Stanley Cup Finals

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Who wins the Cup?

Poll ended at Wed May 29, 2019 7:55 am

Bruins in 4
No votes
Bruins in 5
27%
Bruins in 6
27%
Bruins in 7
No votes
Blues in 4
No votes
Blues in 5
9%
Blues in 6
27%
Blues in 7
9%

Total votes: 11

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Stanley Cup Finals

Post by 89Hen »

Found myself really enjoying the Blues win last night. It's their first trip to the Cup finals since 1970 and first that they actually deserved. They were in the Cup finals their first three years of existence because the NHL put all 6 expansion team in their own conference so one would make the Cup. Dumb idea as the Blues went 0-12 in those finals.

I don't see any way that Craig Berube shouldn't be coach of the year. When he took over in November, the Blues were 30th of 31 teams in the standings. They went 38-19-3 to finish out the regular season.

Sure glad this isn't the NBA where you have to be 1st or 2nd in the conference in the regular season to have a shot at making the finals.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Stanley Cup Finals

Post by GannonFan »

Blues - living proof that regular seasons don't matter. Glad we agree on that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Blues - living proof that regular seasons don't matter. Glad we agree on that.
OK Mr BCS. :lol:

Rather interesting that the teams with the best records in February...

1. Boston
2. St. Louis
4. Carolina
5. San Jose

But I guess you think how a team is playing in November somehow matters. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Blues - living proof that regular seasons don't matter. Glad we agree on that.
OK Mr BCS. :lol:

1. Boston
2. St. Louis
4. Carolina
5. San Jose

But I guess you think how a team is playing in November somehow matters. :coffee:
So just to be clear, you're now admitting that NHL hockey prior to February doesn't matter and we shouldn't be watching until then. I agree. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: OK Mr BCS. :lol:

1. Boston
2. St. Louis
4. Carolina
5. San Jose

So just to be clear, you're now admitting that NHL hockey prior to February doesn't matter and we shouldn't be watching until then. I agree. :rofl:
We found Cleets' kryptonite earlier this month, now we've found yours. And for the record, you aint watching anyway, same way I'm not watching NBA.

Regular season doesn't really matter in ANY sport that has playoffs. At least not in the way YOU think it should matter. Ask the 16-0 Patriots how much that mattered. Ask the 116 win Seattle Mariners how much that mattered. The regular season sets the field for the playoffs and gives the fans a chance to go to games. It's actually a little ironic that AFAIK, the NHL is the only one of the sports that awards an actual trophy for regular season "champ". But nobody cares about it.

PS - I thought of one sport that maybe has more meaning to the regular season... Premier League in England. Don't teams get relegated if they finish in the bottom couple places?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Bruins in 5. I was impressed by how they steamrolled Carolina, and Rask is a hot goalie now.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

The Blues had the worst record in the NHL as of January 4th. Binnington became the staring goalie on January 7th.

What's a Rask?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
We found Cleets' kryptonite earlier this month, now we've found yours. And for the record, you aint watching anyway, same way I'm not watching NBA.

Regular season doesn't really matter in ANY sport that has playoffs. At least not in the way YOU think it should matter. Ask the 16-0 Patriots how much that mattered. Ask the 116 win Seattle Mariners how much that mattered. The regular season sets the field for the playoffs and gives the fans a chance to go to games. It's actually a little ironic that AFAIK, the NHL is the only one of the sports that awards an actual trophy for regular season "champ". But nobody cares about it.

PS - I thought of one sport that maybe has more meaning to the regular season... Premier League in England. Don't teams get relegated if they finish in the bottom couple places?
Well, soccer in England doesn't have playoffs, so the regular season of course matters in the Premier League, the Championship League, and Leagues One and Two, all the leagues that teams get promoted to and demoted from (same holds true for I think most European Soccer leagues). There actually are playoffs in the leagues under the Premier, a 4 team playoff between the teams that finish 3rd through 6th (the top two teams automatically get promoted) to decide the 3rd and final team to move up. Pretty exciting stuff - huge money difference between Premier and Championship.

As for America and where there are playoffs, regular season of course matters in the NFL. It isn't the end all be all, but getting a top two seed (the first week bye and the homefield in the divisional round) is a perk worth playing for and teams do that in the regular season. Same with MLB especially since they added the second wild card team and made that a one game, winner moves on thing. Avoiding the wild card game is certainly something worth playing for. And in the NBA there is a proven home court advantage, especially in the playoffs, so again, the regular season means something. With the even playoff structure and the lack of home ice advantage in the NHL, that's why the NHL regular season is far less meaningful than compared to the major sports.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a- ... ay-hockey/
The NBA and NFL have the biggest regular-season home advantages, improving a team’s chance of winning by 10 and 7 percentage points, respectively. And those benefits grow even larger in the playoffs, ballooning to as high as 14 percentage points for NBA teams. NFL home teams gain almost 5 extra points of win probability in the playoffs — again, after controlling for the fact that better teams tend to get more postseason home games.
...NHL teams do a bit better at home in the regular season (55 percent), they actually see their advantage decrease slightly in the playoffs.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:And in the NBA there is a proven home court advantage, especially in the playoffs, so again, the regular season means something.
The better team has home court in the playoffs, so is this supposed to be a revelation? If anything this only further makes my point. There is less parity and we end up with Golden State in the Finals how many years in a row? No thanks. :suspicious:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BTW, I wouldn't be that shocked if there was a minuscule difference in NBA having more of a home court advantage. Basketball is a little more of a 3D game which brings in visuals. Like everyone, I love that scene in Hoosiers when they measure the basket and foul line. But in reality, I could see where vision of the basket and surroundings could make a difference. A team gets used to their own visuals.

Ice hockey is more 2D and with the same white ice and glass in every arena, the look isn't that different. I've played hockey at several NHL arenas, and during play you'd never actually know you were in a big arena. It isn't until a stoppage of play or sitting on the bench that you start to look up at the seats.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

There's no crying in hockey, except in Boston.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Stanley Cup Finals

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:BTW, I wouldn't be that shocked if there was a minuscule difference in NBA having more of a home court advantage. Basketball is a little more of a 3D game which brings in visuals. Like everyone, I love that scene in Hoosiers when they measure the basket and foul line. But in reality, I could see where vision of the basket and surroundings could make a difference. A team gets used to their own visuals.

Ice hockey is more 2D and with the same white ice and glass in every arena, the look isn't that different. I've played hockey at several NHL arenas, and during play you'd never actually know you were in a big arena. It isn't until a stoppage of play or sitting on the bench that you start to look up at the seats.
I never thought of the 3D vs 2D perspective but it's very true. Nice insight!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:BTW, I wouldn't be that shocked if there was a minuscule difference in NBA having more of a home court advantage. Basketball is a little more of a 3D game which brings in visuals. Like everyone, I love that scene in Hoosiers when they measure the basket and foul line. But in reality, I could see where vision of the basket and surroundings could make a difference. A team gets used to their own visuals.

You should have seen some if the gyms we played at in High School. Some didn't have room to stand out of bounds to throw the ball in. Some had balconies that could block your shot from the corner. Others had 3 half lines, one center line, one for going right to left, and one going left to right. Bigger gyms had hundreds of feet of open space behind the basket. The Canadians didn't have the basketball lines as well market as volleyball.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Expecting Boston to win, but pulling for St. Louis. If the Bruins win, Boston will have the current champion in 3 of the 4 major sports. The only other time one city has had 3 (I think) was Detroit in 1936 (I think). No NBA then though, so it really was the city of champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AshevilleApp wrote:Expecting Boston to win, but pulling for St. Louis. If the Bruins win, Boston will have the current champion in 3 of the 4 major sports.
+1 I liked it a lot better when the Pats sucked and the Red Sox were the lovable losers.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

All I gotta say is:

Thank you, Blues! Anyone who beats the Sharks is good in my book. I HATE the Sharks....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Bruins in 5

Rask will be MVP

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote:All I gotta say is:

Thank you, Blues! Anyone who beats the Sharks is good in my book. I HATE the Sharks....
But they're so majestic.

But they also tear families apart.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

The Missouri Lt. Gov (R) (alumnus) was the keynote speaker at my son's HS graduation last Sunday.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

89Hen wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:All I gotta say is:

But they're so majestic.

But they also tear families apart.
I'm one of those rare NorCal Mighty Ducks fans....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote: We found Cleets' kryptonite earlier this month
Can you remind me what my Kryptonite is..?
I already forgot

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Bruins take game 1, 4-2.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: We found Cleets' kryptonite earlier this month
I already forgot

Abortion debate
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I already forgot

Abortion debate
:lol:

That's it... Thank you
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

2-2 going back to Bawstun.