Women's World Cup

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by Chizzang »

We're comparing professional athletes to college kids... which is the start of where this all went wrong
So lets stick with professionals (shall we?)

Secondly:
We celebrate male athletes taunting their opponents
See: ESPN

The end...
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:We're comparing professional athletes to college kids... which is the start of where this all went wrong

Secondly:

The end...
Who is we?
And we are not comparing college to professionals. We are comparing taunting examples and where they intersect with rules. The World Cup has no rules. So there is no infraction. It just comes down to personal opinion of whether you accept taunting the opponent or not.

I'd rather the players settle the score. I like when a pitcher hits a batter after a bat flip.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:We're comparing professional athletes to college kids... which is the start of where this all went wrong

Secondly:

The end...
Who is we?
And we are not comparing college to professionals. We are comparing taunting examples and where they intersect with rules. The World Cup has no rules. So there is no infraction. It just comes down to personal opinion of whether you accept taunting the opponent or not.

I'd rather the players settle the score. I like when a pitcher hits a batter after a bat flip.
Who's we..?
We are the "holier than thou"
who's feelings got hurt because somebody sipped tea in a celebration

:nod:

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

But you're right... there's no double standard
while there's a best of compilation on NFL taunting
Last edited by Chizzang on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Who is we?

Who's we..?

So are you saying that those are the same people celebrating taunting (ESPN) or are they consistent with their "hurt feelings"?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

There's no double standard here. Some people didn't like the drinking tea goal celebration, some people did. That's the case with almost every sports celebration out there. That's not a double standard, that's the same standard. Women should be celebrating that they get to be treated just like men do. When Alabama wins by 70 in football against SW/SE Alabama ST A&M, there's criticism that they ran up the score. Same thing happened with the USWNT knocking the stuffing out of a Thailand side that probably only introduced their team to the sport on the plane ride to France. When Terrell Owens runs to the dallas star in the endzone or at midfield to mock the opponent, pro-dallas people were appalled and all good people in the world were happy. Same with the tea drinking pose after scoring a goal against England, a country renowned for drinking tea. And really, the people most upset about the tea drinking celebration were the English team and fans of the English team. Again, not a double standard, just the same standard.

The USWNT should be happy they are being treated just like any other athlete on a big stage - some people will love them, some people will hate them, but they should be happy of the one thing that goes with all of that - people are watching/talking about them.

Now with all that said, the US Soccer Federation should pay them the same as the men. Easy enough to do. There's no getting around the huge difference in the amount of prize money the men's World Cup gets versus the women's World Cup (the rest of the world outside of the US has only just gotten around to letting women play sports so we've had a 40 year head start on women in sports in this country) so we're generations away, if ever, from having that equal. But the federation in our own country can certainly pay the same for national team service.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Who's we..?

So are you saying that those are the same people celebrating taunting (ESPN) or are they consistent with their "hurt feelings"?
Me thinks thou doth protest too much Tonto...
I've never heard one person complain about the NFL celebrations - in fact it's got it's own show on ESPN

:coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:There's no double standard here. Some people didn't like the drinking tea goal celebration, some people did. That's the case with almost every sports celebration out there. That's not a double standard, that's the same standard. Women should be celebrating that they get to be treated just like men do. When Alabama wins by 70 in football against SW/SE Alabama ST A&M, there's criticism that they ran up the score. Same thing happened with the USWNT knocking the stuffing out of a Thailand side that probably only introduced their team to the sport on the plane ride to France. When Terrell Owens runs to the dallas star in the endzone or at midfield to mock the opponent, pro-dallas people were appalled and all good people in the world were happy. Same with the tea drinking pose after scoring a goal against England, a country renowned for drinking tea. And really, the people most upset about the tea drinking celebration were the English team and fans of the English team. Again, not a double standard, just the same standard.

The USWNT should be happy they are being treated just like any other athlete on a big stage - some people will love them, some people will hate them, but they should be happy of the one thing that goes with all of that - people are watching/talking about them.

Now with all that said, the US Soccer Federation should pay them the same as the men. Easy enough to do. There's no getting around the huge difference in the amount of prize money the men's World Cup gets versus the women's World Cup (the rest of the world outside of the US has only just gotten around to letting women play sports so we've had a 40 year head start on women in sports in this country) so we're generations away, if ever, from having that equal. But the federation in our own country can certainly pay the same for national team service.
Well said: :nod:

I concede your point but would like to add a point if allowed (standing by)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote:
GannonFan wrote:There's no double standard here. Some people didn't like the drinking tea goal celebration, some people did. That's the case with almost every sports celebration out there. That's not a double standard, that's the same standard. Women should be celebrating that they get to be treated just like men do. When Alabama wins by 70 in football against SW/SE Alabama ST A&M, there's criticism that they ran up the score. Same thing happened with the USWNT knocking the stuffing out of a Thailand side that probably only introduced their team to the sport on the plane ride to France. When Terrell Owens runs to the dallas star in the endzone or at midfield to mock the opponent, pro-dallas people were appalled and all good people in the world were happy. Same with the tea drinking pose after scoring a goal against England, a country renowned for drinking tea. And really, the people most upset about the tea drinking celebration were the English team and fans of the English team. Again, not a double standard, just the same standard.

Ganny makes a strong argument and I will concede the point on a double standard with the stipulation that anyone who criticized Alex Morgan's tea sip but celebrates professionals taunting after dunks, touchdowns, interceptions, etc. is a hypocrite.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote:

By all means, I'm no gatekeeper.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

UNI88 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Ganny makes a strong argument and I will concede the point on a double standard with the stipulation that anyone who criticized Alex Morgan's tea sip but celebrates professionals taunting after dunks, touchdowns, interceptions, etc. is a hypocrite.
Bingo.. ^
I suspect many who complained about the now famous Tea incident
somehow love it when their team scores in the NFL and prance around like a twats
and have an organized celebration

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Chizzang wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Bingo.. ^
somehow love it when their team scores in the NFL and prance around like a twats

Or they don't post about it...
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Bingo.. ^

Or they don't post about it...
Everyone posts about everything anymore, it's the times we live in. And I'm absolutely sure there are hypocrites on both sides of the tea drinking taunt. There are certainly people who have celebrated and laughed about players/teams they like who didn't like what Alex Morgan did, and there are plenty of people who criticize players for taunting before this who thought what she did was great. It's the hazards of everyone posting every thought they have the minute they have the thought - people are bound to lack consistency in their stream of consciousness postings.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So are you saying that those are the same people celebrating taunting (ESPN) or are they consistent with their "hurt feelings"?
I've never heard one person complain about the NFL celebrations - in fact it's got it's own show on ESPN

Me. Protest?
Where?
I just said:
1. There is no double standard
2. Without rules against it, it's up to the players to decide if the celebration crossed the line.

I know that if I was playing in a game, and the celebration crossed the line (set by me), I would surely find a way to let that player know.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Chizzang wrote:
Perhaps college... sure
But pro football and baseball and basketball are over the top celebrations
Football players grabbing their balls and having 3 minute long dance parties in the end zone

and what do we do... ESPN has a weekly televised scorecard grading the best celebrations
we congratulate MEN on their celebrations

:lol:

Yeah John, she sipped tea...
fact = we expect women to act differently

Right, and people complain about taunts when NFL players do them, so where's the double standard?

And don't pretend like if the men's team had beaten England and someone had done the teacup there wouldn't be complaints on Vox and Salon about how the arrogance of Trumpism and American Exceptionalism had infected the team. But it's women who are doing so it's empowering (or something).
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Perhaps college... sure
But pro football and baseball and basketball are over the top celebrations
Football players grabbing their balls and having 3 minute long dance parties in the end zone

and what do we do... ESPN has a weekly televised scorecard grading the best celebrations
we congratulate MEN on their celebrations

Yeah John, she sipped tea...
fact = we expect women to act differently

Right, and people complain about taunts when NFL players do them, so where's the double standard?

And don't pretend like if the men's team had beaten England and someone had done the teacup there wouldn't be complaints on Vox and Salon about how the arrogance of Trumpism and American Exceptionalism had infected the team. But it's women who are doing so it's empowering (or something).
You're too late Pwns... Gannon already mopped the floor with me

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Much ado about nuttin! :)

Women should get 10 times more $$ than what the men get.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I’M OFFENDED!

LOUD NOISES!

(Excuse me while I now go to Facebook to look at ads for tea, women’s soccer, cheap airfare to England, and Anchorman tee shirts.)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

It looked like she was hitting a joint to me.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote:It looked like she was hitting a joint to me.

That thought crossed my mind as well.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: So are you saying that those are the same people celebrating taunting (ESPN) or are they consistent with their "hurt feelings"?

I don’t watch ESPN.

When you say “we” you mean “you”

“We” don’t celebrate any such thing.

In the last World Cup that one player pulled off her jersey and ran around in her sports bra when they beat the Chinese- and most people didn’t have a huge problem with it. I know I didn’t - that was celebrating a win

The tea sipping - I was fine with that as well even though it was a bit juvenile

But dancing on the grave of a team that you beat 13-0... celebrating every goal as if it was a game winner... while you leave in your starters for most of the game - THAT was sh1t sportsmanship and I don’t care what other people do in other sports

Just because the MSNBC of sports celebrates athletes being goons doesn’t make any of it less unsportsmanlike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

I conceded the point about 12 posts back CID...

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I have always said that I don't like the over the top celebration stuff with men's athletics. There's no double standard. To me the video below shows how someone should conduct themselves. It's a long video but if you watch it for any length of time you see no excessive celebration. Any time they run the video long enough you see that what he did after scoring a TD was just flip the ball to the official.

phpBB [video]
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:I conceded the point about 12 posts back CID...

Yeah well I’m in a different time zone and I need to get my whacks in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I don’t watch ESPN.

When you say “we” you mean “you”

“We” don’t celebrate any such thing.

In the last World Cup that one player pulled off her jersey and ran around in her sports bra when they beat the Chinese- and most people didn’t have a huge problem with it. I know I didn’t - that was celebrating a win
Last World Cup?

Try 20 years ago. Chastain beat the Chinks in 1999.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-