Machado
after watching how he handled himself this post season

Intentionally stepping on first baseman's ankles (WTF)
Hitting .200 and acting like Reggie Jackson
generally being an all-around twat

Add to that:
Not a single teammate or coach from the Dodgers endorsed him moving forward
The Dodgers will not seek his services moving forward

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 34382
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby CAA Flagship » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:53 am

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :lol: :lol:


Apparently the Yankees have cooled off considerably on Machado
after watching how he handled himself this post season

Intentionally stepping on first baseman's ankles (WTF)
Hitting .200 and acting like Reggie Jackson
generally being an all-around twat

Add to that:
Not a single teammate or coach from the Dodgers endorsed him moving forward
The Dodgers will not seek his services moving forward

:shock:

It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do. Gregorious is out until mid-season at least. Could move Gleyber Torres (Thanks, Cubs!!!!) to SS until he gets back.
But Yankees need starting pitching. CC and Tanaka are getting old. Montgomery will be back from TJ surgery but he may need a season to readjust. Happ was a solid pickup, but Sonny Gray has been a disappointment and is likely gone.
I think Gardner may be gone too. Would leave an opening to sign Harper.

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11382
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Col Hogan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :lol: :lol:


Apparently the Yankees have cooled off considerably on Machado
after watching how he handled himself this post season

Intentionally stepping on first baseman's ankles (WTF)
Hitting .200 and acting like Reggie Jackson
generally being an all-around twat

Add to that:
Not a single teammate or coach from the Dodgers endorsed him moving forward
The Dodgers will not seek his services moving forward

:shock:


Stop insulting the twats of the world by comparing them to the flaming asshole that is Machado

8-)
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18003
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Chizzang » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Col Hogan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Apparently the Yankees have cooled off considerably on Machado
after watching how he handled himself this post season

Intentionally stepping on first baseman's ankles (WTF)
Hitting .200 and acting like Reggie Jackson
generally being an all-around twat

Add to that:
Not a single teammate or coach from the Dodgers endorsed him moving forward
The Dodgers will not seek his services moving forward

:shock:


Stop insulting the twats of the world by comparing them to the flaming asshole that is Machado

8-)


Clue...
Machado is 26 and not re-signed by Baltimore
Baltimore is looking for young talent to re-build around and yet they let Machado go

Now everybody knows why...
apparently the coaching staff in Baltimore hated him

Some team will throw gobs of money at him
but strangely enough it won't be teams that he's played for
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12880
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby GannonFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Chizzang wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
Stop insulting the twats of the world by comparing them to the flaming asshole that is Machado

8-)


Clue...
Machado is 26 and not re-signed by Baltimore
Baltimore is looking for young talent to re-build around and yet they let Machado go

Now everybody knows why...
apparently the coaching staff in Baltimore hated him

Some team will throw gobs of money at him
but strangely enough it won't be teams that he's played for


All it means is that someone like the Yanks or the Phils could now get Machado for a little bit less. I'd still take him and hope my manager can work some magic on him. He still puts up the stats.

Rumor is the Phillies could afford to sign both Machado and Harper and not even be at the luxury tax limit. Shaving some cost off of Machado's contract due to October malfeasances would be fine by me.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 33196
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby 89Hen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm

GannonFan wrote:Rumor is the Phillies could afford to sign both Machado and Harper...

But would you want to? Those are two big, immature personalities. Could be ugly.
Image

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12880
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby GannonFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:06 pm

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Rumor is the Phillies could afford to sign both Machado and Harper...

But would you want to? Those are two big, immature personalities. Could be ugly.


Eh, I might take high performing dysfunction over mediocrity. At least they'd be interesting.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 42894
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby dbackjon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 pm

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Apparently the Yankees have cooled off considerably on Machado
after watching how he handled himself this post season

Intentionally stepping on first baseman's ankles (WTF)
Hitting .200 and acting like Reggie Jackson
generally being an all-around twat

Add to that:
Not a single teammate or coach from the Dodgers endorsed him moving forward
The Dodgers will not seek his services moving forward

:shock:

It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do. Gregorious is out until mid-season at least. Could move Gleyber Torres (Thanks, Cubs!!!!) to SS until he gets back.
But Yankees need starting pitching. CC and Tanaka are getting old. Montgomery will be back from TJ surgery but he may need a season to readjust. Happ was a solid pickup, but Sonny Gray has been a disappointment and is likely gone.
I think Gardner may be gone too. Would leave an opening to sign Harper.


I have a feeling that at least one 2018 Dback if not two will be in pinstripes come opening day

1) Patrick Corbin would fill a huge need for them, plus he grew up a Yankee Fan
2) Paul Goldschmidt - under contract for another year, but if the Dbacks go into full rebuild mode, he could haul in some nice assets. The Yankees have a hole at first as well.
Image
Image

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 34382
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby CAA Flagship » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:00 pm

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do. Gregorious is out until mid-season at least. Could move Gleyber Torres (Thanks, Cubs!!!!) to SS until he gets back.
But Yankees need starting pitching. CC and Tanaka are getting old. Montgomery will be back from TJ surgery but he may need a season to readjust. Happ was a solid pickup, but Sonny Gray has been a disappointment and is likely gone.
I think Gardner may be gone too. Would leave an opening to sign Harper.


I have a feeling that at least one 2018 Dback if not two will be in pinstripes come opening day

1) Patrick Corbin would fill a huge need for them, plus he grew up a Yankee Fan
2) Paul Goldschmidt - under contract for another year, but if the Dbacks go into full rebuild mode, he could haul in some nice assets. The Yankees have a hole at first as well.

Not sure if they have given up on Greg Bird at 1st. He has had a long history of injuries and was left off the playoff roster because of an awful slump, but they may still like his tools. Voit was a solid replacement but not sure if that was a flash in the pan. I would like to see them get rid of Sanchez. He is, by far, the worst defensive player I have ever seen in the majors. They may package Sanchez and Bird/Voit for a solid starter.

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18003
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Chizzang » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:01 pm

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
I have a feeling that at least one 2018 Dback if not two will be in pinstripes come opening day

1) Patrick Corbin would fill a huge need for them, plus he grew up a Yankee Fan
2) Paul Goldschmidt - under contract for another year, but if the Dbacks go into full rebuild mode, he could haul in some nice assets. The Yankees have a hole at first as well.

Not sure if they have given up on Greg Bird at 1st. He has had a long history of injuries and was left off the playoff roster because of an awful slump, but they may still like his tools. Voit was a solid replacement but not sure if that was a flash in the pan. I would like to see them get rid of Sanchez. He is, by far, the worst defensive player I have ever seen in the majors. They may package Sanchez and Bird/Voit for a solid starter.


Have you written Cashman an email yet...

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby css75 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Not sure if they have given up on Greg Bird at 1st. He has had a long history of injuries and was left off the playoff roster because of an awful slump, but they may still like his tools. Voit was a solid replacement but not sure if that was a flash in the pan. I would like to see them get rid of Sanchez. He is, by far, the worst defensive player I have ever seen in the majors. They may package Sanchez and Bird/Voit for a solid starter.


Have you written Cashman an email yet...

:geek:



Rockies have a dilemma, Arenado becomes a free agent after 2019 season. What do they do?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11382
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Col Hogan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:30 pm

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 34382
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby CAA Flagship » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:12 am

Col Hogan wrote:

Was fully expecting Sweet Caroline. Disappointing. :ohno: :ohno:

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 34382
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby CAA Flagship » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 am

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Apparently the Yankees have cooled off considerably on Machado
after watching how he handled himself this post season

Intentionally stepping on first baseman's ankles (WTF)
Hitting .200 and acting like Reggie Jackson
generally being an all-around twat

Add to that:
Not a single teammate or coach from the Dodgers endorsed him moving forward
The Dodgers will not seek his services moving forward

:shock:

It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do. Gregorious is out until mid-season at least. Could move Gleyber Torres (Thanks, Cubs!!!!) to SS until he gets back.
But Yankees need starting pitching. CC and Tanaka are getting old. Montgomery will be back from TJ surgery but he may need a season to readjust. Happ was a solid pickup, but Sonny Gray has been a disappointment and is likely gone.
I think Gardner may be gone too. Would leave an opening to sign Harper.

Well, the Yankees signed Gardner. That likely means they are out of the Harper race.
But it could mean they go after Machado. :ohno: :ohno:

User avatar
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
Posts: 34382
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself
Location: Pizza Hell

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby CAA Flagship » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:18 am

CAA Flagship wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do. Gregorious is out until mid-season at least. Could move Gleyber Torres (Thanks, Cubs!!!!) to SS until he gets back.
But Yankees need starting pitching. CC and Tanaka are getting old. Montgomery will be back from TJ surgery but he may need a season to readjust. Happ was a solid pickup, but Sonny Gray has been a disappointment and is likely gone.
I think Gardner may be gone too. Would leave an opening to sign Harper.

Well, the Yankees signed Gardner. That likely means they are out of the Harper race.
But it could mean they go after Machado. :ohno: :ohno:


Unless they take Harper to play 1B.

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18003
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Season

Postby Chizzang » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

CAA Flagship wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Well, the Yankees signed Gardner. That likely means they are out of the Harper race.
But it could mean they go after Machado. :ohno: :ohno:


Unless they take Harper to play 1B.


It's fascinating how the teams that have had Machado on the roster have no interest in re-signing him

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JALMOND, TheDancinMonarch and 38 guests