2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Post by 93henfan »

Philly bans fans at Eagles games for the year.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29 ... games-2020
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

And the two teams’ revenues will take another staggering hit. Will the TV money still be there in a year? It’s just a matter of time before all these outrageous player contracts collapse of their own weight.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am And the two teams’ revenues will take another staggering hit. Will the TV money still be there in a year? It’s just a matter of time before all these outrageous player contracts collapse of their own weight.
That is a good question.

I wonder how the players contracts are structured and if they still get paid if they don't play?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:39 am Philly bans fans at Eagles games for the year.

They city has since backed off that with the Eagles - apparently the Linc is considered private property. It's called a fluid situation right now, so no firm answer on whether or not they would let fans in should they play.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am And the two teams’ revenues will take another staggering hit. Will the TV money still be there in a year? It’s just a matter of time before all these outrageous player contracts collapse of their own weight.
You could argue that TV money could get a lot bigger if fans can't get to the games and the only way to watch is TV.

As for the contracts, sure, they're huge, but it's not a ponzi scheme - they get paid what the market can bear. Pro sports is still a pretty good business to be in.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yeah, lack of fans in stadiums doesn't have a ton of impact on the bottom line. TV revenue is where it's at. NASCAR is living proof of that. Their attendance has been on a mayday course for 15 years now. Of course, they're going to be in for a rude awakening when the current Fox and NBC deals expire.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 am
93henfan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:39 am Philly bans fans at Eagles games for the year.

They city has since backed off that with the Eagles - apparently the Linc is considered private property. It's called a fluid situation right now, so no firm answer on whether or not they would let fans in should they play.
The other aspect is the NFL would need to weigh the disparity in homefield advantage if, for instance, the Cowboys in yahoo-motherfucking-we-don't-care-about-COVID-or-grandma Texas were allowed to have fans, while the rest of the division in the more sensible and cerebral Northeast was empty.

Could the Eagles pipe in artificial stadium noise only when the opposition is on offense?

Interesting discussions upcoming for Mr. Goodell.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:09 am
You could argue that TV money could get a lot bigger if fans can't get to the games and the only way to watch is TV.

As for the contracts, sure, they're huge, but it's not a ponzi scheme - they get paid what the market can bear. Pro sports is still a pretty good business to be in.
What the pre-Covid market could bear. Time will tell. And the current deluge of pro athlete wokeness is a big turn-off. Pro sports fans give less of a Schitt with each passing day.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:14 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:09 am

What the pre-Covid market could bear. Time will tell. And the current deluge of pro athlete wokeness is a big turn-off. Pro sports fans give less of a Schitt with each passing day.
I don't disagree. They'll be paid whatever the leagues can afford. If interest in pro sports wanes, the dollars will follow that. I don't know if I necessarily see the interest waning, though. Put sports back on tv and people will likely watch. Open up stadiums and when people feel safe they'll go. I'm sure it could get to a tipping point eventually, but if I was betting on it I wouldn't think we're there yet.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Reports out of training camp were that the Eagles' OL looked horrible, and now the stud draft pick heir-apparent LT is done for the year. 64 year-old Jason Peters will move back to LT.

Carson Wentz better put on his matador outfit.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Shit. Wentz listed as day-to-day with lower body injury. Elliot Shorr-Parks says it’s a minor soft tissue injury. We’ll see.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Congratulations, Dallas Cowboys, 2020 NFC East Champions
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Reagor out 4 weeks.
The clock has started on Jackson. O/U is that he will be injured before the end of game 3.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:26 am Reagor out 4 weeks.
The clock has started on Jackson. O/U is that he will be injured before the end of game 3.
That's generous. He'll pull his vagina by the third quarter of game 1.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

So, will this coach work out?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am So, will this coach work out?
All depends on whether Wentz can pull on his big boy pants and get back to being an NFL QB. He forced Pederson out the door and this hire looks to be exclusively put in place to placate Wentz. Reports recently that Wentz wouldn't run plays sent in by Pederson weren't very positive on Wentz. And there's no indication that he's got a lot of friends in the locker room. Eagles are stuck with him for at least another year, but as each year goes by it will be progressively easier monetarily to move on from him. Eagles shouldn't screw up the draft this time around as either WR (Chase or Smith) should be there when they pick at #6, although Roseman likes to think he's smarter than everyone else (Whiteside and Raegor rather than Metcalf and Jefferson would say otherwise) so they couldn't always go off script. But either way, this is now a make or break year for Wentz. And if fans are back in the building this year he'll hear it if he repeats his performance of this past year.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

