SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:39 pm Topic 72: The USFL is Back!

FOX is bringing back the USFL with the original 8 team names. But there's a catch. Similar to one of the recent spring leagues, all games will be co-located in one place TBD. One suggested location is Birmingham. It's apparently all about TV, and attendance doesn't matter to the organizers.

North Division:

Michigan Panthers
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers

South Division:

Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

https://sports.yahoo.com/usfl-return-ei ... p_catchall
Philly had Chuck Fusina, Kelvin Bryant, Sam Mills. Quality team. Could've given the Eagles of that era a good game (Eagles blew in the mid '80s - Marion Campbell teams weren't that good).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

You're exactly right. The Iggles SERIOUSLY went downhill FAST when they lost Ron Jaworski. The best were the Gamblers and the Generals. Jim Kelly and Herschel Walker had them going right....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:37 am You're exactly right. The Iggles SERIOUSLY went downhill FAST when they lost Ron Jaworski. The best were the Gamblers and the Generals. Jim Kelly and Herschel Walker had them going right....
??? The Gamblers had one good year, and neither Gamblers or the Generals ever got out of the first round of the playoffs. Michigan won the first year (beat the Stars), and then the Stars won in Year 2 (while in Philly) and in Year 3 (when in Baltimore).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 73: Should the Lions Copy the Cardinals?

A columnist who sees similarities between the Lions now and the Cardinals before they hired Kliff Kingsbury thinks Detroit should follow suit and hire Ohio State HC Ryan Day.

First, I'm not sure Day would leave a "sure thing" at OSU for the dumpster fire that is Detroit. Second, the front office in Detroit is more of a problem than the coaching staff. You have to support the coach with the hiring of decent players, and the GM has utterly failed in that regard. Third, there's the issue of the quarterbacks. The Cards got lucky with Kyler Murray in that a. he's good, and b., he's a good fit for Kingsbury's offensive philosophy; even then, there was something of a learning curve for Murray, who really should have sat awhile at first. The prospect of blowing out Goff for another first round pick would only work if he were to fit with the new staff's offensive philosophy and if he were given both weapons and a decent OL, none of which are guarantees for Detroit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sh ... ar-AARaM2F

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

There are no Kyler Murray's in this year's class. Stroud isn't draft eligible.
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 74: Girl Obviously Loves Her School

Hours after Ohio State lost to Michigan, Miss Ohio USA, Nicole Wess paid tribute to the Buckeyes by wearing a team uniform on stage during the Miss USA contest. Oddly, though, the helmet she brought included the logo of undefeated Cincinnati. Wess is a Cincinnati Ph.D. candidate in chemistry, currently working in COVID clinics and loves riding motorcycles. Apparently, she's following the example of Dr. Mayim Bialik and Dr. Danica McKellar as a woman kicking shell in STEM....

Maybe they should have put her on the field. Wess looks fast. Given the motorcycles, she's one bad chick....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 75: The Dallas Cowboys Christmas Video

In 1985 and 1986, QB-P Danny White and music producer Chris Christian made Christmas videos for charity. Their take on 12 Days of Christmas (including the weird hats for Coach Landry) is classic....

https://www.crackle.com/watch/playlist/ ... mW6DczenVU

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Why is it odd that someone that goes to U of Cincinnati has a UC helmet?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 pm Why is it odd that someone that goes to U of Cincinnati has a UC helmet?
It's odd because she was wearing an otherwise Ohio State uniform. And doubly odd given that OSU had just been humiliated by Michigan....

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:21 am
dbackjon wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 pm Why is it odd that someone that goes to U of Cincinnati has a UC helmet?
It's odd because she was wearing an otherwise Ohio State uniform. And doubly odd given that OSU had just been humiliated by Michigan....
She is representing OHIO And the helmet was dual sided - one side OSU, the other UC (where she goes to school)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 61A: Chapel Hill (NC) Concludes Season

The Chapel Hill (NC) Tigers (7-4, 2-3 4A East), after enduring a mid-season slump, made the NCHSAA D-4A Playoffs, a full 64-team affair. The 30th seed in the left bracket, they lost to 3 Clayton-Cleveland (11-0, 6-0 4A East). Cleveland lost in the third round to 6 Raleigh-Cardinal Gibbons (13-2, 5-0 4A East) 29-21.

Notable for junior starting free safety Brooklyn Harker, Chapel Hill made national headlines for having a female non-kicker. A new article about her came out a few days ago, focusing on her entire development, having some autoimmune disease growing up. Like any player, Harker gets frustrated when she messes up, a problem complicated by the fact that she has to deal with male chauvinist pigs, both in the stands and on the field. One opponent, p!$$ed off that she'd just sacked their quarterback, cheap-shotted her from behind on her way back to the bench. That's not the way to play football....

https://www.espn.com/espnw/story/_/id/3 ... all-player

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BTW, not as a full topic or anything, but Brown's QBs coach for the second straight year is Heather Marini, a former quarterback herself.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 76: Sportswriter Complains about Kupp's Technical Interview Answer

A sportswriter complained about Rams WR Cooper Kupp's technical answer to a question about a TD pass. What his response boiled down to was that Kupp was confident he would score as soon as the CB on bump coverage blitzed instead, because he knew he would get past the safety. The sportswriter thought that most people wouldn't be able to decipher it, but I think he's wrong. The average football fan's knowledge of the game, while not up to specs with even a backup college player, has increased over the years because color commentators have done a decent job of educating them. The average fan now knows what a Cover Zero blitz is for that reason. While Kupp's "fire blitz" is probably Rams lingo, having seen the play, it seems clear to me that he meant a slot CB/nickel back blitz (Kupp was the slot receiver). The "safety dropping down" sounds like a robber coverage, something that I heard mentioned in another game (though in THAT game, it sounded like it was coming off of Cover 2, while I'm used to seeing Robber as a form of Cover 3).

