Women's World Cup

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Women's World Cup

Postby 89Hen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:19 pm

US up 7-0 on Thailand in their opener. :suspicious:

Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Re: Women's World Cup

Postby Vidav » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 pm

13-0 final
93 had something to do with this:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Postby Ivytalk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Was CID there?
“...we are ALL cunts.” — CID1990, 10/31/19

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Postby 89Hen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Vidav wrote:13-0 final

That's just dumb. I guess it's no different than some of the first round games in the NCAA hoops tourney, but how did these countries even qualify to play?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ivytalk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:12 pm

89Hen wrote:

That's just dumb. I guess it's no different than some of the first round games in the NCAA hoops tourney, but how did these countries even qualify to play?

They ate their panfish.

Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Vidav » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

89Hen wrote:

Agreed. But also with goal differential being a tie breaker I understand why you wouldn't want to hold back. We basically just guaranteed we have the tie breaker for our group.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Postby UNI88 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote:That's just dumb. I guess it's no different than some of the first round games in the NCAA hoops tourney, but how did these countries even qualify to play?

They ate their panfish.

:rofl: Now I have to clean off my screen.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Postby SuperHornet » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 pm

You guys missed the big part of that two-touchdown win.

Alex Morgan tied Michelle Akers' record with five goals. That's amazing....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Postby 89Hen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 am

SuperHornet wrote:You guys missed the big part of that two-touchdown win.

Alex Morgan tied Michelle Akers' record with five goals. That's amazing....

Not really.

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Postby CID1990 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:51 am

There was nothing amazing or admirable about that game.

It just proved that women can be dicks just like men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ivytalk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:42 pm

USA beats Chile in a 3-0 snoozer. Second half scoreless. Americans won despite the Biden Jinx.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 93henfan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Pedro says, "Chile today. Hot tamale!"
"Hell yes we're going to take your AR-15" - the democrats

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Postby JohnStOnge » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 pm

This is as good a place to post this thought at any.

So the US women's soccer team is upset about not being paid as much as the US men's soccer team.

How about we settle the matter. Let's have a 2 of 3 series between the US women's soccer team and the US men's soccer team. If the US women's soccer team wins the series, we make sure they get paid at least as much as the men. If they don't, we quit pretending that there is some kind of equivalence and tell the US women's soccer team to STFU.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:This is as good a place to post this thought at any.

So the US women's soccer team is upset about not being paid as much as the US men's soccer team.

How about we settle the matter. Let's have a 2 of 3 series between the US women's soccer team and the US men's soccer team. If the US women's soccer team wins the series, we make sure they get paid at least as much as the men. If they don't, we quit pretending that there is some kind of equivalence and tell the US women's soccer team to STFU.

They could also try having better sportsmanship on the pitch. I found myself hoping they’d lose after they celebrated each and every goal against Thailand.

Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Vidav » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:40 pm

The women are way more successful than the men. They win us World Cup championships and Olympic gold medals. The men can't even qualify for the World Cup.

Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Postby Vidav » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm

CID1990 wrote:

They could also try having better sportsmanship on the pitch. I found myself hoping they’d lose after they celebrated each and every goal against Thailand.

Why would you not be excited to score during the World Cup? :coffee:

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Postby Chizzang » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:50 pm

Vidav wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Snowflakes

:coffee:

It's the World Cup
if you're going to roll out that pile of sh!t and call it a team you should be humiliated publicly
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Women's World Cup

Postby UNI88 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Vidav wrote:

The women are way more successful than the men. They win us World Cup championships and Olympic gold medals. The men can't even qualify for the World Cup.
JSO, it doesn't matter who would win head-to-head. Vidav is correct. The other factor is following. Do the men have more viewers than the women? If the US women's games have close to the same viewership as the men then they should be paid close to the same because they're driving similar advertising revenue.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Postby CID1990 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Vidav wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

It is poor sportsmanship to behave in that manner.

After you’re up 4-5 goals and you haven’t taken your foot off the gas ... good sports don’t behave that way.

That’s how Donald Trump personified in a sports team would behave.

If you don’t see it then maybe you just come from a different culture than I do.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Postby GannonFan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 pm

UNI88 wrote:
Vidav wrote:
JSO, it doesn't matter who would win head-to-head. Vidav is correct. The other factor is following. Do the men have more viewers than the women? If the US women's games have close to the same viewership as the men then they should be paid close to the same because they're driving similar advertising revenue.

The pay disparity basically is because of the difference in revenues between the women's World Cup and the men's World Cup, with the latter being significantly higher. There's not gobs of money in women's sports, nothing shocking about that. With that said, the US could easily avoid any bad press, and do something symbolically nice, and pay them the same amount. It wouldn't be that hard.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Women's World Cup

Postby UNI88 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 pm

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:JSO, it doesn't matter who would win head-to-head. Vidav is correct. The other factor is following. Do the men have more viewers than the women? If the US women's games have close to the same viewership as the men then they should be paid close to the same because they're driving similar advertising revenue.

The pay disparity basically is because of the difference in revenues between the women's World Cup and the men's World Cup, with the latter being significantly higher. There's not gobs of money in women's sports, nothing shocking about that. With that said, the US could easily avoid any bad press, and do something symbolically nice, and pay them the same amount. It wouldn't be that hard.
I wasn't talking about the Cups as whole. I was talking about the teams following within their respective Cups as well as other games. The US women drive a huge part of the women's Cup viewership. The US men not so much.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Women's World Cup

Postby GannonFan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I wasn't talking about the Cups as whole. I was talking about the teams following within their respective Cups as well as other games. The US women drive a huge part of the women's Cup viewership. The US men not so much.

Doesn't make a difference. In the end it's still a small pie versus a much bigger pie. And besides, I'm all for optics, pay them the same even if the women's game doesn't bring in nearly as much money as the men's game.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ivytalk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:19 am

This post is worthy of the “everyone is now dumber” speech from Billy Madison. :dunce:

CitadelGrad
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Postby CitadelGrad » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:43 am

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:JSO, it doesn't matter who would win head-to-head. Vidav is correct. The other factor is following. Do the men have more viewers than the women? If the US women's games have close to the same viewership as the men then they should be paid close to the same because they're driving similar advertising revenue.

How do you know it wouldn't be that hard. Do you have access to US Soccer's books?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Postby GannonFan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am

CitadelGrad wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

How do you know it wouldn't be that hard. Do you have access to US Soccer's books?

They've yet to cry poor when it comes to this discussion, the answer is that they don't feel it's justified based on the big gulf between revenues between the two programs. If they just don't have the money then say that. Their PR is part of the problem in this.

Return to “Other Sports”