Punt Returner Joe Theismann?!?

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Punt Returner Joe Theismann?!?

Post by SuperHornet »

So, in 1974...24 years before Taysom Hill was even born, the Washington Redskins sent rookie QB Joe Theismann out of Notre Dame in to return punts. That raised a ruckus at the time, but it didn't wasn't an issue when he did it regularly the previous three years with the Toronto Argonauts. What makes this even MORE intriguing is that Theismann, who allegedly changed the pronunciation of his name in a failed attempt to influence voters for a trophy he never won, refused to wear a "normal" facemask because it interfered with his vision; he wore a slanting single-bar facemask instead. The only footage anyone can find, though, involves a tackle Theismann made at the end of a Cowboys' fake punt (pre-Danny White, alas). This is one reason why Theismann is STILL one of the few NFC East QBs who STILL scares me. (The others are Phil Simms and Ron Jaworski.) Yes, there ARE quarterbacks who are tough enough to do odd things on a football field....

phpBB [video]

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Punt Returner Joe Theismann?!?

Post by 89Hen »

You do know there are dozens of college QB's that played other positions in the NFL? Shoot, Theismann wasn't even close to the best punt returning QB to play Redskins.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

And they all pale to this guy: :nod: :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:05 pm And they all pale to this guy: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Fun Fact - he's 22 yrs old in that photo. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:07 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:05 pm And they all pale to this guy: :nod: :nod: :nod:
Fun Fact - he's 22 yrs old in that photo. :coffee:
fun fact: AZGrizFan shares a birthday (well, not the year) with Mr. Blanda. :nod: :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sammy Baugh says hold my beer. Baugh was a 2 time NFL player of the year as a QB, teams punter, and one year lead the league in interceptions with 11, as a defensive back. 31 total interceptions in the NFL.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:25 pm
Sammy Baugh says hold my beer. Baugh was a 2 time NFL player of the year as a QB, teams punter, and one year lead the league in interceptions with 11, as a defensive back. 31 total interceptions in the NFL.

amazing stat, but a different era....their two careers only overlapped by 3 years. By Blanda's time, players had become much more specialized, and players like him were a rarity.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:25 pm

amazing stat, but a different era....their two careers only overlapped by 3 years. By Blanda's time, players had become much more specialized, and players like him were a rarity.
You have Paul Hornung who scored 176 points in a season, as a running back and kicker for the Packers.

And then there's Danny White, Dallas QB and punter.

Blanda's QB rating was well below Baugh or White.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:35 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm

You have Paul Hornung who scored 176 points in a season, as a running back and kicker for the Packers.

And then there's Danny White, Dallas QB and punter.

Blanda's QB rating was well below Baugh or White.
Oh, Blanca was a horrid QB. That’s why he didn’t play QB really until the AFL came along.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:35 pm And then there's Danny White, Dallas QB and punter.
Yes, he was a full time punter, but not close to the best punting QB in the NFC East.

Just another Eagles miracle at the Meadowlands. Too bad they can't play the Giants 16 games a year. :lol: