40 Years Later

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

40 Years Later

Post by 89Hen »

Saturday is the anniversary of the Miracle on Ice, but all week is the 40th of the 1980 Winter Olympics. If you weren't alive to witness this, you really can't understand how enormous it was. Had never seen this original recap that occurred during the time...

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 40 Years Later

Post by Gil Dobie »

cs.com isn't video friendly anymore.

I was in college, at a local party. A lot of us were watching the game, and smart-ass tells us it's on tape delay, and the US won. So much for the suspense, but it was a good game to watch.

This past Friday, I purchased a 1995 US Hockey Hall of Fame program signed by Herb Brooks, Dave Christian, Ken Morrow from 1980, Roger Christian, Billy Christian and James Claypool from 1960, and Henry Boucha.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

That game was definitely top 5 on my all time sports moments. I had friends who weren't hockey fans jumping up and down on bar tables as the final seconds ticked off. Amazing.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Watched the tape delay with my dad at home. We thought it was live when we watched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:57 pm Watched the tape delay with my dad at home. We thought it was live when we watched

Same with me. The bar where I watched it was in Greensboro, NC, and there wasn't a whole lot of hockey interest in my hometown back in 1980. :lol: But the buildup to that game was so amazing, (scoring late to tie Sweden, blitzing the Czechs, etc), that people just bought in.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:57 pm Watched the tape delay with my dad at home. We thought it was live when we watched

Same with me. The bar where I watched it was in Greensboro, NC, and there wasn't a whole lot of hockey interest in my hometown back in 1980. :lol: But the buildup to that game was so amazing, (scoring late to tie Sweden, blitzing the Czechs, etc), that people just bought in.
I was right up the road in Yanceyville.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Was a freshman in the dorms. Everyone, at least on my hall, were glued to TV sets throughout each game. I can remember all doors being open and guys milling around from room to room. Strohs and Old Millwaukee were the beers of choice then.

I tell my sports-crazy sons (SONS) that winning the Gold Medal, and especially beating the Soviets, was the most influential sporting event I have ever witnessed. It was not only an upset by a bunch of college kids that were thrown together weeks earlier, but it was a patriotic emotional uplift that was sorely needed at the time.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm cs.com isn't video friendly anymore.

I was in college, at a local party. A lot of us were watching the game, and smart-ass tells us it's on tape delay, and the US won. So much for the suspense, but it was a good game to watch.

This past Friday, I purchased a 1995 US Hockey Hall of Fame program signed by Herb Brooks, Dave Christian, Ken Morrow from 1980, Roger Christian, Billy Christian and James Claypool from 1960, and Henry Boucha.
I watched it with friends in a married students dorm at McNeese. I can't remember if we knew it was tape delay or not. But it was one hell of a good time. Marijuana was involved.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

What is going on with the Youtube imbeds?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:45 pm What is going on with the Youtube imbeds?
I'll save time and summarize your next 20 posts ... it's Trump's fault.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

"MOST" video formats all you have to do is post the URL in the reply box and hit submit. You dont need to use the video tags anymore. I tried to make it easier.

I fixed the first video by deleting the tags.

When you want to embed video now just copy url into reply box and hit submit. If you use the "video" buttom on the tool bar its hit and miss especially with Youtube

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Oh and I was 10 watching with my Dad and I remember he had his hands on his face and was staring in disbelief. I asked why he was so shocked and he said he couldnt even really explain what happened and how big it was as a country to beat the USSR.

Hes not a big sports guy so it still sticks out to me that he got that tied up into it at the time. My dad was chief engineer at KFBB in Montana at the time and we watched the live feed off satellite, not the prime time tape delay.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm cs.com isn't video friendly anymore.

I watched it with friends in a married students dorm at McNeese. I can't remember if we knew it was tape delay or not. But it was one hell of a good time. Marijuana was involved.
Lot of weed at parties back then, black beauties, coke, etc. I remember a big MF at the party, 6-8, 300 lb guy, that talked about being a smoke jumper, fighting fires in the mountains out west.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:43 pm "MOST" video formats all you have to do is post the URL in the reply box and hit submit. You dont need to use the video tags anymore. I tried to make it easier.

I fixed the first video by deleting the tags.

When you want to embed video now just copy url into reply box and hit submit. If you use the "video" buttom on the tool bar its hit and miss especially with Youtube
Thanks for the update and work on it, Alphie. :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I wasn't alive. What'd I miss?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Watched it at home with Mrs. Ivy. I still remember Jim McKay’s intro to the tape delay broadcast. Jim hinted at the big upset but didn’t disclose it. He had a little smirk on his face.

Up yours, Brezhnev! :mrgreen:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:43 pm Was a freshman in the dorms.
:shock: I thought you were younger than I Flaggy. Cripes, you're almost Ivy old. 8-)
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:51 am
:shock: I thought you were younger than I Flaggy. Cripes, you're almost Ivy old. 8-)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 am I wasn't alive. What'd I miss?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89, you were Ivy old when you were born. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 pm

:lol:
One thing I thought was really cool was that the US team seemed like a bunch of people you would want to party with. I remember one of the quotes that a team member (I think Eruzione) said was, "we're young, but we're immature". A good bunch.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm

One thing I thought was really cool was that the US team seemed like a bunch of people you would want to party with. I remember one of the quotes that a team member (I think Eruzione) said was, "we're young, but we're immature". A good bunch.
I got the chance to hang out for a couple hours around a firepit with one of the star players a couple years ago. He was very fun. :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Had beer and brats with the Winnipeg Jets in the fall of 1980, that included Dave Christian. I think it hockey players in general that used to be a bunch of friendly people that would sit down and party with the average person. Sometime between the North Stars leaving and the Wild starting up, the game changed, like all professional team sports.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Had beer and brats with the Winnipeg Jets in the fall of 1980, that included Dave Christian. I think it hockey players in general that used to be a bunch of friendly people that would sit down and party with the average person. Sometime between the North Stars leaving and the Wild starting up, the game changed, like all professional team sports.
I would agree to some extent, but the players seem to still be some of the most accessible in pro sports. My kids have run into Caps several times at bars over the last couple years and they're always super nice. One of the boys on 89Jr's HS hockey team lived next door to Ovi and he would hang out with them playing street hockey or video games. Had they been older, I'm sure it would have been beers.

When I was a kid playing hockey we used to play at the Spectrum and the rinks in Jersey and see Flyers players everywhere we went. A couple of their sons played for rival teams. Went to the house of my parents friends one time and was bored out of my skull, so the mom sent me to play street hockey down the culdesac and there was a guy in a mask that looked like Wayne Stephenson playing goalie. It looked like his mask, because it was him.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:49 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:44 pm

I would agree to some extent, but the players seem to still be some of the most accessible in pro sports. My kids have run into Caps several times at bars over the last couple years and they're always super nice. One of the boys on 89Jr's HS hockey team lived next door to Ovi and he would hang out with them playing street hockey or video games. Had they been older, I'm sure it would have been beers.

When I was a kid playing hockey we used to play at the Spectrum and the rinks in Jersey and see Flyers players everywhere we went. A couple of their sons played for rival teams. Went to the house of my parents friends one time and was bored out of my skull, so the mom sent me to play street hockey down the culdesac and there was a guy in a mask that looked like Wayne Stephenson playing goalie. It looked like his mask, because it was him.

There's a few players in the town I live in. One had a daughter that played hockey when my daughter played. Some of the local guys would play with them in the local arena after they retired. Now a days, if your child is any good, they go to Shattuck St Mary's, where Sidney Crosby played.

Even my friends in Winnipeg would talk about taking players out to dinner when they were in town.