That just sounds like one big CF. Thanks Wentz.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 am That just sounds like one big CF. Thanks Wentz.
Now that is what I expect from a Philly fan, not a Washington Fighting Hawks fan.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:15 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 am That just sounds like one big CF. Thanks Wentz.
Now that is what I expect from a Philly fan, not a Washington Fighting Hawks fan.
:suspicious: I despise the WFT and I've been off the Wentz wagon ever since Foles won the Eagles the SB. I'm convinced if Wentz played in the SB, Brady would have one more ring.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:41 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:15 am

:suspicious: I despise the WFT and I've been off the Wentz wagon ever since Foles won the Eagles the SB. I'm convinced if Wentz played in the SB, Brady would have one more ring.
Wentz did help get Philly a nice seed in the playoffs. Playing devils advocate here, would they have made the playoffs if Foles started every game.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:55 am

Wentz did help get Philly a nice seed in the playoffs. Playing devils advocate here, would they have made the playoffs if Foles started every game.
No one is really arguing that (89's been in the Washington area too long, he's an Eagles guy but at a distance), Wentz was clearly on path for the MVP before getting hurt in that Rams game in the 2017 season. And he deserves credit for clawing out wins late in the year to sneak into the playoffs in the 2019 season. But he was mediocre coming back from the injury in 2018 (and once he was shut down Foles again took over and had the Eagles overachieving versus what they had been doing previously - Eagles wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2018, the year after the Super Bowl, without Foles taking over), and he was abysmal this past year. He's slower in terms of footspeed than he was in 2017, he's much slower in terms of making decisions than in 2017, and he's far less confident than ever really. And on top of that he's making a boatload of money, so being mediocre or just a little bit better than mediocre isn't going to get it done. Heck, Hurts didn't look fantastic when he took over, but at least he was able to get a lot more out of the offense than Wentz did. Wentz needs to win back the locker room, and given his aloofness, especially compared to a far more likeable Hurts, that might be a bridge too far for him. It didn't help that he so openly undercut the prior coach, the one who won the only Super Bowl in franchise history, and forced him out the door (think it was something like 50 years, and now just the second time ever, since a Super Bowl winning coach had been fired within 6 years of winning the Super Bowl). That's some heavy lifting Wentz has to do now, and I don't know if he's up to it. And like I said, the fanbase isn't going to give him, nor do I think he's earned it, a lot of slack here. The cap hit to trade him is much lower after this next year. Time to see if he wants to be an NFL QB. A starting one at least.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:55 am

Impossible to say, like my claim about the SB. IF Foles was healthy... yes. IMO the Eagles still make the playoffs and win the SB.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:03 am Wentz needs to win back the locker room, and given his aloofness...
Obviously none of us know what other players really think of him. For me, he's way too into Jesus, his dogs, social media and social justice to be likable in a locker room. This coming from a guy who really liked Tebow.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:03 am Wentz needs to win back the locker room, and given his aloofness...
Obviously none of us know what other players really think of him. For me, he's way too into Jesus, his dogs, social media and social justice to be likable in a locker room. This coming from a guy who really liked Tebow.
A locker room that likes him doesn't leak all of these stories about how hard he is to work with. Alshon Jeffery was one thing, he's not a nice guy, but there's been way too many other drips and drabs coming from this group.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am So, will this coach work out?
All depends on whether Wentz can pull on his big boy pants and get back to being an NFL QB. He forced Pederson out the door and this hire looks to be exclusively put in place to placate Wentz. Reports recently that Wentz wouldn't run plays sent in by Pederson weren't very positive on Wentz. And there's no indication that he's got a lot of friends in the locker room. Eagles are stuck with him for at least another year, but as each year goes by it will be progressively easier monetarily to move on from him. Eagles shouldn't screw up the draft this time around as either WR (Chase or Smith) should be there when they pick at #6, although Roseman likes to think he's smarter than everyone else (Whiteside and Raegor rather than Metcalf and Jefferson would say otherwise) so they couldn't always go off script. But either way, this is now a make or break year for Wentz. And if fans are back in the building this year he'll hear it if he repeats his performance of this past year.
Philly fans will eat him alive if he repeats his performance in front a crowd.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm