MLB 2021 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: MLB 2021 Season

Post by 89Hen »

Nats go above .500 for the first time since being 1-0. Not quite the same excitement at 2019 but this team could be decent. Schwarber is on a an unreal tear. First pitch of the game last night...

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Nats continuing to rake. 11-5 up on the Rays in the 7th.

Tough stretch to end the first half...

Mets
Tampa (2)
Dodgers (4)
@ Padres (4)
@ Giants (3)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Detroit posted winning records in May and June. The first time since 2016 they've had a winning record in consecutive months. Still a long way from contending, but hopefully the turnaround has started.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 am Image
Still the greatest renegotiation of a contract in sports history.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 pm Detroit posted winning records in May and June. The first time since 2016 they've had a winning record in consecutive months. Still a long way from contending, but hopefully the turnaround has started.
until they're sellers in 3 weeks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:52 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 pm Detroit posted winning records in May and June. The first time since 2016 they've had a winning record in consecutive months. Still a long way from contending, but hopefully the turnaround has started.
:lol: Yeah, there is some truth there. I expect Jonathan Schoop to be dealt at the least. That's okay if they get a good return. But some of the touted young pitchers are now in Detroit and mostly pitching well. The more promising every day players are progressing nicely in the minors. At least there's room for hope now.

And Miggy is starting to heat up a bit, so there is still a chance he could reach 3,000 hits and 500 home runs this season.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:32 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:52 pm

:lol: Yeah, there is some truth there. I expect Jonathan Schoop to be dealt at the least. That's okay if they get a good return. But some of the touted young pitchers are now in Detroit and mostly pitching well. The more promising every day players are progressing nicely in the minors. At least there's room for hope now.

And Miggy is starting to heat up a bit, so there is still a chance he could reach 3,000 hits and 500 home runs this season.
I can NOT believe he stayed through this debacle. :ohno: :ohno:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:37 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:32 pm

$30 million a year to play baseball might be influencing him a bit. :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:23 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:37 pm

He could have gotten that anywhere. AND a ring or two.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:42 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:23 am

I'm not sure. I think the Tigers would have unloaded him by now if they could have. Unfortunately, injuries and age started catching up to him not long after the huge contract extension got signed. He hasn't batted above .300 since 2016, and had 41 total HR's in the past 4 seasons. His highest RBI total in those 4 years has been 60. I don't think Detroit was finding many takers with the amount he was owed.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

All that nonsense that pitchers can't hit had better go away now. A pitcher just hit his 30th home run of the season, and it's not even the All Star Break yet. And he's doing it in the American League, where they've almost made it a rule that pitchers aren't allowed to hit.

:notworthy:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

And it's a disgrace that he was announced as the starting DH in the All Star Game the other day. He should have been named starting pitcher....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:43 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:42 am

I'm not sure. I think the Tigers would have unloaded him by now if they could have. Unfortunately, injuries and age started catching up to him not long after the huge contract extension got signed. He hasn't batted above .300 since 2016, and had 41 total HR's in the past 4 seasons. His highest RBI total in those 4 years has been 60. I don't think Detroit was finding many takers with the amount he was owed.
Probable. The confluence of events/timing did not favor him.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:51 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 am Image
Still the greatest renegotiation of a contract in sports history.
That's a weird number. Why the 20c?

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:42 pm And it's a disgrace that he was announced as the starting DH in the All Star Game the other day. He should have been named starting pitcher....
Scratch that. Ohtani just became the first player to be named to an All-Star team as BOTH a hitter AND as a pitcher. My guess is that he'll start the game at DH and then enter the field as pitcher later. His stat line will read DH-P. This would be similar to the "manager's last move" in extra innings after the bench has been depleted, whereby the DH enters the field, forcing the pitcher to bat in place of the player who left the game. I'm generally a fan of the National League because I hate the DH rule (though I did enjoy the wheeling and dealing Billy Martin-era Athletics with Rickey Henderson), but in THIS case, I'll be rooting for Ohtani to sock an HR and then get the win on the mound....

https://www.aol.com/shohei-ohtani-1st-p ... 52956.html

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

MLB draft starts tonight! Detroit has the #3 and #32 (supplemental) picks. They need to get it right. Right now, it looks like they'll take a HS pitcher or HS shortstop with the #3.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Anyone see the MLB All Star uniforms last night? If not, let me just say that they didn't wear their own team uniforms.

A plane crash would be too quick and easy for Rob Manfred. I am hoping for something much longer.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:24 am Anyone see the MLB All Star uniforms last night? If not, let me just say that they didn't wear their own team uniforms.

A plane crash would be too quick and easy for Rob Manfred. I am hoping for something much longer.
Who won? :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:51 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:24 am Anyone see the MLB All Star uniforms last night? If not, let me just say that they didn't wear their own team uniforms.

Who won? :coffee:
Not Atlanta.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

1. The uniforms were trash.

2. The use of a DH in a National League park was a disgrace.

3. The removal of the starting pitchers after ONE inning was dumb.

4. They defied baseball rules in awarding the win to a starting pitcher who only completed one inning.

5. The handling of Ohtani defied logic. Batting the pitcher leadoff is certainly innovative, but under DH rules, when the DH enters the field, the pitcher has to bat in place of the guy removed. Making the pitcher and the DH the same person confuses that. The DH shouldn't have been used at all, and Ohtani should have been allowed to pitch the entire game....

6. The NL got robbed by the umps in the 9th. Sure, the AL catcher did an incredible job fielding that wild pitch ricochet off the backstop and beat the NL runner by a mile, but the fielder was SUPER slow in getting the tag down. I clearly saw the sliding runner's foot on the bag WAY before the glove came down. SMH....

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

You mean like making him live in St. Louis?
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Manfred's about as bad a commissioner as Goodell. BOTH have to just go....

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

A question for Flaggy or others. Detroit won a game 1-0 today, with the only run being a 1st inning home run. The Tigers starter went 3 innings and the first reliever went 2 innings. The reliever got the win. Could that be because the starter may have left multiple people on base in the 4th inning? I'm not sure that he did, but I can't see any other reasons. Thanks.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:44 pm A question for Flaggy or others. Detroit won a game 1-0 today, with the only run being a 1st inning home run. The Tigers starter went 3 innings and the first reliever went 2 innings. The reliever got the win. Could that be because the starter may have left multiple people on base in the 4th inning? I'm not sure that he did, but I can't see any other reasons. Thanks.
Starter must go 5 innings to get the win. Scorer determines best pitcher after that, for the win.