SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 102: One of the Weridest Plays in NFL History

Slowpoke QB Steve Bono goes 76 yards for a TD against the AZ Cardinals, and the entire defense is out of the picture before Bono even turns upfield. The commentators on this video state that he looked like a "turtle with ankle weights."

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 103: Name this Argonaut

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 104: Name this Eskimo

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 105: Girl Loses Shoe...

...yet wins the 220! She ran out of her shoe at the start, went back to put it back on, and then caught up and actually won by a large margin. Don't EVER give up!

https://www.ladbible.com/sport/girl-los ... o-20220514

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 106: Liberty Pitcher Throws No-No in Professional Debut!

Liberty pitcher Emily Kirby, who recently graduated after guiding the Flames into the NCAAT, just opened her professional softball career with a 26-0 no-hitter over the Orlando Vice! Now, THAT's the way to start a career!

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 107: Baseball Memories

OK, it wouldn't let me post the pic and the FB post, so I've posted the pic and the link. Essentially, this organist was ejected by the first base umpire 37 years ago for playing "Three Blind Mice" after a disputed call at first base during a Florida State League (Class A) game in Clearwater.

https://www.facebook.com/Baseball.Refer ... 2976331762

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 108: WFA Dynasty

Congratulations to the Boston Renegades (9-0) on their 32-12 win over the Minnesota Vixen (6-3) at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, OH, today as they won their fourth straight Women's Football Alliance Pro Division title on ESPN2! And they did it without quarterback Allison Cahill, the first woman to throw for 20,000 yards, because she was on the disabled list. Her backup, Chante Bonds, was the game MVP as she helped the Renegades to a 26-0 lead in the third quarter. An outstanding ground game led by RB Ruth Matta enabled the Renegades to overcome the loss of their soon-to-be-Hall-of-Fame quarterback Cahill. Backup QB Heather Marini came in late and also did well. Vixen rookie QB Erin Kelley had range issues most of the game (long throws just beyond the reach of her receivers), but she kept fighting and got the Vixen on the board, mainly on the strength of slant routes to Sam Barber and hard running by running back Grace Cooper, who was fighting an injury just to play.

With that, the 2022 women's football season has come to an end. I can't wait for the 2023 season to hit next spring....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 109: The Option in the NFL

Saw today that the option in the NFL is nothing new. Heck, Bill Walsh ran the Wishbone with the 49ers in the '80s. Wow....

Before you bash me for an "obvious" untruth: it was a strike game with scabs in the late '80s. And it worked. The Giants couldn't handle it, and the Wishbone led the 49ers to a blowout win on Monday Night Football, the premier game of the week....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 109: The Option in the NFL

Saw today that the option in the NFL is nothing new. Heck, Bill Walsh ran the Wishbone with the 49ers in the '80s. Wow....

Before you bash me for an "obvious" untruth: it was a strike game with scabs in the late '80s. And it worked. The Giants couldn't handle it, and the Wishbone led the 49ers to a blowout win on Monday Night Football, the premier game of the week. (Go to the second half, because the guy Walsh had running the Wishbone didn't come in until the third quarter.)

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 110: WWE NXT Women's Tag Team Champions!

As a result of a Fatal Four Way Tag Team Match, the team of Kayden Carter and Katana Chance (AKA Kacy Catanzaro from the Towson State gymnastics team and American Ninja Warrior) have been crowned Women's Tag Team Champions!

(Spoiler alert...it airs tonight.)

Woo Hoo!!!!!

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/08/02 ... S-5TMdw4QQ

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 111: The "No Fun League"?

Roger Goodell's ruination of the NFL with his bogus rule changes (the PAT becomes a field goal, and the onside kick becomes dang near impossible), and the league cracks down on celebrations with bogus "taunting" interpretations. Want a good way to alleviate that? How about we import the unlimited, multi-direction motion rules and the onside punt and field goal rules from the CFL? Even when they don't work (like Calgary's botched last-play pass-and-onside-punt attempt a few years back), they're exciting as all get out. You just have to be behind the kicker at the time he kicks it. I think it'd be worth a shot....

phpBB [video]

(The return man on this one was from Fresno State and didn't know about the onside punt rule.)

phpBB [video]

(I think this one got a first down instead of a touchdown.)

