2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Re: 2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

The Rays beat the Yankees...

Again

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:29 pm The Rays beat the Yankees...

Again

Where’s JJ? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Tigers back at .500, Pale Hosers move into first.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

This year’s White Sox are a breath of fresh air. Lots of good young talent.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:44 am This year’s White Sox are a breath of fresh air. Lots of good young talent.
Jimenez and Robert are looking good.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Phillies now over .500! :shock:

Nola pitches masterful 8 innings in 6-0 shutout of Nats. Cutch with 3-run Bomb.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:28 am Phillies now over .500! :shock:

Nola pitches masterful 8 innings in 6-0 shutout of Nats. Cutch with 3-run Bomb.
Nola and Wheeler can pitch, the bullpen now has a good number of decent arms, and the lineup has been mashing the ball all year. Phillies aren't a bad team at all now. Baseball playoffs are always a flip of the coin, so at least the Phils should get in on that now. If the Eagles weren't starting up in less than 2 weeks all the attention would be on the Phils. As an aside, too, the Phils have rocked it with the cardboard cutouts all around the park. I don't think I've seen another park go the extent and number that Citizen's Bank has done. Looks like the entire lower level is filled. Philly fans are crazy like that - I don't think I would've spent that kind of money (thought it was $75) for a cardboard cutout I'd probably never see. That and the group of 10-50 fans in the "Phandemic" crew who go to every Phils home game and blow air horns out by the gate past centerfield, especially right before an opposing batter swings. It's good stuff.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:44 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:29 pm The Rays beat the Yankees...

Again

Meh. Montreal has a decent team this year. Good enough, here and there, to beat the Triple A players who are covering for the Yankees on the IL right now. But it's a punk, losing franchise managed by a thug. They do have a huge home-field advantage in every game this year, because they are so highly experienced playing with no fans in attendance.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:25 am
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:44 am

Meh. Montreal has a decent team this year. Good enough, here and there, to beat the Triple A players who are covering for the Yankees on the IL right now. But it's a punk, losing franchise managed by a thug. They do have a huge home-field advantage in every game this year, because they are so highly experienced playing with no fans in attendance.
He’s back! :lol:

Glad to see you found your way back from house-hunting in the Outer Banks. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:25 am Meh. Montreal has a decent team this year. Good enough, here and there, to beat the Triple A players who are covering for the Yankees on the IL right now. But it's a punk, losing franchise managed by a thug. They do have a huge home-field advantage in every game this year, because they are so highly experienced playing with no fans in attendance.
:suspicious: Montreal?
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:25 am Meh. Montreal has a decent team this year. Good enough, here and there, to beat the Triple A players who are covering for the Yankees on the IL right now. But it's a punk, losing franchise managed by a thug. They do have a huge home-field advantage in every game this year, because they are so highly experienced playing with no fans in attendance.
Yea. I called them Montreal. Follow baseball much? I'm pretty sure everyone else got the dig. :geek:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 am

Yea. I called them Montreal. Follow baseball much? I'm pretty sure everyone else got the dig. :geek:
I don't follow baseball much. Ugly indoor stadium? Help me out.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:06 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 am

The Rays are threatening to move half of their games to Montreal. I think the strategy is to capture the Montreal baseball market and merge that with their existing fan base of three fans.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote:
89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:06 am I don't follow baseball much. Ugly indoor stadium? Help me out.
The Rays are threatening to move half of their games to Montreal. I think the strategy is to capture the Montreal baseball market and merge that with their existing fan base of three fans.
Man, 2-8 really makes a Yankee fan bitter.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am
JoltinJoe wrote:
Man, 2-8 really makes a Yankee fan bitter.

Come on, man. Montreal swept a series from some Triple A fill-ins, and you guys have developed stupid muscles?

Lucky scheduling for the Rays. That's about it.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am Man, 2-8 really makes a Yankee fan bitter.

Come on, man. Montreal swept a series from some Triple A fill-ins, and you guys have developed stupid muscles?

The Rays had 11 pitchers on the injured list at once including three starters. What other team could still win with that? Go cry elsewhere. WIth all that money spent the Yanks should have better depth.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:58 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:06 am

:thumb:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:36 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am

The Rays had 11 pitchers on the injured list at once including three starters. What other team could still win with that? Go cry elsewhere. WIth all that money spent the Yanks should have better depth.
But the guys you are talking about are guys like Andrew Kittredge, Chaz Roe, Jalen Beeks, and Yonny Chirinos. :lol:

Look, one hot week doesn't make a season. I mean, I get that week is the biggest thing that has ever happened in Rays' baseball history -- which is actually sort of sad.

But I'm on your side. The Rays should stay in Tampa.

I think MLB should come up with a rule that a team cannot abandon a city, even one as pathetic as Tampa, until they have won one title. I mean, MLB shouldn't let a team crap all over a city for nearly a quarter of a century and then leave without winning squat.

I expect you to thank me for my support of the Rays. :thumb:
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:36 am

But the guys you are talking about are guys like Andrew Kittredge, Chaz Roe, Jalen Beeks, and Yonny Chirinos. :lol:

Look, one hot week doesn't make a season. I mean, I get that week is the biggest thing that has ever happened in Rays' baseball history -- which is actually sort of sad.

I think MLB should come up with a rule that a team cannot abandon a city, even one as pathetic as Tampa, until they have won one title. I mean, MLB shouldn't let a team crap all over a city for nearly a quarter of a century and then leave without winning squat.

In typical lawyer style you "inadvertantly" left Charlie Morton and Ryan Yarbrough off the list, though the pitchers you did mention are all solid arms.

"One hot week" does not get you the best record in th AL. I think they have won 18 or their last 21 - lawyers might not do much math, but that's a bit longer than a week.

When losing, I understand you having to resort to the "no fan" attack. Really, that's all you have. I get it.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:17 am

In typical lawyer style you "inadvertantly" left Charlie Morton and Ryan Yarbrough off the list, though the pitchers you did mention are all solid arms.

"One hot week" does not get you the best record in th AL. I think they have won 18 or their last 21 - lawyers might not do much math, but that's a bit longer than a week.

When losing, I understand you having to resort to the "no fan" attack. Really, that's all you have. I get it.
Forgive Joe. He probably lights a candle to Jeffrey Maier every night.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

The guys I named have "solid arms"???

Charlie Morton? The guy's 36 and doesn't even have a career WAR of 8.

Ryan Yarbrough? He's pretty much a league average pitcher who has pitched to some good fortune the past two seasons. Not really a big inning eater. Has awkward form and will likely see a lot of time on the IL as the MLB innings begin to mount on his arm, especially since he relies on a cutter. A year from now, he's the kind of guy who gets dealt for a player to be named later.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 am

Ryan Yarbrough? He's pretty much a league average pitcher who has pitched to some good fortune the past two seasons. Not really a big inning eater. Has awkward form and will likely see a lot of time on the IL as the MLB innings begin to mount on his arm, especially since he relies on a cutter. A year from now, he's the kind of guy who gets dealt for a player to be named later.
Morton did finish third in the Cy Young voting last year - one slot behing the guy the Yankees spent $300 million on and promptly turned into a gofer ball artist.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:03 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 am

Morton did finish third in the Cy Young voting last year - one slot behing the guy the Yankees spent $300 million on and promptly turned into a gofer ball artist.
Morton. Yea. At 35 years of age, he suddenly added 5 mph (cough, steroids, cough) to his fastball.

If we had a Baseball PED-Bust pool on this board -- you know, like the Death Pool -- Morton would be on everyone's list.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:03 am

Morton. Yea. At 35 years of age, he suddenly added 5 mph (cough, steroids, cough) to his fastball.

If we had a Baseball PED-Bust pool on this board -- you know, like the Death Pool -- Morton would be on everyone's list.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now THAT was funny.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:13 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now THAT was funny.
MLB has announced that Rays manager Kevin Cash will be suspended for 10 games due to his hissy fit during last night's post-game press conference and, when he returns, he is to be addressed as "Karen Cash" for the remainder of the 2020 season.