Kipchoge Breaks Time Barrier

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Kipchoge Breaks Time Barrier

Post by SuperHornet »

Eluid Kipchoge won the INEOS 1:59 Challenge in Vienna, AUT, today, and in so doing became the first person EVER to break two hours in the marathon.

I'm surprised dal didn't post this first. LOL....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eliud-kipc ... 43213.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Kipchoge Breaks Time Barrier

Post by 93henfan »

So they set up a course specifically to aid in breaking the 2 hour mark and allowed 41 pacesetters to pre-station themselves around the course?

That's quite lame.

Hopefully somebody can do it legitimately some day.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:So they set up a course specifically to aid in breaking the 2 hour mark and allowed 41 pacesetters to pre-station themselves around the course?

That's quite lame.

Roger Bannister used pacesetters when he first broke the 4 minute mile. It's just the first thing people do to break records like this (and it doesn't count as an official record, neither did Bannister's, it just crosses a line people didn't think possible).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:So they set up a course specifically to aid in breaking the 2 hour mark and allowed 41 pacesetters to pre-station themselves around the course?

That's quite lame.

Roger Bannister used pacesetters when he first broke the 4 minute mile. It's just the first thing people do to break records like this (and it doesn't count as an official record, neither did Bannister's, it just crosses a line people didn't think possible).
Right, and the course makes an even bigger difference in marathon running. A downgrade course at low altitude with cool temperature is obviously going to be much faster than anything else. Hell, there are websites for people who want to qualify for Boston that show the easiest marathons to run. There is one in PA that is entirely shaded and entirely downhill. You basically start at a mountaintop trail and coast down to the valley.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Right, and the course makes an even bigger difference in marathon running. A downgrade course at low altitude with cool temperature is obviously going to be much faster than anything else. Hell, there are websites for people who want to qualify for Boston that show the easiest marathons to run. There is one in PA that is entirely shaded and entirely downhill. You basically start at a mountaintop trail and coast down to the valley.
The ones where you can leave the course, catch a subway train, and pop up later in the race are particularly good too.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote:

That's quite lame.

There is a difference between what Bannister did and what Kipchoge did this time though. With Bannister, the pacers started at the same time he did and did not rotate on and off the track which would be a huge advantage. (Where do you see that it was not a world record for Bannister. It says here https://bringbackthemile.com/history/progressions that it is (can't find it on the IAAF site but the site I linked says "Per IAAF ratification" which is the governing body)

With Kipchoge, the pacers worked in teams, rotating in twice during each of the course’s 6-mile laps. An electric car also preceded the runners, projecting a system of lasers to show where the pacers should run. Not that he is the only one doing so now but he is also wearing shoes that have a nice spring in their step (same shoes that Kosgei wore in Chicago yesterday to shatter the women's marathon record) that some consider cheating but I guess enough are wearing them now to reduce those calls - or elevate them if times get to quick.

That said, yeah, this is a way to prove it can be done even at a gimmicky event like this one.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
There is a difference between what Bannister did and what Kipchoge did this time though. With Bannister, the pacers started at the same time he did and did not rotate on and off the track which would be a huge advantage. (Where do you see that it was not a world record for Bannister. It says here https://bringbackthemile.com/history/progressions that it is (can't find it on the IAAF site but the site I linked says "Per IAAF ratification" which is the governing body)

With Kipchoge, the pacers worked in teams, rotating in twice during each of the course’s 6-mile laps. An electric car also preceded the runners, projecting a system of lasers to show where the pacers should run. Not that he is the only one doing so now but he is also wearing shoes that have a nice spring in their step (same shoes that Kosgei wore in Chicago yesterday to shatter the women's marathon record) that some consider cheating but I guess enough are wearing them now to reduce those calls - or elevate them if times get to quick.

That said, yeah, this is a way to prove it can be done even at a gimmicky event like this one.
Just guessed at it not being a record, apparently they were more lenient back in the day regarding that. And sure, pace setters for a mile are going to be significantly different than for a marathon. I don't remember those pace setters for Bannister finishing the race (last guy probably did as Bannister only went past him in the last 250 yards or so), and even if they did, the principle is still the same. And if they had lasers back then I'm sure they would've used them - instead they had guys practice a set pace and have others with stopwatches yelling times. And Bannister tucked in behind each of the pacesetters until the end. I'm not saying it's not legit, but that's how initial breaking of records like these are done. I'm sure a non-paceset sub 2 hour marathon will happen eventually.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

The pace setters in this exhibition also ran ahead in a perfect formation to block wind, he had a motorcycle right next to him to grab his favorite sport drink whenever he needed it.
:thumb:
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:

Just guessed at it not being a record, apparently they were more lenient back in the day regarding that. And sure, pace setters for a mile are going to be significantly different than for a marathon. I don't remember those pace setters for Bannister finishing the race (last guy probably did as Bannister only went past him in the last 250 yards or so), and even if they did, the principle is still the same. And if they had lasers back then I'm sure they would've used them - instead they had guys practice a set pace and have others with stopwatches yelling times. And Bannister tucked in behind each of the pacesetters until the end. I'm not saying it's not legit, but that's how initial breaking of records like these are done. I'm sure a non-paceset sub 2 hour marathon will happen eventually.
What I meant was that not all of the pacers in the marathon race started at the beginning of the race. One group started with him and then stepped off after 6 miles when the next group came on to run their first 6 miles (Kipchoge's 2nd 6 miles). Then after another 6 miles or so, the original group stepped back on to continue their run after 30 minutes or so off so Kipchoge always had a relatively fresh set of pacers running with him.

While Bannister passed his pacers with about 200m to go in the mile, his pacers both had run the whole 1400 in front of him and he never got a fresh set of pacers. Kipchoge got a big advantage over Bannister in that way. Note that most races 800 meters and further (except for Olympics and National or World Championship races) have pacers to try to get the races as fast as possible so they all do what Bannister did to run his sub-4.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

dbackjon wrote:The pace setters in this exhibition also ran ahead in a perfect formation to block wind, he had a motorcycle right next to him to grab his favorite sport drink whenever he needed it.
I hear he also had a jet propulsion pack and wheels in his shoes. :ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:The pace setters in this exhibition also ran ahead in a perfect formation to block wind, he had a motorcycle right next to him to grab his favorite sport drink whenever he needed it.
I hear he also had a jet propulsion pack and wheels in his shoes. :ohno:
They also installed those airport people movers for approximately 24 miles of the route.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Did he go forward or backward in time when he broke the barrier?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:Did he go forward or backward in time when he broke the barrier?
He stayed under 88 mph the whole time so the flux capacitor never kicked in - stayed in present time.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I broke a time barrier ( EC(b)T to MW(b)T ) and nobody gave me a medal. :ohno: :ohno:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

That's quite lame.

This is still a great achievement.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Kipchoge Breaks Time Barrier

Post by UNI88 »

CAA Flagship wrote:I broke a time barrier ( EC(b)T to MW(b)T ) and nobody gave me a medal. :ohno: :ohno:
They were going to send you a ribbon but I broke two circumnavigating the Mountain time zone while going from MW(b)T to PC(b)T so they changed their minds and sent it to me.

It's in a box somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and send you a picture.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm