The Case for Sports to Resume

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: The Case for Sports to Resume

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 am The only sport I REALLY care about is returning at 10:50 for me this morning on this tee box...

Well? How’d you hit it?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 am Why not just limit fandom in attendance to those under 55? There, problem solved.
People under 55 can still get and spread the virus. It's going to spread no matter what but I don't think we want a Game Zero like they had in Italy where it spreads like wildfire afterwards. My guess is that southern states will allow fans and it will be interesting to see 1) whether stadiums/teams want to take on the risk/liability of large events and 2) what happens afterward. I know I won't be going to anything of that scale.

I know that things are much better than projected and we need to open things back up but we can't forget that Game Zero happened and could happen again.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 am Why not just limit fandom in attendance to those under 55? There, problem solved.
People under 55 can still get and spread the virus. It's going to spread no matter what but I don't think we want a Game Zero like they had in Italy where it spreads like wildfire afterwards. My guess is that southern states will allow fans and it will be interesting to see 1) whether stadiums/teams want to take on the risk/liability of large events and 2) what happens afterward. I know I won't be going to anything of that scale.

I know that things are much better than projected and we need to open things back up but we can't forget that Game Zero happened and could happen again.
Why not let anyone that is not vulnerable, go to the game, the young and the healthy are not going to fill hospitals. If we stay cautious and let the vulnerable and people that are in direct physical with the vulnerable continue to shelter in place, we should be able to move towards normalcy.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

It was a joke, 88. :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 am Well? How’d you hit it?
Should have quit after three holes. Par, par, near ace.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:45 pm

It was a joke, 88. :ohno:
Or we could all act like adults and decide if we want to go to a stadium full of people and watch a sporting event. If we get sick, take the responsibility.

OH, that is right. This is America and it is filled with TRIPs who it is never their fault and will sue to get ahead.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Yep. Many of the states or in the case of red counties in Washington who are the most insistent on “do what you want“ are seeing some of the largest spikes. Do you want a rollercoaster of re-open and close again for the next 6-12 months or a gradual re-open?

Best chance for a return of football is the latter.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 am
89Hen wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 am The only sport I REALLY care about is returning at 10:50 for me this morning on this tee box...

Well? How’d you hit it?
I’d set up to the right middle of the fairway, then adjust a little further right, waggle, look up again, then shuffle a little further right, and then double cross it into the trees on the left.

:ohno:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Golf is just now starting to open back up in my area, but you won't see ME out there. The first time I tried to play golf, I got monsooned out after three holes in Okinawa, and that was a good thing because I was already +13. I haven't gotten any better since....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 am I’d set up to the right middle of the fairway, then adjust a little further right, waggle, look up again, then shuffle a little further right, and then double cross it into the trees on the left.
:lol: It's one of 2-3 holes on that course where being able to hit it 280 gets you 30+ more yards. On a good day I can reach the end of the rise and roll it down the hill. Most of my guys are hitting hybrids or more into that par four. Me and a couple guys have PW. Got to view one of the new holes on the big course and it's going to be similar.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Where is the pin at in that hole?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:16 pm Where is the pin at in that hole?
Dogleg left. After what you see, the fairway goes down about 40 feet before coming back up to the green which would be on the line of the cart path on the far left of the photo. This would be standing at the corner.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:20 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:16 pm Where is the pin at in that hole?
Dogleg left. After what you see, the fairway goes down about 40 feet before coming back up to the green which would be on the line of the cart path on the far left of the photo. This would be standing at the corner.

Ah. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Here's some Fargo Golf Trivia for you Winterborn. The 1956 International Jaycee Junior Golf Tournament at Edgewood. Nicklaus was 16, I believe. Jackie Rule won in 56, Nicklaus won in 57 in Ohio.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Here's some Fargo Golf Trivia for you Winterborn. The 1956 International Jaycee Junior Golf Tournament at Edgewood. Nicklaus was 16, I believe. Jackie Rule won in 56, Nicklaus won in 57 in Ohio.

Neat! :nod:

Always cool to see how many famous people got around to visiting Fargo.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Good to see some live golf today, even though it was just a skins game in FL. :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm Good to see some live golf today, even though it was just a skins game in FL. :thumb:
Going head to head with NASCAR.

Watching NASCAR it occurred to me that it may be the only sport where there is honestly no impact on the participants or TV viewers if there are any fans attending. Is there another?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 am
Ivytalk wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm Good to see some live golf today, even though it was just a skins game in FL. :thumb:

Watching NASCAR it occurred to me that it may be the only sport where there is honestly no impact on the participants or TV viewers if there are any fans attending. Is there another?
No impact on the participants? That would be true ONLY if you eliminate pit lane....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:14 am
89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 am

No impact on the participants? That would be true ONLY if you eliminate pit lane....
What?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 am

What?
:rofl: Sometimes it's best not to ask.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

By the way, I kept count. I was bored out of my mind with the race yesterday at lap 23. That's when I left and went for a ride.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:27 am By the way, I kept count. I was bored out of my mind with the race yesterday at lap 23. That's when I left and went for a ride.
I watched a couple laps and realized I didn't know who was driving which number anymore. The golf was far more entertaining, and quite honestly, it sucked.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

What?
The pit box people by definition are closer than two yards together while working the car. You can at least rope off seats so the crowd is sitting two yards apart....

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 am
93henfan wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:27 am By the way, I kept count. I was bored out of my mind with the race yesterday at lap 23. That's when I left and went for a ride.
I watched a couple laps and realized I didn't know who was driving which number anymore. The golf was far more entertaining, and quite honestly, it sucked.
Fun fact. I posted it somewhere, but it bears repeating. Dover International Speedway has removed 81,000 seats in the past ten years.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:32 am

What?
The pit box people by definition are closer than two yards together while working the car. You can at least rope off seats so the crowd is sitting two yards apart....
How does having no crowd impact that? That was 89's point: that having no fans has no impact on the competition.