2021 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2021 Motorsports Thread

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 pm
93henfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 pm

F1 has zero commercials during races, and they're over in 90 minutes. I will never go back to NASCAR.
I love the short race. :nod:

For some reason I was thinking there was a couple of small blurbs but then I watch though a through a third party service as I do not have ESPN.
Buy F1 TV for $80/year. You can stream live or watch the replay if you don't feel like waking up at 4 AM. Also you get the qualification race too. Also the F1 Youtube channel covers the practices, quali highlights and race highlights.

I'm still trying to get a handle on all the strategies and such. The announcers do a pretty good job of explaining what is going on for us noobs trying to figure it out. They were really on top of what was going on in that rainy ending in Sochi.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:05 pm Red Bull didn't have a lot to work with, honestly. This is their going away present to Honda, which is leaving F1 again after 2021. The livery is in tribute to the first Honda victory in F1 in 1965, the RA272:

I think RB retained Honda to provide oversight/advisory on the power unit and they absorbed Honda folks that were with involved with the development into RB.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hamilton takes pole, but will start 11th on the grid due to the engine change penalty. Bottas, Verstappen to start on the front row.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Verstappen back into the points lead after Istanbul. Tough decisions for Mercedes on pitting (or not) Lewis late for fresh inters. Lewis wanted to stay out. Ultimately, they brought him in and he dropped from 3rd to 5th and maintained. He probably would have dropped to at least 4th and more likely 5th anyway (behind Perez and Leclerc), so not a huge deal.

Three races in the Americas, then three in the Middle East left for all the marbles.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

93henfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Got a buddy hooked on F1 this year. He loves that it is non-stop racing with limited commercials. Him and his wife are die-hard NASCAR fans but with how little racing is actually happening at those races and the more strategy aspect of F1 (once I explained what was going on), he was hooked. We talk just about every race on what is happening and the highlights.
F1 has zero commercials during races, and they're over in 90 minutes. I will never go back to NASCAR.
I never understood the appeal of NASCAR/Indy as a TV, but did like the road courses - that seemed to be a better driving test. We had an F1 race here in Phoenix for a short period (3 years) as a street course and that was pretty cool to watch, but Bernie Ecclestone pulled the race in favor of South Africa.

This mural of Ayrton Senna (won two of the three races) is now in downtown Phoenix
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

So you guys like F1 because the races are faster. Meaning, they're so good, you want less time watching.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:52 am So you guys like F1 because the races are faster. Meaning, they're so good, you want less time watching.
Yes. I'd rather watch 1.5 hours of racing over 1.5 hours than 1.5 hours of racing over 3 hours. Plus they race rain or shine, as long as water isn't flash flooding the track.

Practically speaking, F1 limits race times because of the G-forces on the drivers. On some circuits, they're pulling over 6 lateral G's in turns. The physical demands are far greater on F1 drivers over NASCAR.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not happy that my favorite current driver has been eliminated from the NASCAR playoffs, but from what the article said, he and his team did it to themselves, from a bad pit strategy to pit speeding penalties. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

For those familiar with Impractical Jokers:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:37 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 pm

I love the short race. :nod:

For some reason I was thinking there was a couple of small blurbs but then I watch though a through a third party service as I do not have ESPN.
Buy F1 TV for $80/year. You can stream live or watch the replay if you don't feel like waking up at 4 AM. Also you get the qualification race too. Also the F1 Youtube channel covers the practices, quali highlights and race highlights.

I'm still trying to get a handle on all the strategies and such. The announcers do a pretty good job of explaining what is going on for us noobs trying to figure it out. They were really on top of what was going on in that rainy ending in Sochi.
I am leaning towards that route. Is there other races shown or just F1 (Ex: IndyCar or Blancpain GT Series)? I am assuming just F1 but thought I would ask as I typically watch a GT race now and then when I get a chance.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:37 am Verstappen back into the points lead after Istanbul. Tough decisions for Mercedes on pitting (or not) Lewis late for fresh inters. Lewis wanted to stay out. Ultimately, they brought him in and he dropped from 3rd to 5th and maintained. He probably would have dropped to at least 4th and more likely 5th anyway (behind Perez and Leclerc), so not a huge deal.

Three races in the Americas, then three in the Middle East left for all the marbles.
Just watched the replay today. Yeah I don't think the pit mattered, but it probably saved 5th for him. Gassly was coming on strong on the final laps as he had a fresher set of tires.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 pm For those familiar with Impractical Jokers:

:lol:

To be fair, if it was dry enough that risk would have paid off. He was well back in the midfield when he made that move.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm
SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:37 pm

I am leaning towards that route. Is there other races shown or just F1 (Ex: IndyCar or Blancpain GT Series)? I am assuming just F1 but thought I would ask as I typically watch a GT race now and then when I get a chance.
I think you also get F2 and F3 races but not sure. I have no interest in those.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:22 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm

I think you also get F2 and F3 races but not sure. I have no interest in those.
I like tech, especially racing tech, so I enjoy turning in.

Baja, Rally, Endurance racing, I would watch them all. Except for NASCAR, it is like watching paint dry.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Meanwhile, Ocon races on one set of tyres. What in the world!?!?! lol
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 am Meanwhile, Ocon races on one set of tyres. What in the world!?!?! lol
And was losing about 2 seconds a lap towards the end of the race.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Apparently Mercedes' concerns about tire failure if they went flag to flag on one set was valid.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

So I was congratulating Danica on her completion of the Boston Marathon, and one of my trolling buddies was messing with me again, claiming that she'd never won a race. He went so far as to claim that the footage of her win at Twin Ring Motegi was a "fake video." Man, people love to screw with me.

:mrgreen:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 am Apparently Mercedes' concerns about tire failure if they went flag to flag on one set was valid.
Yep. Had Lewis stayed out, how would those spent tires held out while he tried to hold off a charging LeClerc and Checo with fresher tires?

Maybe he hangs on, or worst case he blows a tire and gets zero points. I think the pit was the right call...of course then there is the "when should the pit have happened" discussion to have.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm
93henfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 am Apparently Mercedes' concerns about tire failure if they went flag to flag on one set was valid.
Yep. Had Lewis stayed out, how would those spent tires held out while he tried to hold off a charging LeClerc and Checo with fresher tires?

Maybe he hangs on, or worst case he blows a tire and gets zero points. I think the pit was the right call...of course then there is the "when should the pit have happened" discussion to have.
If you have access to the entire SkySports broadcast (as simulcast by ESPN), ffwd to the very end. Just before they went off the air, Toto Wolff broke it all down. In retrospect, he would have told Hamilton to get his ass in the exact moment their little black box told them to bring him in, which was 9 laps before they ultimately did.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:23 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm

If you have access to the entire SkySports broadcast (as simulcast by ESPN), ffwd to the very end. Just before they went off the air, Toto Wolff broke it all down. In retrospect, he would have told Hamilton to get his ass in the exact moment their little black box told them to bring him in, which was 9 laps before they ultimately did.
I'll have to see if it's on the F1TV replay.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Stewart to start a two-car NHRA team, largely to support fiancee Leah Pruett....

https://www.cbssports.com/motor-sports/ ... 22-season/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Kinda motorsports-related....

So Amy Grant was on the Kelly Clarkson Show this week, singing the update she did to Good For Me on the 30th Anniversary Heart in Motion album that came out a couple of months ago. She had a crazy story about the aftermath of the original release 30 years ago: the second verse starts out with, "You like to drive like Mario Andretti...I like it taking my time." He was still racing, so Amy was invited to the Indy 500, where Mario and two other Andrettis were racing. One had a piece come off his car and go into Amy's box, and one of the others had a horrific wreck. And Amy was never invited back to Indy. Cray-cray....

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:08 pm Kinda motorsports-related....

So Amy Grant was on the Kelly Clarkson Show this week, singing the update she did to Good For Me on the 30th Anniversary Heart in Motion album that came out a couple of months ago. She had a crazy story about the aftermath of the original release 30 years ago: the second verse starts out with, "You like to drive like Mario Andretti...I like it taking my time." He was still racing, so Amy was invited to the Indy 500, where Mario and two other Andrettis were racing. One had a piece come off his car and go into Amy's box, and one of the others had a horrific wreck. And Amy was never invited back to Indy. Cray-cray....
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: Homewrecking jezzebel.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Buddy of mine is heading to Texas tomorrow for the race. Spent about $1000 on tix (him and his brother), b/c he had the points he's attending a luncheon with the drivers and some other add-n experiences.

Lucky bastard.