NBA 20-21, COVID and stuff

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

NBA 20-21, COVID and stuff

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers shut down their practice facility after 3 positive COVID tests. They are scheduled to start preseason games on Friday against Sacramento. It is unknown at this time if that will go on.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/tra ... d-19-tests
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: NBA 20-21, COVID and stuff

Post by Gil Dobie »

Been hearing a lot of talk about covid rules and fines for players and staff, forfeits for teams that can't fill a roster. Hope it works
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

It is relatively easy not to get COVID. Don't go to public places with lots of people, wear a mask, stay socially distanced, and clean your hands regularly. NBA players already have staff that grocery shop for them, that bring them meals, they take chartered flights, and they tend to have pretty comfortable homes. Basically, of all the people who can probably avoid COVID, NBA players (and really most major sports pro athletes) are particularly well suited to avoid it. So if they do get it, it's probably because they didn't do something they should do (or did something they shouldn't) and maybe fines are in order. None of this is ideal or particularly enjoyable, but with vaccines life should be much more normal in 6 months. Suck it up, enjoy the big house and the catered lifestyle, and keep cashing those millions in paychecks. Life isn't that hard for these guys.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers opened up their practice facility on Tuesday. The game Friday against the Kings is still on. Game scheduled to be on ESPN and Lillard is rumored to shoot his first shot from half court.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Season gets underway tonight. Two games nationally telecast.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-opening-ni ... s-to-watch
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Good games to start.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:35 pm Blazers opened up their practice facility on Tuesday. The game Friday against the Kings is still on. Game scheduled to be on ESPN and Lillard is rumored to shoot his first shot from half court.
Lillard and Curry have a bet when they play each other....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:28 pm
JALMOND wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:35 pm Blazers opened up their practice facility on Tuesday. The game Friday against the Kings is still on. Game scheduled to be on ESPN and Lillard is rumored to shoot his first shot from half court.
Lillard and Curry have a bet when they play each other....
Rumor is that Lillard and Curry are going to recreate the Bird-Jordan "Nothin' but net" McDonald's commercial from the 80's. :lol:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers finding a way to be worse on defense than last year. :oops:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Finally watched a close game last night. Wolves held on to beat Utah after losing ground when KAT headed to the locker room for a few minutes after landing on his wrist. No 1 pick Edwards looks good, Culver has improved. Bench looks good too.

Christmas day games were not very competitive.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Trent Jr looked good last night for the Blazers.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 am Trent Jr looked good last night for the Blazers.
Blazer defense looking better as well. Having the Wolves beat up LeBron and Davis beforehand helps as well. :D

If we can only repeat it against the Clippers, that would be nice.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:33 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 am Trent Jr looked good last night for the Blazers.
Blazer defense looking better as well. Having the Wolves beat up LeBron and Davis beforehand helps as well. :D

If we can only repeat it against the Clippers, that would be nice.
Wolves will beat up the Clippers tonight for you. Not much of a team without KAT though.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Sixers quietly going about the business of being the best team in the Eastern Conference right now. Don't underestimate the impact of veteran leadership for a young team that didn't have any of that. Green, Curry, and Howard aren't going to win games on their own, but they know how to win and more importantly they know how to set the right attitude and atmosphere. And of course having a steady hand in Doc Rivers to lead the team rather than the chaotic Brett Brown has to be an improvement as well. Sixers look like a dominant team right now, especially since they've discovered how to get the best out of Tobias Harris as well. Second unit looks promising as well - Maxey was a great draft pick, and he goes together well with the other young guns in Milton and Thybulle, and they have Howard on that group to keep them focused. Morey is a genius, came in here, got a new coach, picked up some veteran talent, and all is fixed. Brilliant.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

You try to change things, but in the end nothing really changes...

https://www.nba.com/bulls/gameday/bulls ... mprove-4-4

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

:dunce:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Timberwolves finally finished a game, and without Towns. Broke a 7 game losing streak, game up less than 100 point for the first time in 39 games.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

You know, the NBA's in a little bit of trouble here. Even in a normal year they had issues with teams resting players, rendering perhaps too many games not even worth the time to watch (for those who like the NBA to begin with, obviously for the NBA haters they weren't watching anyway). But now, just a few weeks in and guys not able to avoid COVID (again, this should be the easiest sport to play to avoid COVID but apparently getting that into the heads of the NBA brain surgeons has been too difficult), you have a lot more games that are missing significant players and games have become uncompetitive. It's like watching summer league games. Sure, there's 5 minutes of interest, and then you realize you're watching something other than the top tier talent and you change the channel. Baseball figured their stuff out, and football did as well, but the NBA' s going to need to do this soon or it's going to be a disaster and an unwatchable regular season.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 am You know, the NBA's in a little bit of trouble here. Even in a normal year they had issues with teams resting players, rendering perhaps too many games not even worth the time to watch (for those who like the NBA to begin with, obviously for the NBA haters they weren't watching anyway). But now, just a few weeks in and guys not able to avoid COVID (again, this should be the easiest sport to play to avoid COVID but apparently getting that into the heads of the NBA brain surgeons has been too difficult), you have a lot more games that are missing significant players and games have become uncompetitive. It's like watching summer league games. Sure, there's 5 minutes of interest, and then you realize you're watching something other than the top tier talent and you change the channel. Baseball figured their stuff out, and football did as well, but the NBA' s going to need to do this soon or it's going to be a disaster and an unwatchable regular season.
I find it interesting to see players that don't usually play, get a chance to play. Of course, I don't mind watching summer league games either. Who will be able to navigate thru the Covid pandemic, and come out as eventual champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 am You know, the NBA's in a little bit of trouble here. Even in a normal year they had issues with teams resting players, rendering perhaps too many games not even worth the time to watch (for those who like the NBA to begin with, obviously for the NBA haters they weren't watching anyway). But now, just a few weeks in and guys not able to avoid COVID (again, this should be the easiest sport to play to avoid COVID but apparently getting that into the heads of the NBA brain surgeons has been too difficult), you have a lot more games that are missing significant players and games have become uncompetitive. It's like watching summer league games. Sure, there's 5 minutes of interest, and then you realize you're watching something other than the top tier talent and you change the channel. Baseball figured their stuff out, and football did as well, but the NBA' s going to need to do this soon or it's going to be a disaster and an unwatchable regular season.
I find it interesting to see players that don't usually play, get a chance to play. Of course, I don't mind watching summer league games either. Who will be able to navigate thru the Covid pandemic, and come out as eventual champions.
Do you love NFL preseason games too?

I know it's the case even in most years, but the regular season is just a long pre-season. The champions are really for who's best in the April to June timeframe.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

This year, more than ever, the idea of "team" is coming in to play now in this sport that tends to highlight individual efforts more than that concept. Not only are teams having to deal with the various injuries that happen during the season but also they have to adjust for the virus that will occur. Next man up. The Blazer have been lucky so far. They had to shut down the practice facility early on, yet they've only had one player so far (Little) that missed games due to the virus. The typical, often negative rap that there is nothing for the NBA player to do in Portland could actually be beneficial in a season like this.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 am

I know it's the case even in most years, but the regular season is just a long pre-season. The champions are really for who's best in the April to June timeframe.
I tend to watch Packer games during the pre-season and regular season. If Wentz is playing and it's on here, maybe, and NFC Championship game and Super Bowl.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 am

I tend to watch Packer games during the pre-season and regular season. If Wentz is playing and it's on here, maybe, and NFC Championship game and Super Bowl.
The whole pre-season game? I tend to watch the Eagles, but if I walk away from the tv after the starters or recent draft picks are no longer playing, then I don't get too worked up about it.

Might have to stock up on those Wentz watching opportunities - really on the hot seat now in Philly, gotta deliver now or he's outta here.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am

The whole pre-season game? I tend to watch the Eagles, but if I walk away from the tv after the starters or recent draft picks are no longer playing, then I don't get too worked up about it.

Might have to stock up on those Wentz watching opportunities - really on the hot seat now in Philly, gotta deliver now or he's outta here.
If he's still there next year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:24 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 pm

He's likely here now - it was either him or the coach, and they fired the coach. Besides, it was always going to be a tall order not to be here next year - that $30M+ cap hit, even if he was traded, would've at least doubled the highest historical cap hit. He's here for next year and he gets the chance to prove that Pederson was purposely hindering his play, or not.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:24 pm
He's likely here now - it was either him or the coach, and they fired the coach. Besides, it was always going to be a tall order not to be here next year - that $30M+ cap hit, even if he was traded, would've at least doubled the highest historical cap hit. He's here for next year and he gets the chance to prove that Pederson was purposely hindering his play, or not.
But who will want to coach that raging dumpster fire?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm