The Case for Sports to Resume

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: The Case for Sports to Resume

Post by 89Hen »

Rumors persist of NHL going straight to a 24 team playoff with no fans. Can't say I'm excited about that.

Some really strange formats being discussed. Such as top 6 in each division get in. So the Black Hawks and Rangers would be sitting at home with + .500 records while the Sabres and Ducks get in with losing records. This is just stupid.

1 and 2 in each division would play each other best of three to determine 1 and 2 seed (neither eliminated), then 3 vs 6 and 4 v 5 in best of three elimination to face 1 and 2. I get what they're trying to do in 1 and 2 not having any games before having to jump into a series. Teams with a bye would be at a huge disadvantage IMO.

I'm sure everyone has an idea of what would be "fair" or good, but some of these ideas are just dumb.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:42 am Rumors persist of NHL going straight to a 24 team playoff with no fans. Can't say I'm excited about that.

Some really strange formats being discussed. Such as top 6 in each division get in. So the Black Hawks and Rangers would be sitting at home with + .500 records while the Sabres and Ducks get in with losing records. This is just stupid.

1 and 2 in each division would play each other best of three to determine 1 and 2 seed (neither eliminated), then 3 vs 6 and 4 v 5 in best of three elimination to face 1 and 2. I get what they're trying to do in 1 and 2 not having any games before having to jump into a series. Teams with a bye would be at a huge disadvantage IMO.

I'm sure everyone has an idea of what would be "fair" or good, but some of these ideas are just dumb.
* Blackhawks
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:52 am * Blackhawks
I always forget which came first.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:52 am * Blackhawks
That's ok, I have trouble spelling Capitals in their native Cyrillic. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am
89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 am
That's ok, I have trouble spelling Capitals in their native Cyrillic. :D
:rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:42 am Rumors persist of NHL going straight to a 24 team playoff with no fans. Can't say I'm excited about that.

Looks like new thought is top 12 in each conference as opposed to Top 6 in each division.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Close to official. Format decided but locations and dates still TBD.

Top 12 in each conference. Top 4 play a round robin to seed the top 4. Other 8 play best of 5 elimination to get to the Conference Quarters.

Top Four Eastern Conference Seeds:
Bruins (44-14-12)
Lightning (43-21-6)
Capitals (41-20-8)
Flyers (41-21-7)

Eastern Conference Qualifying Round:
No 5. Penguins vs. No. 12 Canadiens
No. 6. Hurricanes vs. No. 11 Rangers
No. 7. Islanders vs. No. 10 Panthers
No. 8. Maple Leafs vs. No. 9 Blue Jackets

Top Four Western Conference Seeds:
Blues (42-19-10)
Avalanche (42-20-8)
Golden Knights (39-24-8)
Stars (37-24-8)

Western Conference Qualifying Round:
No. 5 Oilers vs. No. 12 Blackhawks
No. 6 Predators vs. No. 11 Coyotes
No. 7 Canucks vs. No. 10 Wild
No. 8 Flames vs. No. 9 Jets

The Blackhawks make the playoffs! Kinda.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Since the regular season is in the record books now, Ovechkin won his 9th Rocket Richard Trophy for leading the league in goals. He is alone at the top of the list. What is most remarkable, is the era in which he's done it. Nobody recent is even close.

Pure goal scorer... Ovi > Greztky

Player # First/last

Alex Ovechkin 9 2007-20
Bobby Hull 7 1960-69
Phil Esposito 6 1969-75
Charlie Conacher 5 1930-36
Maurice Richard 5 1944-55
Gordie Howe 5 1950-63
Wayne Gretzky 5 1981-87
Babe Dye 3 1920-25
Bill Cook 3 1926-33
Mario Lemieux 3 1987-96
Brett Hull 3 1989-92
Teemu Selanne 3 1992-99
Pavel Bure 3 1993-01
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

NBA players are starting to bail.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

First 5 minutes of the vid. I didn't verify his numbers but he has a strong point. Open everything back up.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:28 pm NBA players are starting to bail.
So far just Kyrie and maybe Dwight Howard. And Kyrie wasn't going to be playing anyway due to injury. And frankly, Kyrie is still a Flat-Earther so it's hard to take him too seriously.

I think they'll play, especially as long as Lebron is good with it. Superstars still steer the boat in the NBA and Lebron has more sway than a Kyrie. If they don't play for not wanting to take the spotlight away from BLM it makes you wonder when would be a good time and whether you'd even play the season next year, and if that's the case you'd be hitting people's wallets and I don't think there's anyway it gets to that. I think they play in the Orlando bubble as planned.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pro sports are going to be almost unwatchable when the do return. The BLM, kneeling, political correctness will be shoehorned into the broadcasts at every opportunity. So now, instead of being able to use sports as an escape, it’ll be just another medium that’ll be destroyed in the name of political correctness.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Most of the focus is on the crowds in the venues but I don’t think that is the problem we are going to encounter.

Football, basketball and baseball all involve varying degrees of contact. The minute one player on a team tests positive, the whole team is going to lock down for 3 weeks. Then their opponents will be depth charged as well since they’ll have to cancel games.

College sports will be the same deal.

But here’s a novel idea on how to get the players on board with taking precautions on their off days - if a team has to forfeit due to a positive test, that team takes the L and their opponents get the W for any cancelled games.

This could be the year the Browns actually win the Super Bowl or Charleston Southern defeats NoCo for the natty in Frisco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 pm Pro sports are going to be almost unwatchable when the do return. The BLM, kneeling, political correctness will be shoehorned into the broadcasts at every opportunity. So now, instead of being able to use sports as an escape, it’ll be just another medium that’ll be destroyed in the name of political correctness.
Yep which is why I am never watching that racist shit again. I might give hockey one more chance but even they are going the PC route.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Pro sports have already started. Team sports included. Golf and auto racing are competing (albeit without fans), and the NWSL had its first nationally televised game this past weekend. (North Carolina played dirty during their 2-1 victory over Portland....)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

ISUr had a player test positive.