There's even a weird thing that sometimes happens at the end of a CFL game that's an off-shoot of the rouge: the kickout, which eliminates the rouge, but also can lead to punting it back and forth. This gets pretty exciting, too....

phpBB [video]

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 112: Punters Doing Naughty Things

Buffalo P Matt "Punt God" Araiza has been sued in civil court for an alleged gang rape while at San Diego State. One of the two teammates accused with Araiza is still with the Aztecs, while the other is gone.

Jax State punter Jack Dawson has been arrested for assaulting a former teammate from Troy State. He allegedly shoved a pool cue up said teammate's rear end, among other things over time. Dawson transferred to Jax State and played with them last year; he's still on the roster as they open against SFA on Saturday. What has gotten into punters?!? I would have expected this nonsense from LBers, not punters. SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jac ... 23601.html

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-p-ma ... 12033.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 113: Arkansas Linebacker Bumper Pool

This came up during the SWMOST-ARK telecast.

The dude's legal name is actually Bumper Pool. He was born James Pool, but legally changed it to Bumper Pool at 16.

:rofl:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/bumper-pool/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic #114: More Goodell Meddling

Having already ruined the game of football in the NFL, Commissioner Roger Goodell isn't done. The League already has way too many teams, and now he's proposing expansion: to wit, a four-team European Division.

Personally, I'd rather see affiliate leagues on each lived-on continent, the champions of which would go into international playoffs for an "ultimate" Super Bowl. Expanding the NFL itself would just dilute the talent even more. We already can't even have a starting quarterback go down without destroying a team's entire season (except maybe the 49ers, who just got lucky).

SMH....

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-goodell- ... 42596.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 115: Coaching Two Teams at the Same Time?

There's a high school in IN who recently asked their former girls hoops coach back, this time to coach the boys team. Then another personnel issue hit, and now they've asked her to do double duty by coaching BOTH the boys team and the girls team. The article mentions the logistical juggling involved in scheduling practices. For me, having coached track and cross country for several years, this seems relatively easy: just schedule the practices together. The hard part, for me, would be scheduling games, because unlike track and cross country, you can't do two games at the same time. Most HS and college leagues have their boys/men's and girls/women's teams on opposite schedules: if the boys/men's teams are at home, the girls/women's teams are on the road, and vice versa. The easiest option would be to ask the league to have one-court scheduling for the entire league. That might wreak havoc with freshman and JV games, but it would be the only way to do it for varsity games. It would also have the side-effect of potential reduced revenue because half of the league courts will be empty, and fans would expect to pay admission once for both games. But I think it could be done that way. I DON'T think they could wrench the schedule to have such double scheduling for games involving her school only; that would be a logistical nightmare. But if anyone can pull this off, a woman in sports can do it....

https://nfhs.org/articles/stepping-up-i ... id=4390955

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 116: New HC for Columbia (MD)-Wilde Lake HS

In another "Do you have time for this?" move, Columbia (MD)-Wilde Lake HS, concerned about how young football players are developing at the JV level, responded to an 0-7 2022 season by promoting defensive coordinator Chantal Thacker to head coach. She is simultaneously continuing her career as a LBer with the D.C. Divas. Thacker may have her training on defense, but per MaxPreps, the Wildecats (yes, that's how they spell it) are in desperate need of offense, having scored a whopping 32 points for the entire season. It's amazing that in scoring those 32 points, in most games, they lost by "only" about three touchdowns (or less). There WAS one anomaly game, a 49-0 shutout against Glenelg (9-0).

It's awesome seeing a lady get ahead in the world. I'm fully expecting .500 or better in 2023. The Divas have traditionally been one of the better teams in women's football, and that mentality should bleed over now that a Diva is head coach at Wilde Lake....

https://news.hcpss.org/news-posts/2022/ ... l-thacker/

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Tremendous effort to score on the Yotes ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Taking 88's post as Topic 117....

Topic 118: Calgary Stampeders Staff Changes

President John Hufnagel has stepped down from his secondary role as GM and appointed HC Dave Dickinson as HC/GM.

In addition, Director of Player Personnel Brendan Mahoney takes additional duties as Assistant GM. Director of US Scouting Cole Hufnagel and Director of Football Operations Nick Bojda take on additional responsibilities. Exactly what those "additional responsibilities" entail was not revealed.

https://www.stampeders.com/2022/12/12/d ... Bj-8CI5NqE

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Follow-up on the girl who became the first ever to score two TDs in a HS game: she's now the first female football player to get a NIL deal....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 119: New Female Manager in MiLB

Congratulations to Ronnie Gajownik, the first female manager in High-A, and second female manager overall in Minor League Baseball. Gajownik was hired by the Arizona Diamondbacks' High-A team, the Hillsboro Hops. She has served in the Diamondbacks' organization since 2021, and won the 2015 Pan American Games Gold Medal with the US Women's National Baseball Team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/diamondbacks-h ... 02924.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic #120: Ben Dreith

I've probably posted this before, but it's STILL one of the funniest things I've ever seen. You'll NEVER see anything like THIS in the bogus Goodell Era NFL....

