Mariano Rivera!!!!!

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8731
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby dal4018 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:38 pm

He made history as the first ever UNANIMOUSLY ELECTED PLAYER INTO THE BASEBALL HALL OF FAME!!!!

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 15376
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby SuperHornet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Meh. I'll take Sutter, Fingers, Eckersley, and Smith over Rivera any day of the week to close out a game....
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6470
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby JoltinJoe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:59 pm

SuperHornet wrote:Meh. I'll take Sutter, Fingers, Eckersley, and Smith over Rivera any day of the week to close out a game....


:rofl:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 21923
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Dela-Where?

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby Ivytalk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:38 pm

SuperHornet wrote:Meh. I'll take Sutter, Fingers, Eckersley, and Smith over Rivera any day of the week to close out a game....


Why don’t you throw in Hoyt Wilhelm and Moe Drabowsky while you’re at it? :roll:
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12334
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby GannonFan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:15 am

Hey, Rivera was fantastic, no doubt about it. Deserving of unanimous? Probably, but then again, there's been quite a few players that should've been that. All I know, I was glad to watch perhaps the greatest reliever of all time blow the save in Game 7 of the World Series in 2001 and then not be able to shut the door on the Red Sox in 2004. Even great players can be not so great in big moments.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17186
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Don't call it Seattle...

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby Chizzang » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 pm

SuperHornet wrote:Meh. I'll take Sutter, Fingers, Eckersley, and Smith over Rivera any day of the week to close out a game....


Dennis Eckersley has stated several times publicly
that Mariano Rivera is the best closer the game has ever seen

:nod:

Eck seems pretty comfortable with that fact
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6470
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby JoltinJoe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:49 am

GannonFan wrote:Hey, Rivera was fantastic, no doubt about it. Deserving of unanimous? Probably, but then again, there's been quite a few players that should've been that.


With more writers making their votes public, it is becoming increasingly possible for bloggers to figure which voter(s) snubbed a sure-thing Hall of Famer, and then subject them to non-stop ridicule and abuse on internet message boards. In the old days, a writer could quietly settle some grudge and no one was the wiser about who did it.

Expect more unanimous choices in the future. But not Jeter. Expect one of those math league nerds to withhold his vote and then defend it by claiming Jeter was a poor defender -- which is a profoundly stupid thing to say. But these are the same guys who think Gene Tenace is a Hall of Famer. :coffee:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 21923
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Dela-Where?

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby Ivytalk » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 am

JoltinJoe wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Hey, Rivera was fantastic, no doubt about it. Deserving of unanimous? Probably, but then again, there's been quite a few players that should've been that.


With more writers making their votes public, it is becoming increasingly possible for bloggers to figure which voter(s) snubbed a sure-thing Hall of Famer, and then subject them to non-stop ridicule and abuse on internet message boards. In the old days, a writer could quietly settle some grudge and no one was the wiser about who did it.

Expect more unanimous choices in the future. But not Jeter. Expect one of those math league nerds to withhold his vote and then defend it by claiming Jeter was a poor defender -- which is a profoundly stupid thing to say. But these are the same guys who think Gene Tenace is a Hall of Famer. :coffee:

Throw in Joe Rudi, and you’ve got a deal! :mrgreen:
Anything I post passes any rational test. — John StOnge 7/12/19

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23082
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby Gil Dobie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 am

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:
With more writers making their votes public, it is becoming increasingly possible for bloggers to figure which voter(s) snubbed a sure-thing Hall of Famer, and then subject them to non-stop ridicule and abuse on internet message boards. In the old days, a writer could quietly settle some grudge and no one was the wiser about who did it.

Expect more unanimous choices in the future. But not Jeter. Expect one of those math league nerds to withhold his vote and then defend it by claiming Jeter was a poor defender -- which is a profoundly stupid thing to say. But these are the same guys who think Gene Tenace is a Hall of Famer. :coffee:

Throw in Joe Rudi, and you’ve got a deal! :mrgreen:


...and not without Sal Bando.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12334
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby GannonFan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:08 am

JoltinJoe wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Hey, Rivera was fantastic, no doubt about it. Deserving of unanimous? Probably, but then again, there's been quite a few players that should've been that.


With more writers making their votes public, it is becoming increasingly possible for bloggers to figure which voter(s) snubbed a sure-thing Hall of Famer, and then subject them to non-stop ridicule and abuse on internet message boards. In the old days, a writer could quietly settle some grudge and no one was the wiser about who did it.

Expect more unanimous choices in the future. But not Jeter. Expect one of those math league nerds to withhold his vote and then defend it by claiming Jeter was a poor defender -- which is a profoundly stupid thing to say. But these are the same guys who think Gene Tenace is a Hall of Famer. :coffee:


Who do you think is unanimous? Rivera was the only guy I thought was really a unanimous pick. Jeter's not the same kind of player at his position that Rivera was - don't take that as a knock, Jeter is a sure-fire first ballot HOF'er. But unanimous is a really big thing. I do take your point that transparency means that you are less likely to have errant votes like in the past, but there are still plenty of guys who don't publish their votes and it just takes one to make it not unanimous.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 15376
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby SuperHornet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Whoever voted against Bench was an idiot....
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6470
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby JoltinJoe » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:02 pm

GannonFan wrote:I do take your point that transparency means that you are less likely to have errant votes like in the past, but there are still plenty of guys who don't publish their votes and it just takes one to make it not unanimous.


Yes, but there are so many public votes now such that a little sleuthing might make it possible to determine who omitted a player from their ballot. Griffey was three votes short of unanimous, and a number of bloggers began the process of deducing the identity of those voters. The number of public votes was critical to that process, which became a bit of an obsession. They didn't crack the Griffey riddle, but next time they might.

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12334
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Mariano Rivera!!!!!

Postby GannonFan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 am

JoltinJoe wrote:
GannonFan wrote:I do take your point that transparency means that you are less likely to have errant votes like in the past, but there are still plenty of guys who don't publish their votes and it just takes one to make it not unanimous.


Yes, but there are so many public votes now such that a little sleuthing might make it possible to determine who omitted a player from their ballot. Griffey was three votes short of unanimous, and a number of bloggers began the process of deducing the identity of those voters. The number of public votes was critical to that process, which became a bit of an obsession. They didn't crack the Griffey riddle, but next time they might.


Then it just cheapens the process. Rivera is arguably the best reliever ever, but there's no way you get close to consensus that Jeter is the best SS of all time. If we start seeing more unanimous selections then it takes a little shine off of something that should be reserved for the really truly all time greats.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chizzang and 20 guests