Seeing as how the average fan's acumen is getting better through the work of today's color analysts, I think this writer should just shut up and let Kupp be....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rams-star-co ... 03782.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 77: Controversial Vrabel Tweet

The NFL posted an official tweet regarding an on-field ruling in the Chiefs-Broncos game on an incomplete pass. The completely neutral (?) Mike Vrabel, former Patriots LBer and current TEN HC, tweeted that the NFL completely blew their interpretation with a simple posting of the actual rule involved. Apparently, the play SHOULD have been ruled a catch and fumble because the receiver had made a football move with the ball in his control before losing the ball. The Internet went completely crazy at that point.

I'm sure we can expect a fine for Vrabel....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ti ... ar-AARz3Lx

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 am Topic 77: Controversial Vrabel Tweet

The NFL posted an official tweet regarding an on-field ruling in the Chiefs-Broncos game on an incomplete pass. The completely neutral (?) Mike Vrabel, former Patriots LBer and current TEN HC, tweeted that the NFL completely blew their interpretation with a simple posting of the actual rule involved. Apparently, the play SHOULD have been ruled a catch and fumble because the receiver had made a football move with the ball in his control before losing the ball. The Internet went completely crazy at that point.

I'm sure we can expect a fine for Vrabel....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ti ... ar-AARz3Lx
How are they going to justify fining Vrabel? He responded to a Tweet by quoting the actual rulebook. Did he type or say anything that actually criticized the officiating?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

88: Knowing the megalomaniac Goodell, he could take it in that nature and fine him for some non-existent "disrespect to the office" or something like that. He's the worst commissioner in the history of the sport and has ruined it, but he either doesn't know it, and he clearly doesn't care.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 78: Patriots Throw Few Passes

...in last week's blustery win at Buffalo. It's the eighth time in the Super Bowl era that a team threw five passes or fewer. Oddly, in those eight games, the team doing that stands at 7-0-1. The last team to do it was also the Patriots, in the infamous 3-0 Snowplow game against Miami. The last team to throw only THREE passes was Buffalo in a windy win over NYJ: Joe Ferguson was 0-2 while O.J. Simpson was 31-117. Joe Namath was 2-18-33-3 INT. The ultimate in this is an intentional decision by Cleveland founding head coach Paul Brown to play an entire game without passing in 1950 just to prove a point that the Browns were NOT just a "pass-trap" team; having beaten the defending NFL Champion Philadelphia Eagles 35-10 in the season opener with HOF QB Otto Graham throwing for 346 yards and 3 TDs, Brown decided that in the rematch on 03 DEC, the Browns would not throw the ball at all. The Browns won 13-7, and it wasn't even THAT close, as the Eagles didn't score until the 4th quarter. (Yes, weather was likely a factor in THAT game, too, because Eagles QB Tommy Thompson was only 8-21-81-2 INT. The opening TD was a 5'11" Warren Lahr pick six, and the Browns added two Lou Groza field goals to ensure the win.

"Modern" folk think passing is the way to go, but there are CLEARLY some situations where the running game is required.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/patriots-thr ... 21382.html

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I might have picked someone else, but Biles is certainly worthy....

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:07 am I might have picked someone else, but Biles is certainly worthy....
I saw some people were in a tizzy over that...I honestly don't know why. I'm not sure I can think of an athlete from 2021 that really stood out in a positive way.

Lebron certainly should NOT have that honor.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:07 am I might have picked someone else, but Biles is certainly worthy....
I saw some people were in a tizzy over that...I honestly don't know why. I'm not sure I can think of an athlete from 2021 that really stood out in a positive way.

Why? Take your pick:
- female
- dark-skinned
- showed weakness and brought attention to mental health issues
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:45 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 am

Why? Take your pick:
- female
- dark-skinned
- showed weakness and brought attention to mental health issues
Oh. I naively assumed it wasn't for prejudicial reasons. Silly me.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 79: One-Punch KO

YouTube sensation Jake Paul vs. former UFC Welterweight Champ Tyron Woodley this past Saturday. Ringside video shows how devastating this punch really was. The ref IMMEDIATELY declared the KO. I don't think I've seen a one-punch KO of this caliber since Moorer ate Foreman's right hand....

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote:Topic 79: One-Punch KO

YouTube sensation Jake Paul vs. former UFC Welterweight Champ Tyron Woodley this past Saturday. Ringside video shows how devastating this punch really was. The ref IMMEDIATELY declared the KO. I don't think I've seen a one-punch KO of this caliber since Moorer ate Foreman's right hand....
Wait until clenz gets a shot at SG ... ;)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 80: HS Girl is First Female Skill-Position Player to Win CO State Championship

DB Emma Strom won the Colorado 4A Championship with Littleton-Chatfield (11-3, 3-2 4A Metro 1). The #7 seed, Chatfield finished the season rated #1 in 4A, #4 in the Denver area, and #4 overall in the state. They beat previously undefeated #5 Erie (13-1, 5-0 4A Northern 1) 41-34 at Empower Field at Mile High (the successor to Mile High Stadium). Strom plans to compete in track in college, but is undecided about football.

I'm hoping she signs with Sac State for both track and football....

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/12/20/ ... s.facebook