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

NFL 360: Black History Month Special | THE INDELIBLE LEGACY OF JIMMY RAYE
In the 1960s, with Black athletes facing rampant prejudice and the perception that they were incapable of playing quarterback, Jimmy Raye follows Coach Duffy Daugherty's "Underground Railroad" to Michigan State. There, he becomes a star signal caller and goes on to inspire a generation of Black players and coaches.
Watched this last week. Really interesting. Raye laid the foundation for black QBs and coaches.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic #121: Eight Overtimes!

A recent game between Greely (ME) and Freyburg Academy (ME) went an incredible eight overtimes, ultimately won by Greely 117-115. There were several near buzzer-beaters to extend the game, particularly by Greely's Tyler Pettingill, who posed 40 points, something rarely seen in HS. Pettingill himself drained buckets close to the buzzer to end the second and fifth OTs. Greely's Kade Ippolito nailed the game-winning shot with 0.6 left in 8OT.

The Maine association doesn't keep records on game length, but this is surely one of the longest ever.

:o

https://www.wmtw.com/article/maine-high ... s/42731284#

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 122: WrestleMania Weekend!

I don't know if COVID was a factor, but it seems like since COVID started, WrestleMania has expanded to two nights, both of which function as pay-per-views (what WWE is inexplicably now calling "premium live" events; I can't stand changing a name just for the sake of changing a name). In any event, it's now essentially THREE WrestleMania Weekend PPVs now that NXT has added Stand and Deliver at 1000 PST Saturday Morning.

The good news is that: 1. Old School beats New School after the trio of "The Man" Becky Lynch, Lita, and Trish Stratus beat those dummies in Damage CTRL. 2. The beginning of the end for the Bloodline has started after Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn unseated The Usos for the unified Tag Team Championships.

Results:

Stand and Deliver
SAT 01 APR 23

1. Tyler Bate and Chase University (Thea Hail, Duke Hudson, and Andre Chase) d. The Schism (Ava Raine, Joe Gacy, Rip Fowler, and Jagger Reid) by pinfall in an eight-person mixed tag-team match for control of Chase University. Ava Raine is the daughter of The Rock. (On the pre-show.)

2. Indi Hartwell d. Roxanne Perez (C), Zoey Stark, Gigi Dolin, Lyra Valkyria, and Tiffany Stratton in a ladder match for the NXT Women's Championship. Perez was attempting a comeback after collapsing following a hard-fought Cachampionship match win against Japanese legend Meiko Satomura.

3. Gallus (Mark Coffey and Wolfgang) (C) d. The Family ("The Don of NXT" Tony D'Angelo and "The Underboss" Channing "Stacks" Lorenzo) and The Creed Brothers (Julius Creed and Brutus Creed with Ivy Nile of Diamond Mine) by pinfall in a triple-threat tag team match for the NXT Tag Team Championship.

4. Wes Lee (C) d. Axiom, Dragon Lee, Ilja Dragunov, and J.D. McDonagh by pinfall in a Fatal Five-Way match for the NXT North American Championship.

5. Johnny Gargano of SmackDown d. Grayson Waller by submission in an unsanctioned match. This match was set up by Waller's attack on Gargano's home, where his wife Candice LeRae and child were while Gargano was in the ring.

6. Alba Fyre and Isla Dawn d. Fallon Henley and Kiana James (C) (with Brooks Jensen and Josh Briggs) by pinfall for the NXT Women's Tag Team Championship. The approach to this match was colored by internal tension between the former champs stemming from business executive Kiana James hiding her alleged cheating in a relationship with one the former NXT Europe Tag Team Champions, who form a team with bar owner Henley.

7. Carmello Hayes (with Trick Williams) d. Bron Breakker (C) by pinfall for the NXT Heavyweight Championship. Breakker is the son of WWE legend Rick Steiner.

WrestleMania 39, Night 1
SAT 01 APR 23

1. Austin Theory (C) d. John Cena by pinfall for the United States Championship.

2. The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford) d. Braun Strowman and Riccochet, The Alpha Academy (Chad Gable and Otis), and The Viking Raiders (Erik and Ivar with Valhalla) by pinfall in a Fatal Four-Way Tag Team WrestleMania Showcase match.

3. Seth "Freakin'" Rollins d. Logan Paul (with KSI) by pinfall in a regular singles match.

4. Trish Stratus and the Women's Tag Team Champions Lita and "The Man" Becky Lynch d. Damage CTRL (Bayley, Dakota Kai, and Iyo Sky) by pinfall in a six-woman tag team match.

5. Rey Mysterio, Jr. d. Dominik Mysterio by pinfall in a grudge match. Rey's son Dom has been acting like a spoiled brat, falsely portraying his father as a deadbeat dad ever since he joined The Judgment Day clique (Finn Balor, Damian Priest, and Rhea Ripley). Rey had tried to take the high road, but finally had to agree to this match after Dom abused his mother and sister, who were sitting ringside. Dom then added "child abuser" to the false charges.

6. Rhea Ripley d. "The Queen" Charlotte Flair (C) by pinfall for the SmackDown Women's Championship. Ripley was in this match by virtue of her victory in the Women's Royal Rumble match in January.

7. Pat McAfee d. Mike "The Miz" Mizanin by pinfall in a regular singles match. I'm guessing that this was an off-the-cuff affair given how short the match was (about 3 min), and the fact that McAfee hasn't been seen on WWE television (where he's been the SmackDown color commentator) since taking a leave of absence for the NCAA football season.

8. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn d. The Usos (Jimmy and Jey) (C) by pinfall for the Undisputed WWE Men's Tag Team Championship. The Usos' Raw Tag Team Championship reign ends at 316 days, and their SmackDown Tag Team Championship reign ends at a record 622 days. This match was a long time coming, as there's been bad blood between the Bloodline and both Owens and Zayn for months following the unspeakable exit of Zayn from the Bloodline a few months back.

WrestleMania 39, Night 2
Sunday, 02 APR 23

1. Brock Lesnar d. Omos (with Montel Vontavious Porter "MVP") by pinfall in a regular singles match.

2. "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler d. Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez, Natalya Neidhart and Shotzi, and Chelsea Green and Sonya "Cruella" DeVille by submission in a Fatal-Four Way WrestleMania Showcase Tag Team match.

3. Gunther (probably with Giovanni Vinci and Ludwig Kaiser of Imperium) (C) d. Seamus and Drew McIntyre in a triple-threat match for the Intercontinental Championship. Gunther was ticked off that he's forced to defend his belt in a match where he can lose it without even being involved in the pinfall.

4. Bianca Belair (C) d. Asuka by pinfall for the Raw Women's Championship.

5. Snoop Dogg d. Mike "The Miz" Mizanin and Shane "Shane O'Mac" McMahon by pinfall in a triple-threat match.

6. Edge d. "The Demon" Finn Balor (probably with Damian Priest, Dominik Mysterio, and new WWE Women's Champion Rhea Ripley of The Judgment Day) by pinfall in a Hell in a Cell match.

7. Roman Reigns (C) (with "Wise Man" Paul Heyman and probably Solo Sikoa and the former Undisputed Tag Team Champions The Usos) d. "The American Nightmare" Cody Rhodes by pinfall for the Undisputed WWE Universal Heavyweight Championship. Rhodes is in this match by virtue of his win in the Men's Royal Rumble match in January.

What a weekend for that putz The Miz. It's not often that anyone has TWO matches on WrestleMania Weekend, and he lost BOTH of them, and to people who either haven't wrestled in a long time, or haven't wrestled AT ALL. SMH....

There will probably be other matches added tonight, as there were last night.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 123: Boxing Match in Dallas

The 05 AUG 23 boxing match between Jake Paul and Stockton's own Nate Diaz is getting weird REALLY fast. First was the news yesterday that they got in a fight at the press conference to announce their fight.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1aXK71

phpBB [video]

Then comes today's news that the Texas Athletic Commission has pre-emptively announced that they will subject Diaz to a whiz quiz, specifically for weed. If Diaz pops, he will be suspended 90 days in Texas and fined $500. If Diaz wins and pops, not only will the suspension and fine stand, his will will be overturned into a no contest. The whiz quiz will be conducted by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. Wow.....

https://www.si.com/fannation/mma/news/t ... paul-fight